Windows 10 x64 (nVidia) - Black Screen after opening

TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
I've yet to see any threads describing the state of this game under W10.

Basically after starting, I'm given a totally blank screen indefinitely. If I were to alt-tab, the game crashes. The firewall setting is initially prompted which shows the web content on the title must at least have gotten to the stage of it retrieving the info.

I'm on:
Windows 10 x64 b9879 (the same thing happens on the first pre-release build)
nVidia 670MX

I've tried:
Deleting NS2 and re-downloading.
Deleting NS2 folder in %appdata%.

Here's what in log.txt:
Date: 12/09/14
Time: 15:31:55:
Build 271
Windows 8 64-bit (build 9200)
Steam initialized
Num displays: 1
Direct3D 9 initialized: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX (9.18.13.4475)
Sound Device: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) stereo
Record Device: Microphone (2- High Definition Audio Device)
[ 1.361] MainThread : Error: Mod '' wasn't available
[ 1.373] MainThread : Error: Couldn't create atmospherics mesh (failed to create vertex buffer)
[ 1.856] Worker 14 : Error: Mod '' wasn't available
Mounting mod from C:/Users/Turbine/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mb174773_1387509917/
Mounting mod from C:/Users/Turbine/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m11d5a3b9_1409821742/
[ 1.869] Worker 14 : Error: Couldn't create atmospherics mesh (failed to create vertex buffer)
Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
Loading config://HistoryServers.json

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Windows 10 isn't official yet, and it has a keylogger that sends everything you do to microsoft. I really wouldn't recommend it as a day to day OS. It is also basically windows 8.1 with a few GUI tweaks right now it seems. I played around with it and that is all I saw, confirming what I read.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    First of all, try to get rid of mods, see that thread:
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136138/debug-message#latest
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    I've managed to get it working by editing "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2\system_options.xml" Replace DX9 with DX11.

@Nordic‌
    It's at least good to get a serious issue fixed in the current built, before it's put out. To be honest I was on 7 earlier, tried 8.1 twice and it was god terrible. I'm required have to have it for development currently. My other partition has Linux on.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Turbine wrote: »
    I've managed to get it working by editing "%appdata%\Natural Selection 2\system_options.xml" Replace DX9 with DX11.
    Then try to reinstall the DX9 runtime.

One of the dx9 installers are incompatible, the generic dx one runs and does nothing as it already has them.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're not supporting Windows 10 until it gets released. We simply dont have the time/manpower to support and keep up with an in-development OS that has many more months to a year before it's released.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're not supporting Windows 10 until it gets released. We simply dont have the time/manpower to support and keep up with an in-development OS that has many more months to a year before it's released.

It'll probably eventually need to happen anyway. The lack of pro-activeness is dismal. Performance has only been a concern after the game peaked.
  • HeadShotHeadShot Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187211Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can confirm the only way NS2 worked with me was to change DX9 to DX11 in the setting file.
    But I had terrible performance with every games I had on windows 10 so now I'm back to 7..
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »

It'll probably eventually need to happen anyway. The lack of pro-activeness is dismal. Performance has only been a concern after the game peaked.

You want us to be pro-active using community programmers who have limited free time, to support on an OS which isnt anywhere near finished yet?

Sorry, not going to happen. We have to prioritize and Windows 10 is not even a consideration yet.
    HeadShot wrote: »
    But I had terrible performance with every games I had on windows 10 so now I'm back to 7..

Exactly. Microsoft still have a TON of work to do in that respect. NS2 is not the only game which has issues with Windows 10 Technical Preview.

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    You realize nobody on the CDT is paid, right? ALL of the work that has been done for NS2 since the CDT has taken over is purely on free time. I'm pretty sure that all of our programmers work and/or go to school full time as well. We don't have a single person who just works on NS2.
    The lack of pro-activeness is dismal.
    The only dismal thing about this is your expectation for them to spend their limited free time attempting to support an unreleased OS instead of getting useful changes in that will affect more than just the 1%. It's extremely likely that Windows 10 is going to change so much between now and when it is released that NS2 won't function on it anyway and will need more work done. So it essentially becomes a sinkhole for their time. I bet it will be looked at more seriously when it actually gets close to being finished.

If you'd like to take a look and do some coding to make NS2 work on Windows 10, I'm sure we'd be happy to look at it and potentially include it in future builds!