Bandaid Mod- IT'S THE NATURAL SOLUTION TOO!

HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
637x358.resizedimage
The new mod for the makers of Skulks with Shotguns....

The first build of our alternative NS2 'fix' Mod has been release on the workshop.

The Pillars of the mods design are to:
1) Remove common annoyances from the game
2) Make matches more interesting and varied by revising redundant or underused upgrades
3) Improve any underdeveloped or weak features
4) Improve readability and Streamline awkward elements

This is not a competitive balance mod but rather our alternative take on how NS2 should be. Our target Audience is the none-competitive players (like ourselves) who play on public, 12 to 20 player servers. Balance has been careful considered but our opinions are based off 1000's of hours of play on pub or open team games. We've taken ideas from many different sources (including these forums) to find and fix the main frustrations people complain about.

The first build mainly consists of small/easy changes and tweaks:
*Revised LMG shooting sounds and effects - Increased the amount of visual and audio contrast between weapons levels
*Marine bunny hopping reduces momentum
*Reduced reliance on skulk wall jumping - Base speed increased, max speed remains the same
*Skulk health reduced- takes one less bullet
*Med-pack Heal time and amount increased, with cool down period- Reduces effectiveness of med pack spam
*Classic exo's restored (cannot be cat-packed)
*Web starting item for gorge- Cost no res but use a large amount of stamina and limited to three

It's still very much WIP but our first test was very positive. We would love to hear your feedback once you've played the mod.
We've got a lot of things we want to experiment with so watch this space!

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    On Sunday, I heard somebody throw out an idea to "limit the number of gorge webs to the biomass level". I think that'd be great!

I'm not a fan of the new lmg sound, however. There are 50 bullets in that gun, but the new sound doesn't sound like 50 shots fired.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    1. YOU STOLE MY NAME

2. That gorge is still giving me the finger paw foot ...whatever it is, it's giving it to me.

3. You know my opinion about the mod. (Short summary: Exo yay!, skulk woosh, LMG lol, pgs wat.)

Thank you.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Hi! I'm coder for this mod. This thread is intended for bugs and requests for mod players, we'd like to avoid balance debates. I'll make an exception for this one though. ;)
    Switcharoo, feel free to debate. If you have in game feedback go to http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135029/bandaid-mod-experiences-bugs-and-feature-requests
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So why did you reduce the encouraging mechanics to walljump?

The skill level required to effectively walljump is beyond the the group that still roams floors. It doesn't solve floor skulking, it just creates another skill gap!

So what does that leave us? Skulks that handle like a brick while traversing walls and ceilings, and are generally unpleasant to maneuver. That's one great motivator to stay off the floors! High speed is easily achievable for veteran players, but we want movement to be /at least/ pleasant and intuitive for everyone else.

On our server some players never mastered the skill. To be honest, the game lacks proper feedback and training. I might not be one of the brightest, but it I only figured out how the sounds fit into the walljumping after hundreds of hours NS2. @Flaterectomy can attest to that. ;)

So we bumped up base speed slightly, while retaining walljumping. So far it's been praised as one of the favorite changes. The gun sounds however.. ;)

We believe NS2 has sacrificed a bit too much fun in the drive towards balanced competitive gameplay, and has been put into hiatus in the middle of some balance changes. I'm certain it'll be a while before the community dev team will touch balance in any significant fashion. We need some way to keep the game fresh and fun for our own selfish reasons, to keep the SCC maptests going.

This mod is our hail mary in a way, with a pragmatic mission: Deal with the biggest frustrations in the cheapest way possible, keep the weekly tests fun, avoid invasive changes, but don't get bogged into passivity by balance discussions. With the alien tech tree and some of the alien classes damaged as they are there is no direction but up.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also stop bumping old threads @Howser. D: *shake fist*
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of the things I loved about NS1 was the LMG sound wasn't obnoxious, but the HMG sound was, you couldn't hear anything when firing, but the pew pew of the LMG allowed you to hear skulks moving about.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @pelargir high skill level players turn ns2 into a very different game to how us clumsy mappers play it (probably the same as 75% of ns2 players), we've changed it based on our experience. I really agree with the a lot of changes comp mod makes in the context of high skill 6v6... but it really does very little (for the most part) to improve the game for us. Ultimately the CDT should be catering to all levels of player as best as possible, using all the different balance mods should provide them with a point of reference if nothing else.

