Way to go CDT team

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
This forum needs a purely positive thread from time to time. One filled with positive comments that makes sure those who work hard feel their passion is not taken for granted. This is one of those threads.

I don't know if everyone has been watching the trello board lately but since the CDT team took over I have been. The last build was a good one. The next one is vastly better. If you don't believe me check out the trello board here.

On there you will find a vast list of confirmed fixes for some of the biggest problems facing ns2 since ever. Not everything will be fixed, but they need something for b268 too. The CDT is slower, but honestly things seem to be moving pretty quick for a volunteer team. Performance is being tackled really hard with mulithreaded and hitching. More is coming that way too. We have a superior skill system coming into play and many improvements being built on top of it. Bugs fixes are flying out the door like there is an exterminator in the house. Polish is reaching reflective levels. It is all just too exciting.

I ask, rhetorically, how many builds will it take for the CDT team to run out of work? I honestly am not sure they will make it past b270 at this rate and that is not a bad thing.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    This forum needs a purely positive thread from time to time. One filled with positive comments that makes sure those who work hard feel their passion is not taken for granted. This is one of those threads.

I don't know if everyone has been watching the trello board lately but since the CDT team took over I have been. The last build was a good one. The next one is vastly better. If you don't believe me check out the trello board here.

On there you will find a vast list of confirmed fixes for some of the biggest problems facing ns2 since ever. Not everything will be fixed, but they need something for b268 too. The CDT is slower, but honestly things seem to be moving pretty quick for a volunteer team. Performance is being tackled really hard with mulithreaded and hitching. More is coming that way too. We have a superior matchmaking system coming into play and many improvements being built on top of it. Bugs fixes are flying out the door like there is an exterminator in the house. Polish is reaching reflective levels. It is all just too exciting.

I ask, rhetorically, how many builds will it take for the CDT team to run out of work? I honestly am not sure they will make it past b270 at this rate and that is not a bad thing.

I've been checking on that trello every other day. Getting pretty excited for 267!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm actively reading every thing on trello. The CDT chat every day is full of new ideas and new solutions for common bugs team is working out them so fast it's hard to keep up even with reading it all. I have never been so happy that my favorite game have so much attention. CDT is really doing a great work and I'm happy to help them out in testing.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I couldn't agree more, @james888 - about both points: the forum could use more positivity, and the CDT are doing a phenomenal job.

I'm particularly looking forward to the server/client rate flexibility changes and to see the effects of multithreading physics and efforts to tackle hitching, but really all the changes I've read about (which isn't the full exhaustive list) are much needed and very welcome.

Keep going guys, you're doing a great job and we're all looking forward to playing b267 when it's ready :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    And all of the features me or remi have been working on have been added to NS2+ :D
  • zipy124zipy124 England Join Date: 2014-06-27 Member: 197004Members, NS2 Playtester
    well the ultimate goal for a mod is to get implemented into the full game isn't it :P
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    IF they manage to activate the screen space reflections (located in the dx9 shader folder) to combine/overlay with cube map reflections I would be "forever in gratitude."

But seriously, them fixing the hitching is the thingthat will get me to start playing NS2 regularly again. 100%

BTW, the next patch is looking to be amazing. So much in there which the community requested for so long. I am quite taken aback by how awesome it.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    IF they manage to activate the screen space reflections (located in the dx9 shader folder) to combine/overlay with cube map reflections I would be "forever in gratitude."
    screen space reflections

Say what??? This is the first I've heard of this! Is this something that was removed from ns2 before I was around?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the praise for the CDT guys! We've been working very hard (as seen on our public Trello here: https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker )

267 is under heavy testing and final bug squashing, so it wont be too long. Just need to make sure no Dino-sized bugs got in.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    I should make a positive thread a month just to be an agree/awesome wh0re... Still though, its all true. I hope everyone in the CDT team sees this.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    james888 wrote: »

