Which type of fins do you prefer

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
Hello I have concerns about the usefulness of the Ultra Glide Fins. But before jumping to conclusions i wanted to hear your opinions on the matter. So, do you use them? I personally don't. And with the Propulsion Gun in the game, this probably won't change.

Comments

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Well, i like speed. But as you said, the seaglide does the job perfectly fine. When i first saw the Ultra glides, i hoped they would at least come close to it, because with 9 slots of inventory the seaglide is no lightweight.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    With no tool in hand, using plasteel tanks and ultraglides, swimming speed is VERY close to that of a seaglide.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    When Swim Charge is too mainstream...

Honestly I knew Swim Charge was going to be winning by a land slide, so I picked Ultra Glide. 
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    Swim charge is good but if they lowered the inventory the sea glide takes them I would pick the ultra glide
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    Ultra Glide is very good. Swim Charge is good for ur guns, but u cant charge the seaglide, u don't need to have a new battery, because the seaglide battery is going up and down between 0% and 1% permanently and makes an annoying sound. I mean Ultra Glide is better because I don't want this annoying (replace battery) sound from my seaglide.
  • redterrierredterrier dk Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203049Members
    One thing I would like fixed is that equiptment like a sea glide doesn't do a weird dance like thing when charging when still in use. Maybe add like Can't be used while charging when below 10% power. theres probably a better solution so if you see one please tell or referance me, thanks!
  • RobinKumbaSyRobinKumbaSy France Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204615Members
    The Seaglide takes a lot of inventory space. A good Ultralight tanks + Ultraglide fins combinaison gives you speed and carry capacity without having to craft a battery every now and then.

Personnal opinion thought.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Very interesting! Didn't think so many were into the ultra glides.

But the whole thing just gave me an idea.
  • FrostyFishFrostyFish Unknown Liquid Bearing World Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202652Members
    Honestly I am loving the Swim Charges. I don't bother with the Sea Glide because it's too large to carry around all the time. The Swim Charge fins work great for me as it means less Copper for me to use on batteries vs. Power Cells for my Cyclops. 
  • FalcoFalco Germany Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205271Members
    I want to look around and explore, I don't need the speed that badly, so I went with the capacity tank and swim charge. Though at first I crafted the glide fins.
    Infinite energy for the stasis rife, propulsion gun, stasis rifle and flashlight is just too great to pass up on, and what feels like 15% faster really doesn't matter that much to me, I stop once in a while to take my time and look around anyway
  • drakueldrakuel california Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205230Members
    Ummm, no both option..

I value both the same, depending on what I am doing.

Deep cave diving I use charge and do not require the speed, have ship for that anyhow plus down there is dangerous creatures need my defense weapons charged at all times.

Resource gathering I change into my speed gear and can easily avoid any baddies.
  • Armygun089Armygun089 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214357Members
    @drakuel, I couldn't have said it better myself. I first went for the charge fins for the same reasons as other previous posts but, early game when resources are still a big deal it's good to move around real fast. Taking out my Seamoth with one pressure compensator, three storage modules (That's a full second inventory), and one maybe two ultralight tanks. Depending on how far I need to swim from my seamoth to collect goods for bulk storage, I may even go with no tanks to maximize gathering efficiency. Keeping the seamoth in close range, regularly refilling my O2 making quick sprints.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited March 2016
    drakuel wrote: »
    Ummm, no both option..

I value both the same, depending on what I am doing.

Deep cave diving I use charge and do not require the speed, have ship for that anyhow plus down there is dangerous creatures need my defense weapons charged at all times.

Resource gathering I change into my speed gear and can easily avoid any baddies.

I am into both options as well depending on what im doing // where im going. Sometimes ill need to recharge my guns so i go with the swim charge fins for a bit then once its all recharged i go for the ultraglide fins most of the time. In other words i use both but mainly use the Ultraglide ones

PS: On a side note, id like to add that it would be pretty cool if the Swim Charge Fins could somewhat recharge the Seaglide (during its use, not when its at 0% like now). Maybe not be as OP as to keep the Seaglide at 100% charge but maybe lower its battery consumption rate by, i dunno, 50%-60%. That way we should still need to replace the Seaglide's battery from time to time but not as often as now

EDIT: i found the answer to my last question here
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    i have both ultra glide for regular use and swim charge for when the batterys go down. than i just swim circles around my base to charge. they should add a battery charging station to the game would also make the cyclops useful.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I do occaisionally use the charge fins, but since I'm generally sparing with use of tools (except the builder) and guns (though not med-kits!) I find that I prefer the ultra-gildes
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    Charging fins all the way, I never take them off, I even sleep with then. :p
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Until the charging station is put in for batteries, there really isn't any other choice =(
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited March 2016
    Normally I use ultra glide fins + 1HC tank and no big inventory to have space for mass harvesting and long dives. It's a very compact and light inventory with lots of O2 and free space.

