De-power the individual

12346»

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Rookie mod? We have a competitive one..
  • Hunter20novHunter20nov GER Join Date: 2014-09-15 Member: 198525Members
    Hello, (sry for bad english)

iam new in this game. Gameplay~11 Hours

Found this game with the Youtuber Sarazar (https://www.youtube.com/user/SarazarLP/videos )

Really love the Game. The game is difficult but after 2-3 Hours you know what to do. Play 80% only Aliens. Marine for me is to simply or "cheating gameplay" :P.

All wants only Marine because it simply.... But thats for me the Problem. Aliens are weak but the Gameplay is strong. But alle Games the Balance of Player is 11 vs 9 or worser. The aliens have no chance. They have late Ressource late Research and when the Gamebalance 11 vs 9 they have no chance to win.

My Suggestion is not Depower but make the Balance fair or the alien must always have a player more like the Marines.
    With one Player more the Balance is better for the Game.

Greetings.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2014
    Not even remotely constructive --Comprox
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hunter20nov‌, Welcome to the forums and the game. For new players, I think aliens seem very under powered because it plays so differently to any game on the market presently (may be except avp2 (though the alien in that is pretty powerful). There are a number of guides in youtube (google "It's Supereffective NS2"). You can also check out my manual (in the signature). It is written in English (sorry). It has marine play mainly, but it does describe the alien upgrade structures and some basics of the alien game.

As I said, welcome to the game, and I hope you stick with it as it has a very high learning curve, but so much depth once you learn the game (I am 700 hours in now). Where as AAA games like Borderlands 2 for me lasted about 50 hrs.

lol

äh... yes you want to say something ? lol ? Sry don´t no what this mean, my english is not very good. lol= Lack of Love. You need help :( ?

@Hunter20nov‌, Welcome to the forums and the game. For new players, I think aliens seem very under powered because it plays so differently to any game on the market presently (may be except avp2 (though the alien in that is pretty powerful). There are a number of guides in youtube (google "It's Supereffective NS2"). You can also check out my manual (in the signature). It is written in English (sorry). It has marine play mainly, but it does describe the alien upgrade structures and some basics of the alien game.

As I said, welcome to the game, and I hope you stick with it as it has a very high learning curve, but so much depth once you learn the game (I am 700 hours in now). Where as AAA games like Borderlands 2 for me lasted about 50 hrs.

thx for the Answer :) . With my Post 2-3 Hours you know what to do means i know the Basics but need more experience more guide :) thx for you guide. after work i try to read it. reading english is ok for me but but writing english is hard.

And yes i know for me as Rookie the aliens seem underpowerd but i know the alien gameplay is strong but the balance is worse. Every battle the marines have 1-3 more Player than the aliens :( And the server not autobalance the sites. Yes i know the marine must wait until other marine dies to rejoin but he have more ressource points. The 8 Player Alien die and rejoin but lost points. the 11 Marine die but a other marine with more points wait for the rejoin...hope you know what i mean.... seen in relation the aliens have lost more ressource points.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I am pretty sure with 2-3 hours (or maybe even 50) you are not in the position to make any claims about bad balance, sorry. I also think that you just experienced uneven games where in one team people ragequitted or you played on servers with 20+ players. I can tell you from experience that this game is very balanced in an even matchup, although that only really is true for 6v6 games since that is what the game is balanced for.
    edited September 2014
    Anzestral wrote: »
    I am pretty sure with 2-3 hours (or maybe even 50) you are not in the position to make any claims about bad balance, sorry. I also think that you just experienced uneven games where in one team people ragequitted or you played on servers with 20+ players. I can tell you from experience that this game is very balanced in an even matchup, although that only really is true for 6v6 games since that is what the game is balanced for.

I make no claim or want to change the balance for marines or aliens. Only what i say is the most server i play the autobalance not work.

Iam not writing hey make aliens stronger or marines weak. And yes i need more Experience but my Experience for the games was bad because autobalance of player not work. And when Marines have more Player (1-3) you have no chance to win because the alien gameplay is strong but in the lategame but without players... you know what i mean ? i not write make aliens more HP or whatever.

Thats my first impression but iam only a rookie and want to tell from the perspective of an rookie.

but whatever it is a great game. But i hope the server make more Autobalance.

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    In ns1 aliens had no commander and they always played with one more field player. Aliens used the comm in ns2 for fighting as well for a time. But since they get personal res penalties and new players jump in as soon as they leave the hive, alien commanders tend to stay in the hive, even if they have nothing else to do.

