13»

Comments

• CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So I guess it was recently introduced ?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Cuel wrote: »
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @Cuel - what is rare? The skulk solo pg grind? You must be joking...

It's rare that a single skulk can block a phase and grind every marine coming thru. It's not rare that a single skulk can kill a pg if marines don't try to rescue it.
    Frequency of an unintended mechanic that gives an overpowered advantage (read: exploit) should not dictate whether it needs fixing or not. One person able to get outside of a map and destroy bases with invincibility is all that's needed to occur before the knowledge spreads and changes that frequency. Exploits should be fixed regardless of perceived frequency.

Also, while a single skulk may not be able to kill *every* marine coming through.. they can most definitely take out the typical amount that would respond to just one measly skulk.
    Killing 3 marines in a row by exploiting that mechanic is not difficult as they get jammed in place / vision blocked by teammates model who is also jammed / disorientation from re-positioning code in effect due to colliding with an alien / delay of skulk model being drawn on screen.

Exploiting this mechanic, you can currently bite a marine twice before a skulk is even rendered on their screen. That alone is enough to require fixing, even if the 2nd marine was somehow always able to kill the skulk - which isn't the case.

It is a bug and it is being worked on currently by the CDT.

Could you describe what the issue was? When I've been killed in the phase its usually with 2 or more aliens on it. Never been trapped by a single skulk.
    amoral wrote: »
    joshhh wrote: »
    Yes. You're not suppose to be able to climb on gates or CC's. Don't know how, but something broke allowing you to do it again.

they need to decrease the radius of clogs if they're going to do that. If i can't climb on that gate, i'd really like to be able to block it off with clogs, like a baller.

Haven't thought of this as a lone gorge strat. Clog up their gate. Not sure how close to a gate you can build clogs, but seems like a really good strat. I will try this next time I am playing. Then you can single skulk grind the gate. Imagine, a gorge finds an undefended gate - clog it up, then go skulk and proceed to grind it alone.

Can't build anywhere that's useful. Irony is you can clog the hell out of IPS but not phases
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    amoral wrote:
    Could you describe what the issue was? When I've been killed in the phase its usually with 2 or more aliens on it. Never been trapped by a single skulk.

If you position yourself so that your skulf face is at one of the "pillars" of the gate, and your ass is diagonally towards the other pillar, then you fully block the gate so that any marine, no matter how they approach the gate, come out and are stuck in your teeth.
  • BlobBlob Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187999Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Don't know if anyone does this. but i always clog up dropped shotguns before bile comes up. delays the marine just enough for the weapon to disappear in pubs.

And clogging powernodes just makes it too much a chore for a lone marine to power it back up.
    Blob wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone does this. but i always clog up dropped shotguns before bile comes up. delays the marine just enough for the weapon to disappear in pubs.

And clogging powernodes just makes it too much a chore for a lone marine to power it back up.

i've heard mixed things about that. the issue being that yeah it takes longer to weld back up, but it also prevents you from hitting it again as easily. gotta disappear your clogs, unless you died, in which case gotta re-evolve gorge and disappear your clogs.

@SantaClaws‌ done that before, never had it done to me i guess. just thought it was a better place to block than in front on the ground. also, gotta come through swinging.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I have done the solo skull blocking in pubs(accidentally).
    They can still shoot you though right? Because I'm pretty sure by the time the 3rd marine came through(including dmg from previous) he was able to kill me.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @KungFuJV - Your point? Surely you're not suggesting that it makes it OK that you "only" get 3 free frags for one skulk.

But to answer your question, yes they can still get some bullets out - doesn't make it any less broken however. Anyway, the issue is being fixed, there's no point discussing it any further tbh.
    @KungFuJV - Your point? Surely you're not suggesting that it makes it OK that you "only" get 3 free frags for one skulk.