As for the LMG effects they're still WIP we'll get there...
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    pom pom gun!! I miss the HMG, it felt bad ass when you get it as a puny marine handling it.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Howser wrote: »
    @pelargir high skill level players turn ns2 into a very different game to how us clumsy mappers play it (probably the same as 75% of ns2 players), we've changed it based on our experience. I really agree with the a lot of changes comp mod makes in the context of high skill 6v6... but it really does very little (for the most part) to improve the game for us. Ultimately the CDT should be catering to all levels of player as best as possible, using all the different balance mods should provide them with a point of reference if nothing else.

I actually think most of the changes in comp mod would increase fun for all players of NS2. Such as reduced lifeform cost if you lose your lifeform and viable fade abilites. Probably much more, but I'm too lazy to look through it at the moment.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    No offence, but all the gameplay changes so far seem to be going against everything you set out to achieve. Kudos to you for trying and good for the bunch of you enjoying it, but I don't think this tiny playerbase really needs a "dumbed down NS2" mod.
    In the case of the SCC, modding is beneficial. Fun games have always driven our maptests, but lately gameplay have grown so stale. Last sunday was the first time in a while the majority of players enjoyed themselves. On a sale weekend no less! Even with some of the regulars having a bad day (@Flaterectomy, is your map fixed yet? What about now.)

We see a lot of parallels between our todo list and @rantology‌ 's excellent compmod writeup, like alien tech tree and the fades.

While our goals may overlap, there's always going to be a disparity between what works for 6v6 competitive games versus larger teams of casual players. Vanilla's is already significantly competitively focused out of the box.

That said, I see no reason for us to double up any efforts on fixing the big picture, so we'll probably stick with the quick wins and immediate annoyances of non competitive players. (Besides @Howser‌'s obsession with the trifacegate).

For now we'll be running this mod every sunday playtest as long as it meets its goal of making the game more fun. Who knows, we'll probably mix it up with compmod and vanilla. Other server admins picking it up would be great, but we're happy just tailoring to our immediate audience..

Don't worry, @Flaterectomy is slapping wet towels against the wall for new gun sounds as we speak!
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    No offence, but all the gameplay changes so far seem to be going against everything you set out to achieve. Kudos to you for trying and good for the bunch of you enjoying it, but I don't think this tiny playerbase really needs a "dumbed down NS2" mod.
    If they're enjoying it, who cares? And the post allows others who feel the same to be aware and find a server with the mod.

As for the playerbase needing it -- mods help the community to grow and stay active. If the game wasn't moddable, and the people who enjoy this style of play couldn't enjoy it, they may not be playing at all. Our community would be smaller.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    *Reduced reliance on skulk wall jumping - Base speed increased, max speed remains the same

My concern with this kind of change is, that is barely going to help rookies, but it's going to make a huge impact for comp players. So imo this is going against what you're trying to achieve as @halfofaheaven‌ put it.
    I don't think this tiny playerbase really needs a "dumbed down NS2" mod.

It's understandable you want to let your opinions known, but none of the authors are going to dive into any balance or phylosophical debates here. Opinions differ.

This thread exists for actual gameplay feedback on the mod, like stated in OP. Play the mod first before posting on this thread and keep it related to in game bugs and issues, or start a different thread, and we'll be happy to respond.

(One of the forum admins moved this thread to the general forum from modding, so that might be what's confusing he issue unintentionally)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Try it before you judge, chaps!

Remember how skulks felt before the brick-skulk patch? And how even when they fixed the brick-skulks, skulks never quite felt as agile and fluid as they were before?

Yeah, skulks feel reeeal nice with this mod. Like, release build good.

I dont think it'll have an effect on rookies and walljumping at all, and it is certainly a large buff for higher levels of play, which I'd imagine the HP reduction is meant to combat. So point conceded on this, but dudes - try it, you might just love it :)
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    On Sunday, I heard somebody throw out an idea to "limit the number of gorge webs to the biomass level". I think that'd be great!

