Can't Test NS2 when offline steam. Workaround available?

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
Hey, when trying to test ns2 in offline mode, it gives me an error relating to not being able to connect to the steam servers. This means I can't do any testing approximately 30% of the time I want to do testing/development.

Are there any workarounds? In general not sure why this happened in the first place, but I won't get into that and any replies that attempt to start a discussion regarding the cause of this issue will be ignored. I'm really only interested in knowing if there are any ways I can get ns2 working in lan mode without requiring an internet connection. I currently have an internet connection, but it's behind a proxy so I cannot access the steam servers, preventing me from testing my mod, slowing development.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    No. AFAIK there are no plans to remove Steam authentication as then people could pirate the game and stuff.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Well that stinks, is unfair, not friendly and generally annoying.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    It's also not uncommon at all these days. I've run into this same thing myself before. It is what it is unfortunately.
    I expected more, I am disappointed.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Ask yourself this... Why are your expectations so high? Is it UWE's fault that your expectations are so high? :p

Seriously though, it is what it is. Other non-valve games in my library have exactly the same issue. If steam goes offline, I can't play those games. During steam sales, steam goes offline more often, it's just one of those things. Not a lot UWE can do about it except take the game off steam....
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I'm assuming Ironsoul is wanting to do NS2 development and test-play in single player mode while not connected to the internet. Many steam games provide this ability by allowing the user to change steam to offline mode (and so not be connected), for "single player" activities. So, this functionality is possible -- so the only thing necessary is to convince those in charge to agree it is worth the effort to implement.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Ns2 doesn't have a 'singleplayer' mode. It has multi-player with only 1 person on the server. You cannot connect to NS2 servers when the Steam Master Servers are uncontactable. I am not sure this would be able to be removed, as NS2 is set-up as a multi-player game on steam. It is likely to be a large issue.

I fully understand the development issue, I have had it more than enough time during my NS2 mod development career, but I really don't believe anything can be done, because there is no single-player game.
    My motivation for building this mod has dropped to zero, it was 100 before I discovered this limitation. I basically have no time to work on the mod when I'm on my own internet with steam access. So unless this issue is fixed, I cannot work on the mod, it's that simple.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sorry, we wont be removing steam authentication.
    Okay, fair enough. You should be aware that had I known this had steam always online DRM, I would not have purchased the game, even though it's primarily an online multi player game.

And if subnautica gets a good response, I will be carefully checking the DRM setup on that too.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Okay, fair enough. You should be aware that had I known this had steam always online DRM, I would not have purchased the game, even though it's primarily an online multi player game.

And if subnautica gets a good response, I will be carefully checking the DRM setup on that too.

Oh ffs, Steam has to be one of the most benign DRM systems in existence. If THAT bothers you, then maybe you should just give up pc gaming all-together. I can't tell you how many times I've had to re-enter my Unreal Tournament 3 CD-key, or waited for hours for that damned U-Play bullshit to download so that I could play Far Cry 3.