Spark and Windows 10

MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
edited August 2015 in Mapping
Ok, fairly obvious what I'm about to ask. I just want to know because I upgraded my 2nd PC to Win 10 and I really like how it feels. It also seems that most games will work just fine based on information flow around the internet as well.

So, does anyone know if the Spark Editor works smoothly in Win 10? If not, what kind of problems are you experiencing? I will test this myself on the other PC, but I haven't got the time until in a few days at least.

Like I said, I really want to go over to Win 10 on my main machine but I can't if there are issues with Spark. Thanks for any answers guys!

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    MasterG wrote: »
    Ok, fairly obvious what I'm about to ask. I just want to know because I upgraded my 2nd PC to Win 10 and I really like how it feels. It also seems that most games will work just fine based on information flow around the internet as well.

So, does anyone know if the Spark Editor works smoothly in Win 10? If not, what kind of problems are you experiencing? I will test this myself on the other PC, but I haven't got the time until in a few days at least.

Like I said, I really want to go over to Win 10 on my main machine but I can't if there are issues with Spark. Thanks for any answers guys!

@Obraxis has just informed me that they work fine. Something about the game and editor/tools scream at you for a split second when you startup, but fine afterwards. If you run it in compatibility mode, the screaming stops... though you may never sleep again.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    Ok so I finally got around to testing it a little bit. The editor opens just fine and I tried loading Mineral as well.

There is one problem that is fairly huge though: Whenever I look in a specific direction(west in this case), mostly everything dissappears. I can see this becoming a problem when looking in that direction is needed on several occasions. I tried running in compatibility modes(both Win7/8), but that just gives me and error message when I try to open the editor for the launchpad: "Unable to initialize the render device. Please see the log for more information". I tried applying admin mode(with compatibility win8) to only the editor.exe and that just failed to launch the program all together. Adding admin mode to both the launchpad and the editor gave me the same error about the render device. Running both the launchpad and the editor with only admin mode gives the same initial directional problem. The funny thing is though, that it only happens when I've crossed the center of the grid going east.

Hopefully it makes sense. Does anyone else have this problem, and a possible workaround?

Edit: Tried adjusting the "far plane" setting, but it doesn't help.

Edit 2: Ok I tested it on my current Win7 setup and it seems to happen there as well. So it isn't a Win10 specific thing. Is this a known bug after the latest game update? I guess it has to be since it didn't happen before the Derelict release.

Edit 3: Tested several other official maps and the same thing happens there. Where can I report this to the proper authority?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    There is a known bug.
    Have you tried to lower the number of visible layers ?
    You don't need to see the whole map when you're working on it.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Ok. I'm still assuming this is a new bug since it only started happening after the last patch? At least for me.

Anyways lowering the amount of layers did solve it. But that's not an excuse to not getting it fixed imo. But as a workaround it's fine for now. Thanks!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    MasterG wrote: »
    Ok. I'm still assuming this is a new bug since it only started happening after the last patch? At least for me.

Anyways lowering the amount of layers did solve it. But that's not an excuse to not getting it fixed imo. But as a workaround it's fine for now. Thanks!

Yes, it has to do with the upgrade to visual studio 2013. We're aware of the bug and are working on a fix.
    Ok good to know! Thanks for your help