What was your first PC?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
My first was purchased for me when I was around 14 years old, at the time my father and I were suckered into buying a PC from the company called "Tiny" later changed to "Time" before they went bankrupt.

I think he paid over £1000 for an Intel Pentium 3 rated @ 800mhz, 19" great big CRT monitor, printer, scanner with windows 98SE installed.

Needless to say that's all probably worth £50 now not even that, amazing how bad technology depreciates huh?

What was yours?

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    The first one I can really remember is a Compudyne laptop with a green power button that I thought looked like the submarine from battleship. This made it super cool. I mostly used it to play castle.exe where you avoided ascii monsters like * spiders and to play beast, though beast might have been a newer machine:
    Beast_001.png

I know there were several before that but my memories of them are fuzzy until they get that sweet green power button with the six knobbly bits on it.

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    apple_mac_classic.jpg

Well, not really the 1st, but the 1st i really did play alot on.
    Awesome game:

184290-the-ancient-art-of-war-macintosh-screenshot-title-screen-s.gif
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2014
    Some old dell desktop when xp first came out. I believe dell precision line.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    A 80386 with a monochrome display, DOS, dmenu and various games like Castle Adventure and Paratrooper
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    TRS80 Model III
    TRSDOS operating system
    16 K RAM
    I didn't have the floppy disk drive, instead I used a tape recorder and loaded the programs off of cassette tapes. I can remember watching two asterisks * * blink back and forth while the program was loading for 5 to 10 mins and if something would go wrong the blinking would stop and you knew you were out of luck with corrupt data and you had to rewind adjust the volume and try again.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    I was a console kid (NES, SNES, MegaDrive/Genesis and Master System), then I stepped into the world of PC and "never" looked back. Pentium 60Mhz clocked at 66Mhz by moving a jumper AWYEAH!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Mine was a custom-build UBER BEAST at the time (1998)

450Mhz Pentium2 (chip itself was £700 brand new just released)
    Dual-CPU capable Gigabyte motherboard (I had plans to move to Windows NT but never did)
    ATi All-in-Wonder Pro 32MB Graphics (Watch TV and do 2D stuff)
    3DFX Voodoo2 (for 3D Games, faster than the ATi)
    128MB RAM (insane at the time)
    10GB HDD (again, insane at the time)
    CD-RW x1 speed (no buffer w00t for dead CDs)
    DVD-ROM (JUST came out) with Wing Commander DVD and Scream Movie
    Creative DVD MPEG card
    SoundBlaster 64
    Windows 98 (v1)

This thing was awesome. Kept me going right into my college years, lasted a good 3 years before I had to build a new one with an Athlon 1.4Ghz system.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Athlon 1.4Ghz system.

Thunderbird power, remember those days :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't really say what my first pc was, because to me it is relative.

I had a pentium 3 cpu with a nvidea 5200 gpu, which I acquired as a hand me down. I used that for a good 7 years. Then I got another hand me down, which was a 2.3ghz athlon dual core, while owning I started to get the pc building bug. I upgraded the gpu to a 9800gt, this combo lasted me a good 3 years. From there I got what I would consider my first real pc. I built a 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz, and a 6950.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2014
    Hard to remember what specific model, but my dad bought some old second handed 386 with a bunch of 5 inch floppy's when I was about 8 years old. Not sure what he used it for at the time (as it was already quite outdated), but I played whatever games were available on it, like Digger and some F1 racing game. :D
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pentium 2 MMX @ 350mhz, voodoo 2 8mb, 10mb hard-drive. Played Half-Life really smooth at the time. 8->
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    When you say PC, do you mean Personal Computer, or do you mean specifically an IBM-PC?

What I mean is, do you want to know about the Spectrum's, Atari's, BBC's and Commodore's, or do I start with the Pentium II stuff..
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I don't remember much about the computer... it was beige (hey I know that name!) and had a big green power button... right above the "turbo" button! :D Had about 1gb of hdd, and it was so slow, I actually had to wait for Starcraft to load a map. You could tell when the computer player was making a big play because the game would slow down a lot. Those were the days...