Would you rather see physical upgrade options for vessels, or more vessels?

TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
I enjoy upgrading whether it be my computer, in games, or my plane tickets. I enjoy the concept of taking something I already own/have and making it better. My first experience of this coming from Armored Core, where eventually you might have a new mech from where you started from but it was upgraded as you needed buy buying new parts. Parts you could go back to as you needed as well to suit the mission at hand. From that game I always have found more attachment and pride and feel more clever when I can take on game worlds with things I put together.

So in Subnautica instead of a bunch of subs that might only be marginally different from each other, I would love to see the option to place either temporary or permanent physical upgrades. Everything from perhaps making the Cyclops function move faster on the surface, to having solar panels, maybe even an extra screw to move faster. For the Seamoth it could have the normal depth/speed upgrades, or maybe has energy banks to send out a stasis field to escape bigger threats. Regardless if it were permanent or not, having docking areas for the vessels would be a great way to implement the upgrades.

This is a similar thread about the physical upgrades for the Cyclops: For those who really wanted a boat

So which would you prefer? More vessels or more customization to create new vessels as you need them?

Comments

• IsvenIsven Warsaw, Poland Join Date: 2015-06-18 Member: 205581Members
    I think having one vessel of each type is enough (besides, where would I keep three different Cyclops-sized subs?! ^^'). Although that may change, depending on new biomes accessibility. There is supposed to be an exosuit for deep exploration, for example.
  • ShagohadShagohad Earth Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203053Members
    Yeah, it would be much more fun if we could instead upgrade and customize the vessels we will get. I still think we need two more styles of base ship, like a boat and a walking unit, but that should be it. Then we can choose spot lights, defense items, offense items, tools etc and where that all goes.
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    Great suggestions :)

I think upgrades are the best way :)
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    upgrades are great and they should add more BUT there seemed to be more ships by the concept art which looked cool. and then upgrades come to those new ones. but i would love to see more ships.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    sharvy wrote: »
    upgrades are great and they should add more BUT there seemed to be more ships by the concept art which looked cool. and then upgrades come to those new ones. but i would love to see more ships.

What other ships? I've not seen any designs for other ships on Trello.
    TerraBlade wrote: »

look at the concept art. It shows pretty awesome ships
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members

Especially that really large 2 deck sub (I know the cyclops has 2 decks, but one is basically a corridor). It looks like an awesome endgame sub - perhaps twice as large as the cyclops a capable of carrying both the Seamoth and Exosuit.
  • patchdog67patchdog67 Australia Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204101Members
    WHat if you had upgrade trees, for example you have upgrade a, b, and c for the cyclops and then you choose a, then you have option a1, a2, and a3 for upgrade but you cant have any of the b or c options. then you could have at the end of one option path a type of boat, another you could have a vessel that works well as a kind of portable base hub, and another that is excellent for traveling and exploring depths, all with the ability to combine a diffrent set of powerups along the way as well
    patchdog67 wrote: »
    WHat if you had upgrade trees, for example you have upgrade a, b, and c for the cyclops and then you choose a, then you have option a1, a2, and a3 for upgrade but you cant have any of the b or c options. then you could have at the end of one option path a type of boat, another you could have a vessel that works well as a kind of portable base hub, and another that is excellent for traveling and exploring depths, all with the ability to combine a diffrent set of powerups along the way as well

I was actually thinking of this if the devs wanted to go the permanent route. I would rather have the option to build a pool of upgrades that I could swap out as I needed them at my base. But if we had to choose a path for individual subs I wouldn't be adverse to it.

Especially that really large 2 deck sub (I know the cyclops has 2 decks, but one is basically a corridor). It looks like an awesome endgame sub - perhaps twice as large as the cyclops a capable of carrying both the Seamoth and Exosuit.

i know right!

I'm not sure where to look at the concept art, as apparently I missed it on the Trello.

My only concern about that sub would be it wouldn't fit or take up to much area. The Reefbacks which are the largest fauna yet are only just bigger then the Cyclops. I would just worry about the sea getting to crowded even in the more open parts.

Then again, putting another bay side by side to the current one in the Cyclops I don't think would make the sub to much bigger and would allow the same ability to carry both the Seamoth and Exosuit. That is part of the reason I would rather have a pool of upgrades I can swap out as needed. Since the devs themselves have questioned if they really have such a large ship, but I myself would like the ability to simply have both of the smaller craft on the Cyclops.

Heck, it would be nice if you could simply upgrade the current Cyclops to look more like that sub. Without making it bigger so you could still reach all the biomes like you can with the Cyclops.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
  • Subnautic_WolfSubnautic_Wolf North Carolina Join Date: 2015-06-21 Member: 205635Members
    I would really like to see more stuff added into both the seamoth and the Cyclops!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    If possible, I'd prefer to have a selection of special-purpose vehicle designs derived from the Seamoth, Cyclops and Exo-Suit hulls.

"Crab" : A Seamoth equipped with manipulator arms and a single cargo locker, best suited for foraging expeditions in particularly hazardous areas.
    "Torpedo" : A Seamoth equipped with a short range electro-shock defence field, intended to repel large predators.
    "Manta": A flight-capable upgrade of the Seamoth. May require the installation of additional power modules to enable this ability.