I'm not a fan of the new lmg sound, however. There are 50 bullets in that gun, but the new sound doesn't sound like 50 shots fired.
    That was meeee :D Though I do think it is a little (- highly) OP for gorges to start with hydras, tunnels and webs.

How about - Webs cost 3 res, like hydras. You can place a maximum of 3 per hive (or 1 per biomass?).

That'd stop early game gorges turning into map-control-controllers with buffed hydras, a tunnel and 3 webs in one location. Can you imagine if two of them got together at a natural tech point? It's bad enough as it is, being forced to research grenades :P

That freaking game on sunday though. THRONE ROOM OH MY GOD THRONE ROOM. Much fun was had :) I blame the abundance of lovely YO regs ;)
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Wait, so this is a mod about balance, but you won't talk about balance in this thread.

How does that make sense?
  • WlfWlf paris Join Date: 2014-04-14 Member: 195395Members
    Wait, WHAT ... <Facepalm>
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    I do like the name "Casual NS2" better.

The minimum marine movement speed after chain jumping feels rather too punishing.

Skulks could benefit from a "(floor) hopping" speed boost mechanism rather than a flat speed increase. This would encourage new aliens to start jumping and naturally transition to wall jumping learning later (they may even discover it on their own!). The Skulk HP change could be undone.

Slightly reduced gravity (and jump acceleration) might be worth a try (I suggest around -18 gravity). It would make players feel more "floaty" and the jump animations look less abrupt (easier to track) and unnatural. (Look in Mixins\JumpMoveMixin.lua and Player.lua)
    edited June 2014
    You are right, this thread can't be salvaged as a feedback thread. Feel free to discuss whatever, we'll make a separate thread for bugs and in game issues.
    Edit: Feedback thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135029/bandaid-mod-experiences-bugs-and-feature-requests

Quick roundup on answers:
    * Mod cost us about two evenings to make, so very little effort there. We typically invest a lot of time on weekly playtests so it's not a big deal.
    * It does not tailor to competitive vs competive games, but it does retain most of the aspects that give a skilled player advantage. It just does it in a way that the rest of the players aren't victimized.
    * Higher base speed in our tests /does/ make the game more accessible for new players.
    * This mod is a quick bandaid to things we perceive broken. I'd say a mod that fixes gameplay for the majority of players is more deserving of the title than a mod that would tailor to the select few. Plus it's hardly like we falsely advertise it in the description.
    I do like the name "Casual NS2" better.
    I'll talk it over with the others! Personally not too set on the name.
    The minimum marine movement speed after chain jumping feels rather too punishing.

Is that your experience after playing the mod? :o We'll definitely tweak it more, but we need to play more games with it first.
    Skulks could benefit from a "(floor) hopping" speed boost mechanism rather than a flat speed increase. This would encourage new aliens to start jumping and naturally transition to wall jumping learning later (they may even discover it on their own!).

Could do that, would have to see how we can unify that with higher velocity on walls and ceilings.
    Slightly reduced gravity (and jump acceleration) might be worth a try (I suggest around -18 gravity). It would make players feel more "floaty" and the jump animations look less abrupt (easier to track) and unnatural. (Look in Mixins\JumpMoveMixin.lua and Player.lua)

Sounds like an easy tweak, certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the constructive feedback!
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're making this mod to reduce a number of little annoyances that some of us are experiencing. Note, not all of us experience these annoyances. In our internal document each of us ranks how passionate we are about these ideas, and the high scoring ideas are tackled first (provided they're not too difficult to fix for the moment).

This isn't meant to be some kind of big game fixer for everyone; this will not pollute the serversphere and cause a schism. We simply are trying out some alterations and if they're improving the experience for us, then yay! If any of these ideas turn out really well, perhaps their reception will naturally reverb along the proper channels. More ideas are never a bad thing, and neither are more mods.

