Sea dishes and food

Comments

• OriberusOriberus Germany Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204263Members
    are still shells for the game planned?

So you can eat tasty also make ;)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Yea, haveing something like a giant clam (or just a clam) in the game, either as decoration, a food source, or just decorative would be cool. Maby have some sort of oyster-bed type terrain, like the patches of ground that grow mushrooms, that continually spawns some sort of shellfish.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Hey quick question the pearl that clams make, is that the equivilince of quartz.

If so that would be a pretty cool way to make a quartz farm if we were to ever get that.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    yes thats a great idea :P
    I hate to be that guy, but pearls are made of calcium carbonate and quartz is silicon dioxide, they have totally different properties. A better source of quartz would be to have crystals (and perhaps mineral nodes in general) grow in the volcanic vents. Back on food ideas, I wonder if some steamed reginalds on creepvine with an acid mushroom sauce might be good.
    So pearls could probably be used as salt, If I remember correctly salt has calcium in it so maybe it can be crushed into salt.
    Nah, table salt is sodium chloride, there are calcium salts, but they taste nasty :grimace: . A better renewable salt source would just be to boil seawater. Im not sure is pearls have any practical use, but maby they could be decorative?
    How bout pearl studed carpets in our soon to be room sized bases
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Nah, table salt is sodium chloride, there are calcium salts, but they taste nasty :grimace: . A better renewable salt source would just be to boil seawater. Im not sure is pearls have any practical use, but maby they could be decorative?

Distillation. Then you get fresh water AND salt. Personally I'd like to see a chemistry set added to the lab. Subnautica is already a game about exploration and study of a brand new world, cataloguing of creature etc. So why should we limit ourselves to that? Should advanced chemistry not have a place in the game too? The new world is bound to contain some new chemical compounds, perhaps some old ones.

I could see them being used to create a synthetic venom that you coat your knife with which will either cause consistent damage to creatures slashed, or perhaps have the effect of Wraithbone Grenades.

The Wraithbone Grenades launched by the Terrorfex go through a similar treatment process as the Soul-Seeker Ammunition, though where the Soul-Seeker rounds are treated to try and cause a maddening rage in the soul energy within, the Wraithbone grenades are treated so as to create an overwhelming sense of fear and despair. The grenades explode in the air above the target, releasing the soul energy in a haze that envelops the target. The energies cause the same feelings to swell in the target, paralyzing them with fear or sadness.

Above is quoted from the Warhammer 40K Lexicanum.
    Namely a paralyzing fear or sadness. The other option is something to enrage them, or perhaps... chemically mark creatures with a pheromone that attracts stalkers to them. Specifically interesting if you paint a stalker with it.
    Hey tarek, in experimental, they have worked on the food a bit, go to my thread for more info...

I wonder if they'll take your food ideas into account as well
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    will do hope they do :D
    Can I bring this back? Tarek are you still here? We have more food, and more descriptions of existing food, so there is more stuff to consider.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I love this so much, I'm drooling!
    I like a bit of heat in my food tho, so how about Crash vindaloo served with deep fat fried Drooping Stingers?
    Alright, Tarek may have died. But anyway, we can still come up with foods without his art. So why can't we eat biters? Seems only fair to pay them back, and their smaller than spadefish.
    I love this so much, I'm drooling!
    I like a bit of heat in my food tho, so how about Crash vindaloo served with deep fat fried Drooping Stingers?

I imagine that crashes don't have much meat, and that it tastes like sulpher. Stingers..... I'm not sure. You might be able to eat them, although harvesting them may be a problem.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited March 2016
    How about something to get you high as balls: Mesmer wing crisps with an Acid 'Shroom sauce?
    Grilled Oculus with Purple Fan crisps.
  • JokerbexJokerbex Wales Join Date: 2016-03-10 Member: 214066Members
    What about Skyrays! I have no idea what you'd have with it, but yum!
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    edited March 2016
    and what about a marblemelon stuffed and steamed with vegetables and Reginald meat ?

And, guys, what plant can make a good pepper in Subnautica ? Have we got some spicy things ? :p

Nice work dude ! This make's me hungry :D
    Bobythebee wrote: »
    and what about a marblemelon stuffed and steamed with vegetables and Reginald meat ?

And, guys, what plant can make a good pepper in Subnautica ? Have we got some spicy things ? :p

Nice work dude ! This make's me hungry :D

Well, nothing says that it specifically ISN'T spicy, so if you think something looks spicy, mabey it is. I wonder if we might be able to fill up the oversized stomach cavity garryfish apparently have with creepvine and a few acid mushrooms to make it a bit sour.
    I bet that creepvine seeds can be made into cooking oil. If we could only find something for flour, we could make fish and purple veg chips.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    More food is always great but what about new things to DRINK? Hanging fruit smoothy anyone? Melon juice? WINE to go with our fancy meals? XD
    Wheeljack wrote: »
    More food is always great but what about new things to DRINK? Hanging fruit smoothy anyone? Melon juice? WINE to go with our fancy meals? XD

Yes, why not a nice glass of orange fruit wine with our fish dinners? The only thing I wonder about is where to get yeast or some local microorganism with a similar metabolism to ferment it.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    -adopts high class accent- Und fur your enjoyment tonight, Deep Sea Explorers, ve haf de eye of de Occulus stuffed vis finely minced Reginald meat, served on a bed of sauteed Creepvine, topped vis a lovely Jellyshroom Sauce.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I would love these to go in-game, now I'm gonna have to have sushi for lunch though.....
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    Purple rattles are just asking to be stuffed with something.

Likewise stuffed-in-shell cave crawlers.

Basket plants and cone plants would make excellent garnish.

Ought to be able to get some excellent steaks out of the larger killable predators.

And of course now we have eggs.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited March 2016
    Vaknathi wrote: »
    I hadn't thought about the glowing fruits on the creepvine, but that's an excellent idea. I had been wondering about how to work in some sweeter things, they might make nice jellies or puddings, or any number of other delicious deserts.

There's a type of gelatin (agar-agar) obtained from seaweed called 'kanten', mainly used in Japanese desserts (and biological culture media).
    Simply add Hanging Fruit juice to kanten and allow to it to set. Also makes a nice dish called 'awayuki-kan' ('Snow Jelly'). :)
  • FlammaRilvaFlammaRilva Taiwan Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214633Members
    Any ideas about drinks?
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    Any ideas about drinks?

See my comment above. I suggest fruit smoothies, juice, and wine. If I wasn't lazy I'd draw them. But lazy... xD
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    biter nuggets deep fried in creepvine oil they are 94% muscle. maybe diced marble Mellon for dessert and some hanging fruit juice to wash it down.