Worried about a card I saw on the trello

SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
Hey guys-- found a card on the Design Trello (specifically this one)
https://trello.com/c/OGZPrurA/224-made-for-dushan-game-start-inspiration-awesome

DISCLAIMER: I'm not the best at curbing my tongue on the internet, so if any of this sounds like finger wagging, I really do apologize :)

That I was slightly apprehensive about. I like the way the tutorial gets the player started, but other humans shouldn't exist (in my vision of the game) in this game, even if they're dead
Especially in the safe shallows, since it already has a relatively pleasant, calming, almost awing feel to it that adding a dead, cold corpse would shatter that instantaneously. I'll bet many players would rather explore the alien wildlife, instead go towards the world they just left (I'm talking about the sunken escape pod with another dead scientist inside by the way)

As for the last paragraph... about the "emotional response..." I don't think entrusting the player to create an emotional bond with an already dead human on a beautiful alien world is a "safe" idea. I do not WANT an emotional bond with other humans, especially since they're, well, dead, lol, I want an emotional bond with the cute peepers, eyeeyes, and yes, Reefbacks to name a few. And the aquagorge... ;D

Especially since the plans for aquariums inside cyclopses and (maybe bases) would essentially allow the player to grab their favorite creature and have their own pet, right?

I get I have a very extreme view on this game, but I think the first thing that should be attempted to set up an emotional bond would be to have a peeper check you out, or some of the wildlife come over to you in the beginning as they are curious, and later they "get used to the player"-- a peeper playfully swimming around me is a hell of a lot more interesting than a dead corpse of a deceased human I never knew staring at me saying "you're the only one alive......." It's a bit cliche too :P

Cheers

Comments

• FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    I agree 247395y39573947395dndjfhdhfh4rd percent xD. Adding humans to a game like this, even dead ones, is a bit....eh.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Thanks for the support :P
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    edited February 2015
    While I agree that I enjoy the calm tranquility that a non survival playthrough employs, I can't say I totally agree with your sentiments from a logical standpoint. You can't have a huge hulking destroyed ship several hundred meters from you and not have scattered remains of it within the vicinity. In reality, that is exactly the game we're playing right now; we scavenge items from the ship that we're spread from the destruction of it's damage, reentry and subsequent crash into the large ocean. If you think about it from a gameplay perspective, the logic would be completely flawed to not have such things exist, if they didn't the crashed ship would not have any meaning. To that end, it makes sense that there would eventually be organic (human) remains found, scattered to some degree around the crash.

It's a shame, as an aerospace engineer undergrad, I'm not quite to the point where I could use the physics and math to model how a distribution pattern would likely work, but there are formulas out there to do this. (Devs, please feel free to message me any equations you guys used for this, I'd love to work out the math.)

What we have to inevitably accept is that the game is early in its development, and might change from the peaceful open world exploration thing we've got going on now, to a serious simulator or even a campaign driven game. Devs are going to develop, gamers are gonna game. ahem.. anyway.
    Frankly, I hope that they only make a cursory acknowledgement to what you or I or anyone else offers up here for game development, and go with whatever their own vision is for the game. They are the game developers, not any of us.
    I understand your position, and I'll just say that unfortunately I care not for logic! :P

No but seriously, good points-- I guess I should clarify that I don't really want them to "not exist" but I don't want the game's mechanics or the tutorial to focus on them in such the way described on that Trello card. It's in depth, and it just doesn't need to be

Thanks for staying civil ;)
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    You gotta think too, that in that kind of environment, especially when they add other predatory creatures, that corpses would not last very long, with the logic that the predators like Stalkers and Sandsharks and smaller creatures of the ecosystem would be feeding on them. and even a large ship like that might have a crew of maybe only 2-3 dozen individuals. So few bodies would be gone within a couple days.
    True... hmm. Well, as usual, this comes down to if the Devs read this (I'm assuming they're eyeing it but not saying anything) and agree with it, but who knows. Appreciate all the ideas guys :)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I think a more interesting approach might be hints that someone may have been there (or not) and may have died (or not). No horror references necessary. Just signs that someone could have been there, and now they are gone. This could spur the player on to possibly go around and search for the person. Not all questions have to be answered in life.
    ^I think I could settle for this-- such as hints that a scavenger ate a form that looks like a human corpse, something those lines
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Personally, I'm not one for dead corpses in safe shallows. Maybe in the depths or around the ship makes more sense.
    I agree completely. I think the ship wreckage ought to be where we're finding what little remains of the rest of the expedition.
    edited February 2015
    Unfortunately they're working on said card I mentioned, hopefully they're at least reading this* lol, though considering how Obraxis responded, that's a good sign ;)

As for the above posts, I would be willing to compromise on that-- at least it would make the player feel more than "oh it's really light and bright here... but I'm supposed to be worried because this guy is dead?" most players won't be afraid of that
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Personally, I'm not one for dead corpses in safe shallows. Maybe in the depths or around the ship makes more sense.

WARNING : YOU COULD BE FIRED FOR SAYING THAT!
    That would be unfortunate o.O
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    MisterYoon wrote: »

UnknownWorlds is a great studio, one where all can voice their personal opinions and be heard. :)
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015

UnknownWorlds is a great studio, one where all can voice their personal opinions and be heard. :)

You're fired. But please come to work on Monday. Bright and early.
    It does say on the website they're an informal team... hehehehe ;)
  • AresDeusAresDeus Germany Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201404Members
    Comprox wrote: »

You're fired. But please come to work on Monday. Bright and early.

That escalated quickly :)
    lol, Comprox clearly is wielding the banhammer of NS2 devteam
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    LOL at the devs going back and forth. Nice sense of humor...I'm rooting for you Obraxis. :)

Agree totally with opinion of OP, hoping there is a way the storyline can be tweaked so that bodies/personnel are mysteriously missing instead of having to rummage around the corpses. Maybe all the pods jettisoned but you were the only one that made it into one. Maybe they were all abducted from their pods by an alien organism of higher intelligence than the other creatures we find. (While we study the planet, it is studying us...especially because of the threat we pose from leaking radiation into its world - an interesting twist) Maybe the radiation dissolved/disintegrated them onboard. Or they were totally burned up in the fire. Wow that just got morbid lol. Point being I would rather not have that morbid feel in the game via corpses strewn about. Would rather enjoy the feelings of wonder, mystery, intrigue and suspense uninterrupted by the sight of human death and decay.
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    One more thought and I don't know if many other would agree, but I could care less about exploring the ship. I'd rather your development time go fully into the amazing world around the ship that I am now drawn to research and make my home apart from the wreckage of the vessel left behind. Unless there is some deeper tie in or connection that must be made for advancement in the new world, I'd rather forge my own story and tech without being required to go back in. Yes the salvage could be used and/or have blueprint containers to find, but my preference is to just leave it be (interior wise) as a backdrop, aside from saving the environment and creatures affected by the radiation poisoning.
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    Something I would say. perhaps when Coop is thought of, one method is to have multiple blinking pods that contain players, but only enough parts between all 3 to get 1 working. This is a bit of detraction from dead bodies, but what about coop itself should it come to pass at the end of development. Perhaps even, the players need to help each other. IE, someone is unable to escape their pod and is calling for help. This creates as well a survival situation where you not only must eat, but also rescue your friends. This creates a immersion of the beginnings of a bonding sequence between the people. This would work well with the idea of dispersal of the ship's parts
    I think the ship should be reserved for exploration only if there is a meaningful reason to do so... Otherwise its just there for aesthetics when other mechanics could be worked on more important than eye candy