And yes, I made the LMG sound in half an hour. It'll be fine-tuned further. :P
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Hi! I'm coder for this mod. This thread is intended for bugs and requests for mod players, we'd like to avoid balance debates. I'll make an exception for this one though. ;)
    I haven't played the mod yet, but I can say that posting this in General Discussion will lead to general discussion. Posting in the modding forum would lead to more modding feedback.
    Calego wrote: »
    I haven't played the mod yet, but I can say that posting this in General Discussion will lead to general discussion. Posting in the modding forum would lead to more modding feedback.

Teehee, It was posted in the modding forum! Admins moved it around outside our control. All fine now though, we've done a switcheroo and made this the debate thread. :P
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ok ok, lets bite,...

*Revised LMG shooting sounds and effects - Increased the amount of visual and audio contrast between weapons levels
    - Personal prefference I guess. Should make it optional like ns2+ does.

*Marine bunny hopping reduces momentum
    - Im not getting in this beehive. We have whole topics on this matter.

- Unneeded. Ive seen enough greens, even recently, to know the only thing they need to walljump is a little bit of advice. The instant they succeed in some wall jumping they usually go like 'ooooh' and will soon happily hop around the map, grateful for things learned. We could argue that without someone explaining it to them this ability is much harder to learn.
    Also do not forget that base speed scales with player skill. I mean that a veteran has the same higher base speed. Upping the ability to ambush and kill of anyone when not in a jump, for any veteran player. Usually in such situations movement is to short to gain max speed, so any increase in starter speed is a buff for both rookies and vets, and I severely doubt vets need any buff.

*Skulk health reduced- takes one less bullet
    - Why? It wil not benefit any rookie learning to move quickly. A vet would not get hit enough in the first place.

*Med-pack Heal time and amount increased, with cool down period- Reduces effectiveness of med pack spam
    - meds costs res. Best counter is biting RTs. Something aliens should do.

*Classic exo's restored (cannot be cat-packed)
    - You mean we can catpack exo's right now in vanilla? /amazed. (I didnt know)

*Web starting item for gorge- Cost no res but use a large amount of stamina and limited to three
    - considering the absolute uselessness of webs... I am inclined to see reason on this one.

But we have YET another gamemod changing 'only' small stuff.
    edited June 2014
    You played the mod, right? Right? D:
    - Personal prefference I guess. Should make it optional like ns2+ does.
    Personal gripe of one of the devs. ;) We'll continue to tweak it. If there's a long life for this mod we'll make it optional.
    (skulk wall jumping) - Unneeded.
    The hyperfocus of this thread is on this feature, but it really isn't that big of an increase. Just enough to make skulks movement feel pleasant. We'll just experiment with it a bit further though.
    (less skulk health)- Why? It wil not benefit any rookie learning to move quickly. A vet would not get hit enough in the first place.
    One less bullet compensates the higher sustainable speed in close combat and promotes an ambush playstyle. Can't say if it's working out without playing more, for now it feels like it fits.

The general assumption seems to be we're trying to put greens and veterans on equal level, which is not what this mod is about. Vets are a fact of life, as are greens that do not turn around when bitten in the back. The playing field consists mainly of people in between those two groups.
    - meds costs res. Best counter is biting RTs. Something aliens should do.
    So all we need to do to fix balance in this game is bite res, since that buys all the broken trinkets. Seems a bit like a cop out ;)

Comm ability to throw a fight for a few moments is fine, but being able to spam it was voted on as a major gripe, especially with comms that have perfect aim. There are some changes planned that make the medpacks easier to deploy
    - You mean we can catpack exo's right now in vanilla? /amazed. (I didnt know)
    Jetpack + shotty, why go anything else. XD
    - considering the absolute uselessness of webs... I am inclined to see reason on this one.
    You'd be amazed, having webs early game means you can make a more effective killbox or preplan your escape by webbing up a rear exit. Later in game it's definitely useless. Dropping the biomass level was really cheap to code, so this is an improvement over not having it used at all.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    don't blow any fuses too early...we haven't even changed the onus into a giant skulk yet!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Personally I dont see how anyone who knows how to counter "med spam" would think it is an issue. Isnt the cooldown for picking up a med like, half a second already?

Do you know how to deal with a marine that's getting medded lots?

Bite him twice. In a row. The comm cannot outmed your DPS unless you're missing bites. Once the marine's armour is gone, he will last 2 consecutive bites tops.