Players jacking up stats

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    2cough wrote: »
    Blob wrote: »
    Since, we're on the meat grinder topic...I often get stuck on the PG during a meat grind. Am i jumping through the PG wrongly or am i suppose to spam spacebar or is it just my imagination?
    spam space and forward and hope there's some meds waiting for you. If you cant move, the aliens were just on point.

BTW I know most people who might read this already know, but BITE THE BLUE SIDES OF PG (broad side), not the narrow sides, for a grinder this does not make.

jump, crouch and forward. never go through a gate in trouble without some horizontal and vertical momentum. go through the gate in midair. you're SOL if you got a fade blocking though.

skulk, block off the gate at chest height. actually climb it so you're sitting across the gate and biting the inside surface of the gate.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I've seen skulks do that and the rine ends up behind us.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think best practices is two skulks on opposite sides jumping up and down? Ideally three skulks with one on top of another on one side, and a single skulk on the back.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can still completely block the gate solo as a skulk, even in comp mod. Stop talking about 2 and 3 skulks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    And this is why it's currently broken and being worked on in the future. (it's a bug)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    * Do the same, cf: lanes, your RTs, theirs.
    * Stop watching them and shoot the Gorges already! Someone has to.
    * Pull out your axe, axe the res watching them watch you.
    * Remember not to emulate this, unless you think their is a reason "* Do the same, cf: lanes, your RTs, theirs." would be better. Then you are that person too but you might be right.
    * If they kill the skulks, that is okay?
    * Ping the tunnel so the comm sees it and starts yelling.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    "Players jacking up stats" should renamed in "admin jacking up stats" on the server *snip * - no name and shame allowed
    Its a joke that the admin is going there 20-3 in every round.

Really helpfull to slaughter all the rookies on a server with that name.

But the admin has awesome stats, well i think thats the most important thing.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @dePARA‌ , you are ranked number 8 on the NS2stats page. What the Fuck are you doing on rookie friendly servers?

Even I avoid rookie friendly servers, and I'm ranked about 19,000th!!
  • Virtual_AddictVirtual_Addict US Join Date: 2014-04-13 Member: 195367Members
    edited June 2014
    dePARA wrote: »
    "Players jacking up stats" should renamed in "admin jacking up stats" on the server
    Its a joke that the admin is going there 20-3 in every round.

Really helpfull to slaughter all the rookies on a server with that name.

But the admin has awesome stats, well i think thats the most important thing.

Well well well.... Hi, this is Lt. Nikk :)
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but what else am I supposed to do, other than playing the game? Of course I'm going to have some advantage given my low ping and high end hardware. But as far as me trying to boost my stats goes, you couldn't be further off. I've made that server when I had about 45hrs on NS2 and was a major noob myself. I try and help people out, give em advice as much as I can.
    Besides that, there are FAR better players than me on this server day and night.
    I wanted that server to be a relaxed environment for rookies. And to some extent it is, I don't tolerate rookie flaming or hostility, I try to keep people calm. Sure at this point I might be too good to be playing on a rookie server, but its my server after all, someone has to admin it and keep the finger on the pulse so to speak.
    I could care less about my stats, I don't even know what they're at.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    How does ns2stats work? I'm rank 13 in overall...but marine and alien individual I'm 300+ ? Does that mean I do nothing but build/destroy structures?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    KungFuJV wrote: »
    How does ns2stats work? I'm rank 13 in overall...but marine and alien individual I'm 300+ ? Does that mean I do nothing but build/destroy structures?

You could call the ranking also "Who is the biggest ns2 nerd". Basically for all actions you do in ns2 you get exp which count to your rank.

With the ns2stats ranking system we tried to do something like other games do with a lvl system but it was never fully done because ns2stats lost most of its devs etc. ;)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Every vet is playing on rookie friendly servers from time to time and everyone has a different reason todo this.
    Some like to rank up stats, some like to slaughter the rookies, some need simple targets for warmup and some like me playing on them if no alternative is available.

If the EU servers go to sleep i play on US servers.
    And as i dont play on some servers as a matter of principle there mostly only rookie friendly servers left.
    Most of the time i try to counterstack wich can end in 6 losses in a row for me.

And i dont care about my stats, i am the most annoying marine you can have who goes always for res- and upgrade hunt. Wich mean, i die very often but deal as much damage as possible.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And this is why it's currently broken and being worked on in the future. (it's a bug)

Whut.

I don't want to imagine a world where it's not possible to PG grind .__.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Whut.