"Argo" : An upgraded special-purpose version of the Cyclops, outfitted with terrain mapping sonar, mineral sensors and marine science workstations.
    "Orpheus" : A true DSV variant of the Cyclops, upgraded to operate at extreme abyssal depths. Carries an Exo-Suit docking station and retrieval system.

"Haephestus": An Exo-Suit variant used for deep-water construction and salvage. Equipped with Constructor beam emitters, welder and Electroshock defence.
    "Talos": A modified Exo-Suit designed for exploration, mining and defensive combat. Equipped with a high-speed drill, Stasis Rifle and a Repulsion Cannon.
    "Midas" : An Exo-Suit designed specifically for detecting and collecting mineral resources. Equipped with two storage lockers and an Electroshock defence field.

• Subnautic_WolfSubnautic_Wolf North Carolina Join Date: 2015-06-21 Member: 205635Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    If possible, I'd prefer to have a selection of special-purpose vehicle designs derived from the Seamoth, Cyclops and Exo-Suit hulls.

"Crab" : A Seamoth equipped with manipulator arms and a single cargo locker, best suited for foraging expeditions in particularly hazardous areas.
    "Torpedo" : A Seamoth equipped with a short range electro-shock defence field, intended to repel large predators.
    "Manta": A flight-capable upgrade of the Seamoth. May require the installation of additional power modules to enable this ability.

"Argo" : An upgraded special-purpose version of the Cyclops, outfitted with terrain mapping sonar, mineral sensors and marine science workstations.
    "Orpheus" : A true DSV variant of the Cyclops, upgraded to operate at extreme abyssal depths. Carries an Exo-Suit docking station and retrieval system.

"Haephestus": An Exo-Suit variant used for deep-water construction and salvage. Equipped with Constructor beam emitters, welder and Electroshock defence.
    "Talos": A modified Exo-Suit designed for exploration, mining and defensive combat. Equipped with a high-speed drill, Stasis Rifle and a Repulsion Cannon.
    "Midas" : An Exo-Suit designed specifically for detecting and collecting mineral resources. Equipped with two storage lockers and an Electroshock defence field.

I completely agree with everything you just said, but the problem might be that it would take a long time to implement. But that sounds just awesome!!

I'm not sure where to look at the concept art, as apparently I missed it on the Trello.

My only concern about that sub would be it wouldn't fit or take up to much area. The Reefbacks which are the largest fauna yet are only just bigger then the Cyclops. I would just worry about the sea getting to crowded even in the more open parts.

Then again, putting another bay side by side to the current one in the Cyclops I don't think would make the sub to much bigger and would allow the same ability to carry both the Seamoth and Exosuit. That is part of the reason I would rather have a pool of upgrades I can swap out as needed. Since the devs themselves have questioned if they really have such a large ship, but I myself would like the ability to simply have both of the smaller craft on the Cyclops.

Heck, it would be nice if you could simply upgrade the current Cyclops to look more like that sub. Without making it bigger so you could still reach all the biomes like you can with the Cyclops.

what about in the upcoming lost river biome?

I completely agree with everything you just said, but the problem might be that it would take a long time to implement. But that sounds just awesome!!

oh dude your from north carolina too? awesome bro

oh dude your from north carolina too? awesome bro

Yeah dude, you too? That is awesome! lol
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Of course it would be nice to have some groundbreaking new vehicles from time to time, but as it is right now all we need are currently in or at least in the making. More different upgrade, i love to customize my stuff.
    edited June 2015
    Of course it would be nice to have some groundbreaking new vehicles from time to time, but as it is right now all we need are currently in or at least in the making. More different upgrade, i love to customize my stuff.

yah that seems more reasonable for now
  • viesta2015viesta2015 Kenosha,Wisconsin,USA Join Date: 2015-06-22 Member: 205658Members
    id like to see both but really i wanna see more vessels more >:D

Lost river biome? You guys are apparently much better at getting around trello then I am. >.>

Is it supposed to be an underwater river or some such?
  • rrichard2rrichard2 Bacon Join Date: 2015-06-17 Member: 205549Members
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members

I thought that this was the prototype for the cyclops?

Lost river biome? You guys are apparently much better at getting around trello then I am. >.>

Is it supposed to be an underwater river or some such?

no its a massive huge open water biome where the sea emperor and many other creatures will be located

I thought that this was the prototype for the cyclops?

sadly no. the cyclops always looked the same even when they were prototyping
    I do hope they change the look of some things, not that everything looks amazing right now but this game has so much potential its hard to think about what the future updates might hold, that two deck sub from the concept art "might" be implemented but its probably to big, and there might be storms and cool looking rooms. There is an unlimited amount of ideas for this game, I am really excited to see the future of it.
    I do hope they change the look of some things, not that everything looks amazing right now but this game has so much potential its hard to think about what the future updates might hold, that two deck sub from the concept art "might" be implemented but its probably to big, and there might be storms and cool looking rooms. There is an unlimited amount of ideas for this game, I am really excited to see the future of it.

your not the only one bro
  • Sold!Sold! Armenia Join Date: 2015-06-23 Member: 205701Members
  • ZajianZajian Florida Join Date: 2015-06-23 Member: 205699Members
    Both. Call me greedy, but I want more upgrades and more ship variants.