But to answer your question, yes they can still get some bullets out - doesn't make it any less broken however. Anyway, the issue is being fixed, there's no point discussing it any further tbh.

while they're at it, could they take another look at autobalance... had a game where the aliens were 2 people short. and 3 of us were dead with no respawn. if i'm not mistaken, it should have just been 2 of us dead right?
    Has anyone tried throwing a grenade as you phase through a gate thats being grinded? or any aliens experience someone doing that.

Would like to know how effective it is in throwing off the skulks and lerks using that method
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Has anyone tried throwing a grenade as you phase through a gate thats being grinded? or any aliens experience someone doing that.

Would like to know how effective it is in throwing off the skulks and lerks using that method

I insta-nade or mine but idk if I've been around aliens using the bug. Probably shouldn't tell people.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

If grinded well, you die before you can shoot a grenade with a grenade launcher. I beleive hand grenades are slower, and so too would be mines. I do have a fond memory of coming threw a phase gate and firing off two grenades from a grenade launcher. Killed a lerk, a fade, a skulk, and I think another lerk. This only worked because they did not body block, and they were already low from killing all marines in pipeline.
    james888 wrote: »

If grinded well, you die before you can shoot a grenade with a grenade launcher. I beleive hand grenades are slower, and so too would be mines. I do have a fond memory of coming threw a phase gate and firing off two grenades from a grenade launcher. Killed a lerk, a fade, a skulk, and I think another lerk. This only worked because they did not body block, and they were already low from killing all marines in pipeline.

My question is specifically directed at the use of hand grenades because...

1) 5pres is pretty reasonable to throw away compare to 15( unless you have 1 mine left)
    2) If you hold mouse1, phase and release mouse1 as you appear on the other side. even if you die the grenade is released the moment mouse1 is released. which i believe is faster than the time they take to kill you (correct me if i am wrong)

Has anyone actually tried using handgrenades as a team or solo to save a grinded pg?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Throwing grenades requires an awkward timing release.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    On the contrary, all the more to discuss!

For instance, whether or not it is getting 'fixed' in a way that still allows aliens to grind a PG via the 'normal' methods.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »

My question is specifically directed at the use of hand grenades because...

1) 5pres is pretty reasonable to throw away compare to 15( unless you have 1 mine left)
    2) If you hold mouse1, phase and release mouse1 as you appear on the other side. even if you die the grenade is released the moment mouse1 is released. which i believe is faster than the time they take to kill you (correct me if i am wrong)

Has anyone actually tried using handgrenades as a team or solo to save a grinded pg?

I have seen players do this with hand grenades and kill the skulks at the phase gate (with pulse grenades in the comp mod, which are OP as all hell). It was a total grinder, but the grenade definitely still counted the other side of the gate. Dunno who the guy disagreeing with you is, that's a bizarre disagree.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members

@SantaClaws‌ wasn't making a point? Was just asking if what I did was what everyone was taking about..and no...nowhere did I suggest that it was okay? Thanks for clarification
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    Kobe wrote: »
    * always avoid big battles such as raiding a hive or defend base from alien rush, always look for lone skulks around the map
    * when base is getting bile rushed and comm drops a beacon, never aim for gorges or high life forms, always go for skulks (this result in onos/fades getting away from a chase down / structures being bile bombed)
    * never waste ammo on RTs, let teammate do the shoot down while waiting for skulks
    * never phase when PG is under attack, wonders off to find lone skulks
    * goes into an undefended hive, has ample time to shoot down a upgrade chamber or 2, but instead wait for skulks to spawn to get that easy kill
    * finds a gorge tunnel but won't shoot it down, waits on the other side for skulks to come out

= people don't want to die in general
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    Throwing grenades requires an awkward timing release.

Prep the grenade before you go through the phase gate.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    On the contrary, all the more to discuss!

For instance, whether or not it is getting 'fixed' in a way that still allows aliens to grind a PG via the 'normal' methods.

You will still be able to grind the gate typically and it will take coordination and teamwork to both grind and contend a grinding.
    The fix only stops the unintended exploitation of a broken collision scenario allowing for one player to have way way more impact than they should have