For space reasons I avoid the seaglide and stasis rifle, so I don't need to recharge much. And I've found ways to avoid the predators that annoy me when harvesting. Mainly I use the seamoth to get rid of them or use my quick swim speed to get in and out. The seaglide gets its recharge at my nearest moonpool, so I really have no energy problems.

It would be different if the game would be made more dangerous, but right now it's too peaceful and the predators too predictable to need any seaglide or stasis rifle.

So I'm not really against charge fins, the seaglide or the stasis rifle. I've just learned to avoid all those game threats and make myself an easy life of a big free inventory, fast swimming and long dives. It feels good.

My recommendations for the devs to get the dangers back and therefore use all those things again:
    • bring in the need to get in touch range of leviathan predators, like scanning or transfusing them
    • program surprise attacks - creatures waiting motionless and hidden near a valuable resource until the player gets near (sandsharks, biters or crabsnakes)
    • allow the leviathans like the reaper to roam big areas, so that the player doesn't know where they are
  • FlammaRilvaFlammaRilva Taiwan Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214633Members
    I have the experience of Swim Charge killed me.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    I actually perfer the extra speed. I don't use my tools near enough that I gobble up batteries and to date, I have never built a seaglide because it just takes up way too much space in my inventory.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    anything that saves making a billion batteries works for me - so swim charge all the way
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    I use swim charge only when I've run batteries low. The rest of the time I use ultraglide - wouldn't shark-wrestle without them, and I don't like the inventory toll (or battery use) of the sea glide.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I personally prefer Ultra Glide. The only thing I'd really ever charge with swim charge fins is the SeaGlide, and we all know how well that works. So, if it's out of battery, instead of trying in vain to recharge it while swimming away from a Stalker, I use Ultra Glides to just swim away from him without even needing the SeaGlide.
    Plus, Ultras counteract the speed decrease from the four increased-capacity tanks I always carry around.
  • EjemorehEjemoreh Join Date: 2016-02-19 Member: 213203Members
    I just use the superglide fins to save the 9 slots, besides if i were to go for the charge fins i would have to fully commit to the seaglide abd deal with that annoying sound it makes.
  • Suspicious_Mr_GuySuspicious_Mr_Guy Join Date: 2017-03-06 Member: 228647Members
    They updated it and swim charge can charge seaglide while you're using it.
    No argument now.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You have to hold your tool to charge it, right? Anything except a SeaGlide, and that will slow you down, as swimming one-handed is slower than two-handed in the game. So you don't get the speed boost from Ultra Glide, and everything except SeaGlide slows you down. Although now that they fixed SeaGlide power usage, this could be genuinely useful.

My ideal layout would be an Ultra light tank on my back, between 0 and 3 extra capacity tanks for extended diving (stored in a locker when not used), and Ultra Glide fins. I can always carry three or four extra batteries and toss them in the charger when I get back.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Well since they added the battery charger, I may have to rethink the fins I use. I made my preference for the Swim Charge fins when there WAS no battery charger. Now I can just pack spares, swap them out, and charge them at my base.
  • RazorLilyRazorLily Norway Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227674Members
    edited March 2017
    Swim charge fins actually charge the seaglide, %-wise. So basically with a normal battery, you extend the seaglide energy since you actually charge it while you use it, aka it decreases slower than without swim charge fins. But if you use a ion battery, the charging speed is actually faster than it consumes, since the charge is percent wise, which means it will never run out of battery. Infinite seaglide + charging for other tools = never need a single battery ever again (:

No need for; 3-4 batteries every expedition, ultralight tanks + ultrafins for a speed slower than a extended seaglide. (Or even a infinite one if you have a ion battery) I see alot of inventory space by carrying 2 high capacity tanks (one on the character) and no extra batteries needed.