I see it also very often that 2-3 players leave the aliens midgame before fades appear because they think the game is over. They take their pres with them and as a result the aliens have a difficult time to pressure the marines mid or late game, because they lack a few Fades or Oni. That is difficult to compensate. Marines don't suffer that much. A latejoiner with a lvl3 lmg can better support his team than a low pres skulk.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm all for a Public/Casual mode which strives to maximize for "fun" rather than "perfect balance".

Public games can never balanced, simply because players often leave for a hundred different reasons, or AFK. Especially new players, who may feel the Kharaa gameplay very ... alien and struggle to learn the basics, but are forced to play on that team.

That is why NS2 is in dire need of a more forgiving "public" mod, which has the attitude of: "Your team is one man down? No problem! You still have a decent chance at winning. Even if you lose, it won't be a hopeless struggle."
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @[AwE]Sentinel has a good point.

How about if a player leaves his res goes to the other players, or gets saved for a new player or something like that?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014

How about if a player leaves his res goes to the other players, or gets saved for a new player or something like that?
    Well, you can't give the pres to the other players when one leaves, because then you'd just get instant onos abuse, or at the very least early lerks. Giving it to a late joiner, might work, just make sure the code won't give it to some flash fade who decides to rejoin - but what amount of pres will the guy have if he rejoins later?

Also, make sure this kind of thing, if implemented, is disabled in compmod.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It could work pretty well in pubs especially actually. A flash fade is a non-consideration... if that lifeform has flashed, the pres have gone. When a player disconnects, save the pres to give to a new connecting player (-20 that they get anyway). A player connecting at the end of the game might get a treat with some free p.res (that the team earned and didn't use before-hand), or they might not (if someone flashed and rage-quitted), but it seems pretty fair to me and would help in pubs I think. How you handle players switching teams would need to be considered, though. Provided the res stays with the team until it's spent, and the same then applies to a player switching teams, that could work. Oh, and how do you handle when 2 or 3 players leave? Divide the pot of res by the number of slots currently empty on the team, I guess... You would want to stop it being abused by people leaving and rejoining a team to share out pres after losing lifeforms, though...
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    The problem is movement exploitation and the ability to increase skill significantly by tweaking settings/mods, giving you an advantage.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lol nice disagree @Santaclaws. Why on earth...?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Well, you can't give the pres to the other players when one leaves, because then you'd just get instant onos abuse, or at the very least early lerks.

No offense, but you may not be understanding what is being proposed.
    You could not end up with "Instant Onos abuse or early lerks"

If player A leaves the server 8 minutes in the round and had 40 pres, and player B joins the server and receives that abandoned 40 pres... then there is no abuse, the new player is just picking up where the other left off.
    Tactical Gamer servers do this already and it is amazing.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Well, you can't give the pres to the other players when one leaves, because then you'd just get instant onos abuse, or at the very least early lerks.

I don't think you understand what is being proposed.

If player A leaves the server 8 minutes in the round and had 40 pres, and player B joins the server and receives that abandoned 40 pres... then there is no abuse, the new player is just picking up where the other left off.

I agree with you but a little "dampening" would be nice. As in, give only 75% percent of abandoned pres.
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    coolitic wrote: »

I agree with you but a little "dampening" would be nice. As in, give only 75% percent of abandoned pres.

Well, 75% of the abandoned res but at least 20 res?

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014

Idk about you, but I interpreted that comment as two separate suggestions. Initially he said the pres goes to the other players, implying the ones that are already on the server.
    How about if a player leaves his res goes to the other players

However, there are still problems wth the other suggestion (the one you're implying). Let's say player A leaves (or crashes) game with X amount of pres. Player B now joins the match and has X pres - correct? Now Player A rejoins the match. Is Player A's pres just lost?
    edited September 2014
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Idk about you, but I interpreted that comment as two separate suggestions. Initially he said the pres goes to the other players, implying the ones that are already on the server.
    How about if a player leaves his res goes to the other players

However, there are still problems wth the other suggestion (the one you're implying). Let's say player A leaves (or crashes) game with X amount of pres. Player B now joins the match and has X pres - correct? Now Player A rejoins the match. Is Player A's pres just lost?

I guess there would be a time limit (X minutes) for the leaver player A to rejoin. If they don't, then the res is transfered to the first player who joins (not excluding player A if s/he happens to be the first to join the server in X+Y minutes after they left).