NS2:Combat My toughs about the behavior of the NS2 Community

1234568»

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014
    Some saying NS2 is dead.
    Well, do you want to see a real dead game? Start combat.

And its not dead because of 15$, its dead because its boring.
    No matter how good you are, no matter what techtree you choose. It always end with: Mass onos, mass exos.
    There is ZERO strategy in this game, CoD deathmatch is more strategic than combat.
    Its only a clusterfest.

I didnt expect that and its a surprise for me that combat die that fast.

But i think the game has some real design issues and people realize them very quick.
    For example:
    Worst case szenario for a new player is joining a already running round on alienside.
    You have 4-5 points to spend on your skulk to transform in an almighty killing machine against full teched marines.
    This is frustrating for vets and i cant imagine how frustrating this must be for new players.

In comparison to normal NS2:
    You late join aliens there but can have your upgrades for "free" without doing anything and with luck (3 Harvesters up) you still can transform into an lerk or fade after the given time.
    In combat everything is based on Kills.
    And low lifeforms dont killing much against full teched marines=no progress.

In a free mod these design issues doesnt care so much, cause, its free.
    But they didnt work in an mid priced stand alone game.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2014
    @sebb, do you think COD is better?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    His answer would be subjective, too.
  • neenee Join Date: 2004-10-01 Member: 32021Members
    I think the $15 price tag was a bad choice.

Those that aren't familiar with the series will be thinking "15 only? prolly not much to it". And the fact is, they are correct, there really isn't much to Combat besides Counterstrike sleeping with a Predator while watching the first Alien movie. Those that ARE familiar with the series will agree that, despite the pricetag being low or even acceptably low, there isn't much to the game either, hence the low price tag.

As for bashers and haters, they can only tout what you might think is falsehoods for so long before people figure out what the game really offers (and more so, if next few months Faultline releases more content like bigger maps new mechanics, etc.). I don't speak for everyone, but if I hear a friend say so and so sucks many balls, I'd like to see it for myself, I take their word at face value. Granted I trust what my friends say, though frankly my friends aren't the kind that will make a crusade about how shitty a game is that they'd flood review sites with hate. Those that are doing so right now, are likely doing it because they really do believe it, to them they are telling the truth, and chances are, they believe the best thing for UWE, Faultline and NS2 is that they suffer so they learn from mistakes, not be enabled by people buying something they think is ridiculous. But if the game is good or at least has demand, then it will sell. NSC doesn't occupy much of a niche, so there's little on demand; that leaves it relying on the presumption (not fact), that it's a good game and more importantly a good buy. Would we expect the same if the game was instead the next bland Call of Duty? Or is i because the developer just so happens to be an new indie group and on that ground alone their product, however shoddy, ought to be supported? Yes give them a chance, but did they even do a good job out of it? Some don't think so.
    If anything, it's lucky that NSC was made into a commercial product at all, nevermind people BUYING what was basically a glorified supermod. That really ought to be an accomplishment in their own right. Even Activision isn't too big to fail.

I would also like to address the "it's only 15 bucks man only a days wage" argument: that's actually an ad hominem, since you're implying those unwilling to shell 15 are cheapskates and thus aren't worthy of the criticisms they give on that ground. Sorry, but I'm not going to shell any amount of money just to find out how little Combat offers. And if it's not much to you, you are free to buy me a copy so I can find out for myself whether the game is good. Odds are I'll like it more too.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I'm sure I could get my money's worth out of Combat if I could actually get a game going. There are currently a grand total of 7 people playing worldwide. The nearest server had 3 players and was 300 ping. I haven't seen populated servers in the AUS region since launch day.

At this rate I will have spent $15 to play the game only one time.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    I'm sure I could get my money's worth out of Combat if I could actually get a game going. There are currently a grand total of 7 people playing worldwide. The nearest server had 3 players and was 300 ping. I haven't seen populated servers in the AUS region since launch day.

At this rate I will have spent $15 to play the game only one time.

I am NA west but I see just one full server no matter the time I look. Its annoying because you have to seed another server. Still a full server.