On there you will find a vast list of confirmed fixes for some of the biggest problems facing ns2 since ever. Not everything will be fixed, but they need something for b268 too. The CDT is slower, but honestly things seem to be moving pretty quick for a volunteer team. Performance is being tackled really hard with mulithreaded and hitching. More is coming that way too. We have a superior matchmaking system coming into play and many improvements being built on top of it. Bugs fixes are flying out the door like there is an exterminator in the house. Polish is reaching reflective levels. It is all just too exciting.

what the cdt is doing is great, 267 is gonna be really awesome. but just tone it down a little bit, eh? you don't want to get your hopes up too much. there are things in this build which will improve performance for some people in some ways, but this isn't going to make the performance issue go away. ns2 will still have serious performance problems compared to other contemporary shooters.

also, i don't know what you mean by a matchmaking system. you mean the new skill system? hopefully this will result in better force random results, and there's a new quick join option, but none of this adds up to matchmaking.

and no, they'll never run out of work. this build will have regressions, new bugs will be found, and there's a backlog of hundreds more issues already i'm sure. they're already discussing some huge initiatives to improve the game which would be a ridiculously massive amount of work, and they have to balance their time between fixes and features.

this build is gonna be crazy awesome for a bunch of reasons, and it's an early step down a road which should lead to a more ideal ns2 experience.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skill system not matchmaking... I am corrected.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't help but read "CDT" as "Crash to Desktop." I'm sorry! The letters don't even match!

But honestly, I don't care about the cries of dwindling playercount; this investment by players and for players is what keeps a community together.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there a form for submitting requests/suggestions?
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    edited July 2014
    Zek wrote: »
    Is there a form for submitting requests/suggestions?

no but there's a forum for it. and most of the cdt members are trolling the forums every day. and you can always just mention @Decoy.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Decoy hey @Decoy please remove the structure damage from parasite so it doesn't cause superfluous alerts on the minimap

@Decoy
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @Decoy hey @Decoy please remove the structure damage from parasite so it doesn't cause superfluous alerts on the minimap

@Decoy

If alerts is what bugging you, why don't remove alerts on parasite and not nerf parasite? How are you going to blow up mines safely as a skulk if parasite won't damage structures?
    xen32 wrote: »

@Decoy

If alerts is what bugging you, why don't remove alerts on parasite and not nerf parasite? How are you going to blow up mines safely as a skulk if parasite won't damage structures?

I don't consider that to be much of a nerf, but sure, that works too.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    screen space reflections

Say what??? This is the first I've heard of this! Is this something that was removed from ns2 before I was around?

I can assume, that when Max was implementing with the reflections to be put in the game before the gorgeous update he experimented with multiple techniques and ultimately ended up setling for just environment probes/cube maps due to their temporal stability and cheap performance.

But none the less, the shader for the screen space reflections is still in the game files and was obviously working at some point with in unreleased version of the game.

If that could be combined with the environment probes (which is how most games due relfections these days anyway), that would be awesome.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The screen space reflection shader as it currently exists in NS2 is an early test implementation, and it ain't a pretty sight. There would be more work required than simply turning it on.
    Insane wrote: »
    The screen space reflection shader as it currently exists in NS2 is an early test implementation, and it ain't a pretty sight. There would be more work required than simply turning it on.

Oh! Well thanks for the reply Insane.

Obviously a man can dream. :P
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Saltlick wrote: »
    I can't help but read "CDT" as "Crash to Desktop." I'm sorry! The letters don't even match!

Craft, Design and Technology. Takes me back to school, but not in a good way.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's bugging me is the non-quadratic form of the CDT-Badge as opposed to every other badge.
    Joke aside, good work CDT team!
    edited July 2014
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    What's bugging me is the non-quadratic form of the CDT-Badge as opposed to every other badge.
    Joke aside, good work CDT team!

YES! We DEMAND more badges in the form of ax^2 + bxy + cy^2