ns2_derelict feedback

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the gorge clogs up the ladder too, you can par cor up the rocks to get on the pipes too.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    More vents and maybe more obstacles in the hallways to protect vulnerable aliens. Marines control the res game in this map.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    yeah I agree with that but I am not sure of anyway to enforce that unless @samusdroid knows
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've been meaning to add no evolve surfaces for....a long time but never got around to it
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I've been meaning to add no evolve surfaces for....a long time but never got around to it

When you do this can you make it so it won't start evolving you somewhere else
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    mattji104 wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »

When you do this can you make it so it won't start evolving you somewhere else

It already does.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Oh ok so it's a different issue then. Say when I try to egg somewhere with safe angles but it moves my egg into a place 1 meter away where it dies etc
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Okay I played one round on it and it played and looked very well so far, but there are two issues:

- In Geothermal as a commander you can't see that much because the atmoshperic lights are so bright
    - when you look outside of the window, the textures look bugged and the fps drop heavily
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Oh ok so it's a different issue then. Say when I try to egg somewhere with safe angles but it moves my egg into a place 1 meter away where it dies etc

That's more of a preemptive anti-stuck mechanism so you dont spawn onos half inside walls etc.

It does seem a bit... Sensitive though. Might be worth putting on the CDT's radar to see if it can be better optimised.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    If memory serves me well, it's not a bug. The game moves you to a location where the "path" is 'available'.

The "path" in NS2 is made with a Voxel system. Simple example : imagine it rains little cubes on the map. All the cubes that hit the ground stay. The others are lost. After the rain, the algorithm use the cubes left to create a shape (with faces) that will be the so called 'path'.

The path is used to help robots like MACs/ARCs and Drifters to navigate. It avoids a lot of computation for finding the path. It's pre-calculating the areas some entity can navigate or not. It's also a convenient way to avoid bugs (like an egg stuck in a wall) and more.

It looks like that :
    4qmkbmewo22k.jpg

For example a MAC won't go on the 45° window.

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The easiest way to fix this (I've lost count of the times where I've started evolving behind an obstruction only to be moved into a hallway/in line of sight of the exit and had my egged gunned down) is to allow the egg to evolve anywhere, but move the player to the nearest voxel or whatever upon evolution completion.
    While a robust fix would be nice for the gestate location fix, I'd be overwhelmingly happy if I even had an option to make it so that it won't automatically do that. I'd ratjer move myself because of those cases where you lose a lifeform, or even the skulk upgrades and egg itself. Can effect hive defenses.
    Wheeee wrote: »
    The easiest way to fix this (I've lost count of the times where I've started evolving behind an obstruction only to be moved into a hallway/in line of sight of the exit and had my egged gunned down) is to allow the egg to evolve anywhere, but move the player to the nearest voxel or whatever upon evolution completion.

FYI there is no voxel anymore in the end, just the "path plane".

That would be a problem concerning sneaky eggs. It's already difficult to prevent a gorge from evolving everywhere. It would produce many complaints about "Tunnel base rush". I would vote for having more "protected places" where the Marines can't go unless they have serious equipment like JP.

Your bad feeling is about the Marines able go in any vent and everywhere a skulk can go. They have to know how to do it of course, but in the end they can. I think the vents should be the Alien territory on early game. It's not quite like that on many maps. I mean it's not a vent if you have to check both entries. The vents in which the marines can't go in without JP aren't the most useful. That leaves poor choices depending on who you play with.

Derelict has some vents that really should be more Alien friendly (Ex : Between Garage & Turbine).

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    FYI there is no voxel anymore in the end, just the "path plane".

Correct. The output is just a regular old mesh.
    no, my bad feeling has also occurred right inside the alien hive, because I would evolve behind a prop, my egg would get moved out into the hall, and then a marine would come in and shoot my egg. It's not going to be fixable as long as the egg is moved. I'm not sure it's even a huge issue that gorges can evolve in places, considering the availability of /unstuck now.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Feel like the only way to attempt a fix on that is allowing to evolve -everywhere- but moving the player just as it's finishing, rather then at the beginning, holding control when evolving helps with preventing this to my experience.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2015
    what about just not letting the alien egg where it knows it's going to be forced to move them? i don't like losing control of my character especially for something as potentially important as a lifeform egg.
    edited August 2015
    It should be pretty easy to fix it looks like.
    https://trello.com/c/4663UYkc
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    what about just not letting the alien egg where it knows it's going to be forced to move them? i don't like losing control of my character especially for something as potentially important as a lifeform egg.

Just fyi this was to avoid stuck issues, and when we tried that in testing initially, it was never clear why you could not evolve (no feedback).

So long as you solve that feedback issue I think it may work. (otherwise users are just going to never understand why due to some random piece of geometry that they don't notice)
    IronHorse wrote: »

Just fyi this was to avoid stuck issues, and when we tried that in testing initially, it was never clear why you could not evolve (no feedback).

So long as you solve that feedback issue I think it may work. (otherwise users are just going to never understand why due to some random piece of geometry that they don't notice)

Well, how difficult would it be to add an "evolution failed" sound/beep, and display a banner saying (not enough room) or whatever? That's miles better than taking away control over where you evolve, even more so since you have zero chance of adjusting yourself after you get teleported randomly.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wheeee wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

Well, how difficult would it be to add an "evolution failed" sound/beep, and display a banner saying (not enough room) or whatever? That's miles better than taking away control over where you evolve, even more so since you have zero chance of adjusting yourself after you get teleported randomly.
    People don't read. Do you remember sewleks balance mod? When you joined the server it had a giant glowing golden colored banner flashing on the screen until you joined a team saying "This is a balance mod" or something like that. So many people joined the server and asked "Is this server modded?"
    How it works is you get moved slightly to make enough room for the egg, and after evolving it makes room for the evolved entity
    Nordic wrote: »
    People don't read. Do you remember sewleks balance mod? When you joined the server it had a giant glowing golden colored banner flashing on the screen until you joined a team saying "This is a balance mod" or something like that. So many people joined the server and asked "Is this server modded?"

That message was displayed once, and never during gameplay. You can rest assured that if I were trying to evolve and there was an audio notification + a banner message on my screen telling me it failed, I would pay attention to it.
    Simple.
    Evolve menu pops up. Red: can't evolve; green: is ok. Making the entire menu look green or red shouldn't be out of reach.
    No new graphics, simple enough for users. It means the game should check if it is possible to evolve before the menu pops up.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Simple.
    Evolve menu pops up. Red: can't evolve; green: is ok. Making the entire menu look green or red shouldn't be out of reach.
    No new graphics, simple enough for users. It means the game should check if it is possible to evolve before the menu pops up.

You'd also need to be able to move with the menu up.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    You'd also need to be able to move with the menu up.

Well i don't mind if people feels it's necessary. I'm am not in need of this specific function.
  • MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    MyOwnOwner wrote: »
    I just leave this here:
    ge5y4xa1r2rv.jpg

Is there some rule saying the valve must be parallel with the handle? It would work fine if they were perpendicular.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MyOwnOwner wrote: »
    I just leave this here:

ge5y4xa1r2rv.jpg

No idea how @Loki could of missed this, I for one am appalled, a court hearing is in order!