Somehow my comments need approval for a specific thread

d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2014 in Web Site Feedback
I just noticed that my comments need approval before they show up in this thread. What gives?

forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135799/ns2-is-on-sale-for-5-74-at-the-steam-halloween-sale

Why was this done?

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2014
    Please don't assume moderators/administrators do something to you, when you can't post for some reason or another. unless there is a distinct reason presented to you, it's probably a bug.
    Your profile doesn't seem to give any hints towards being locked, banned, or otherwise unable to post anywhere.
    @comprox Can you think of anything?

Next time something like this happens, try logging out, and logging back in.
    Maybe also clearing cookies and your browser cache may help, but i doubt it.

• d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Please don't assume moderators/administrators do something to you, when you can't post for some reason or another. unless there is a distinct reason presented to you, it's probably a bug.
    Your profile doesn't seem to give any hints towards being locked, banned, or otherwise unable to post anywhere.
    @comprox Can you think of anything?

Next time something like this happens, try logging out, and logging back in.
    Maybe also clearing cookies and your browser cache may help, but i doubt it.

So is there an actual approval process or did my post just vanish into the ether? Anyway, it seems to be working now again. I have logged in and out since I tried posting last time so it might be what fixed it.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2014
    There isn't an approval process.
    ...do you think we're payed to do this? (i wish)

• d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    There isn't an approval process.
    ...do you think we're payed to do this? (i wish)

Well, it's awfully weird to get an "error" message telling me that my comment needs approval before it shows up. It seemed legit with a message in it's own little black box with a close button and everything.

And no I don't think you're getting paid to do this. I don't really know where you got that impression from.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    @AurOn2 is the best Moderator of the UWE forums and he will never do something like that (probably because he doesn't know how to do so). Never trust the Australians anyway except @Sebb and @Mouse, those guys are awesome.

And yeah, this comment doesn't make any sense but I needed to post something before the thread being locked. :(

No but seriously, my message is a test to find out the way AurOn is gonna reply.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    #1 - Using the reported post feature to "get more attention" is not the way to do this. I already get notifications when anyone posts in this forum.
    #2 - We changed nothing actually. We have multiple anti-spam bots on the forum and it seems you have tripped one of them. They are not perfect, but they are absolutely needed (they stop literally 1000s of spam posts per day right now). It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we have.

I have flagged your account as 'not a spam bot' so this should go away now. Sorry for the trouble.
    Comprox wrote: »
    #1 - Using the reported post feature to "get more attention" is not the way to do this. I already get notifications when anyone posts in this forum.
    #2 - We changed nothing actually. We have multiple anti-spam bots on the forum and it seems you have tripped one of them. They are not perfect, but they are absolutely needed (they stop literally 1000s of spam posts per day right now). It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we have.

I have flagged your account as 'not a spam bot' so this should go away now. Sorry for the trouble.

Thank you for fixing whatever it was that caused this. Sorry about using the report function to bring attention to this. I didn't know that anyone gets notifications for a specific subforum and seeing as it seems this forum gets very little traffic I was afraid it might just go unnoticed.

I very much understand the need for anti-spam bots. What I don't understand why they can "ban" a user from a single thread and why the "error" message is incorrect.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    (probably because he doesn't know how to do so)
    This pretty much sums me up in a nutshell.
    I can't be cruel, because theres' no seriously evil ways that i know of to do it.
    banning is SO LAST YEAR, on the cruelty scale.