As a single skulk? No, that is broken dude :p
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    But it's so rare? If th comm drop meds on the pg there is no issue, if you just jump thru and spray you're bound to get a kill on lower life forms. 2 or even 3 skulks should be able to grind a gate down, they're too easily defended, as it is.
    @Cuel - what is rare? The skulk solo pg grind? You must be joking...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm not sure what you mean by skulk solo PG grind. I've never come across a situation where a single skulk can stop an entire team phasing through. Maybe one marine at a time, and they dont put any bullets in the skulk in the time it takes for it to bite them 3 times, but does that constitute a 'grind'?
    2 skulks is a different story of course
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited June 2014
    Kobe wrote: »
    When I played basketball in high school, I remember my coach saying this to me:
    Players need to be coached to play defense, because everyone wants to be the guy who puts the ball in the basket.

10 years later, this is still true. Again and again in online multiplayer games, I see players jacking up stats. It's always the same "I don't care if we win or not, as long as I get my 40/5" mentality. The problem is not so much the fact that they are jacking up stats, the problem is what some people would do in order to get that 40/5.

So what I've done in the past week is speccing a couple of players in my community and this is basically how they do it:

* always avoid big battles such as raiding a hive or defend base from alien rush, always look for lone skulks around the map
    * when base is getting bile rushed and comm drops a beacon, never aim for gorges or high life forms, always go for skulks (this result in onos/fades getting away from a chase down / structures being bile bombed)
    * never waste ammo on RTs, let teammate do the shoot down while waiting for skulks
    * never phase when PG is under attack, wonders off to find lone skulks
    * goes into an undefended hive, has ample time to shoot down a upgrade chamber or 2, but instead wait for skulks to spawn to get that easy kill
    * finds a gorge tunnel but won't shoot it down, waits on the other side for skulks to come out

Anyway, spec the some players in your ns2 community and you'd be surprised how many people actually do this. Note: the person actually need to be a decent shooter to do this.

You'll only find players start to change these sorts of habits once they've played enough, and they start developing a cohesive understanding of the game structure.

I'm guessing this post was made in satire describing poor team play habits.

Until players put the time in, and depending on how bright they are as well, players are not going to understand the deeper layers of the game.

I see teamplay logic really developing in that 300+ hour range on average for most players. I don't see the more complex logic often at all.
    SantaClaws wrote: »

It's rare that a single skulk can block a phase and grind every marine coming thru. It's not rare that a single skulk can kill a pg if marines don't try to rescue it.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Whut.

I remember when PGs used to have pushback. I miss it.
    @Cuel it's really really not rare in any kind of competetive game. Perhaps in pubs, but let's not discuss balance based on pubs shall we?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    There's a specific way to position yourself that will block the gate. Works almost every time if you know what your doing. It's a stupid bug that needs to be fixed... as well as the bug where skulks can climb on gates and cc's again.
    edited June 2014
    @Cuel it's really really not rare in any kind of competetive game. Perhaps in pubs, but let's not discuss balance based on pubs shall we?

I'd agree with you if what you said was vice versa... Never seen it in comp. In pubs I could expect since some don't know what to do when jumping thru a gate
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    I think this thread is a good example of how difficult this game is to understand. The OP can spectate good players and easily draw the wrong conclusions about what is happening. Most won't even go this far. Perhaps if he watched some competitive matches or advanced tutorials, he might have a different take on what he sees, but it would still take alot of experience and effort.

About a year ago, I really considered streaming lots of pub games and calling it "NS2 Pubbing: Commentary on Where I go and What I do" and literally just talk about my thought process as I play the game and the decisions I make. I think it would be eye opening for alot of pub players that it's not all just spawn killing and lucky shots but mainly being able to read the map and being prepared for the correct situation at the correct time.

i think the general gist of that is, don't be mindless.
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Kobe wrote: »
    When I played basketball in high school, I remember my coach saying this to me:
    Players need to be coached to play defense, because everyone wants to be the guy who puts the ball in the basket.

10 years later, this is still true. Again and again in online multiplayer games, I see players jacking up stats. It's always the same "I don't care if we win or not, as long as I get my 40/5" mentality. The problem is not so much the fact that they are jacking up stats, the problem is what some people would do in order to get that 40/5.

So what I've done in the past week is speccing a couple of players in my community and this is basically how they do it:

* always avoid big battles such as raiding a hive or defend base from alien rush, always look for lone skulks around the map
    * when base is getting bile rushed and comm drops a beacon, never aim for gorges or high life forms, always go for skulks (this result in onos/fades getting away from a chase down / structures being bile bombed)
    * never waste ammo on RTs, let teammate do the shoot down while waiting for skulks
    * never phase when PG is under attack, wonders off to find lone skulks
    * goes into an undefended hive, has ample time to shoot down a upgrade chamber or 2, but instead wait for skulks to spawn to get that easy kill
    * finds a gorge tunnel but won't shoot it down, waits on the other side for skulks to come out

Anyway, spec the some players in your ns2 community and you'd be surprised how many people actually do this. Note: the person actually need to be a decent shooter to do this.

You'll only find players start to change these sorts of habits once they've played enough, and they start developing a cohesive understanding of the game structure.

I'm guessing this post was made in satire describing poor team play habits.

Until players put the time in, and depending on how bright they are as well, players are not going to understand the deeper layers of the game.

I see teamplay logic really developing in that 300+ hour range on average for most players. I don't see the more complex logic often at all.

that's why I always advocated the cutoff for rookie green going away being 300 hours. everything less than that i can't really tell the difference.

at 600 they get a little dangerous. at 1000 i'm wary, at 1500 i'm going to dedicate myself to trying to flank, otherwise we lose.
    joshhh wrote: »
    There's a specific way to position yourself that will block the gate. Works almost every time if you know what your doing. It's a stupid bug that needs to be fixed... as well as the bug where skulks can climb on gates and cc's again.

the climbing on gate is a bug? hrm, thought i just never noticed it was that easy to block before. I'll have to go back to hopping up and down like a madman after they fix it then.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes. You're not suppose to be able to climb on gates or CC's. Don't know how, but something broke allowing you to do it again.
    Yes. You're not suppose to be able to climb on gates or CC's. Don't know how, but something broke allowing you to do it again.

they need to decrease the radius of clogs if they're going to do that. If i can't climb on that gate, i'd really like to be able to block it off with clogs, like a baller.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2014
    StBastard wrote: »
    Spawn killing instead of destroying upgrades is a lot more effective for the rines team. It's always better to have less aliens on the map, even if half of them are skulks. Having upgrades up but only 75% of the alien team actively playing is better for the rines than having 100% of the alien team deployed on map in exchange of destroying maybe a single upgrade. And that calls for some other alien players to get back to the room to get rid of the spawn killer, thus giving breath to the rines team in all the rest of the map.

The only thing that is really patethic and you didn't mention, it's when some players (and it happens, sadly), with rifle and a welder, don't weld the teammates with a SG/GL, waiting for the poor sod to die so they can grab the weapon for free. Now that's unexcusable.

Alien T-res is VERY important, killing an upgrade or two somewhat early in the game (<6 minutes) is crippling. Killing a couple of skulks that were respawning, and therefor probably not the alien hero players anyway, not so much. Maybe you would be right in a comp game, but I would pretty much always go for an upgrade in pub if I thought there was a chance in hell of me actually killing it. Lategame killing upgrades almost always triggers an onos or fade response as well, so that's a pretty good distraction too.

The only other thing from the OP I sort of agree with is the Gorge Tunnel. Just for reference, shooting the skulks that come out is going to trigger an alert anyway. They will see the skulk fighting, see you on the map from the skulks vision, and you will probably hit the tunnel with a stray bullet, and odds are you were scouted anyway at some point running to the tunnel and just don't know it yet. Of course, trying to solo a tunnel anyway is very unlikely to work, regardless of which tactic you take. I've managed it, but it's usually only when they no longer care about that tunnel, or are REALLY busy elsewhere.

Oh, and aiming for gorges, but NOT higher lifeforms, in a bile rush. Your base is gonna die if they don't. Only worth it if you can get a clear shot though, otherwise your main goal is to cover whoever CAN get a shot in.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Cuel wrote: »

It's rare that a single skulk can block a phase and grind every marine coming thru. It's not rare that a single skulk can kill a pg if marines don't try to rescue it.
    Frequency of an unintended mechanic that gives an overpowered advantage (read: exploit) should not dictate whether it needs fixing or not. One person able to get outside of a map and destroy bases with invincibility is all that's needed to occur before the knowledge spreads and changes that frequency. Exploits should be fixed regardless of perceived frequency.

Also, while a single skulk may not be able to kill *every* marine coming through.. they can most definitely take out the typical amount that would respond to just one measly skulk.
    Killing 3 marines in a row by exploiting that mechanic is not difficult as they get jammed in place / vision blocked by teammates model who is also jammed / disorientation from re-positioning code in effect due to colliding with an alien / delay of skulk model being drawn on screen.

Exploiting this mechanic, you can currently bite a marine twice before a skulk is even rendered on their screen. That alone is enough to require fixing, even if the 2nd marine was somehow always able to kill the skulk - which isn't the case.

It is a bug and it is being worked on currently by the CDT.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    amoral wrote: »

they need to decrease the radius of clogs if they're going to do that. If i can't climb on that gate, i'd really like to be able to block it off with clogs, like a baller.

Haven't thought of this as a lone gorge strat. Clog up their gate. Not sure how close to a gate you can build clogs, but seems like a really good strat. I will try this next time I am playing. Then you can single skulk grind the gate. Imagine, a gorge finds an undefended gate - clog it up, then go skulk and proceed to grind it alone.