SUBNAUTICA DROPPED!

2»

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    This game looks like Duke Nukem Forever. The idea may be similar, but realization of the project is way to harsh. Game even from the trailer looks like not polished. Crapy animations. Thay speeded up the premiere of the game. Probably because of Subnautica. UWE should promote Subnautica a litle more. So ppl know that if thay wait thay can buy a game waaaayyy more beautiful and polished. MORE SCREEENS, TRAILERS. SHOW THAM HOW GAME LIKE THIS SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

The thing is there maybe a legal issue with that. The main argument isn't the way they do it (better graphics and suff). It's what is the main idea behind. From the main concept to even the tiniest fish in there.

Ex: You cannot make Alien 5 (even if it's the best of all time) without any concern about the original franchise. It has to be approuved at some point by the franchise owner(s). I believe there was the same kind of approval for "Prometheus". It's clearly Alien universe stuff.

It makes me think of a modder team that was developping a Stargate mod for a game. The ended up stoping the project.

Unfortunatelly with time the open fields tend to be scarce. The fact is we see more and more sci-fi (not only) series that are rebooted (Galactica). Movies (spiderman, hulk, etc...) are also rebooted faster and faster.

I'm afraid UWE will have to prepare their case before launching the game. Graphics don't make it all for originality.

Granted; "FarSky" can also be a ripoff from something else. Yes we had many survival games like "Midwinter", "Robinson requiem" and it's gonna be hard to say FarSky has the world premiere on the survival theme. But the resemblance is troubling.

Also the Charlies interview (Another SN thread) states things like "Splicing DNA like Bioshock" and some other things. It might be a little hot in there.

The FarSky scenario is a comteporary adventure. Sharks seem to be earth sharks, right ? It's different in this way. Still, pushing the story X centuries in the future may not put UWE in a safe place either.

I wish you luck guys but better safe than sorry. Prepare yourself.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Looking at the ABZU trailer and that Farsky gameplay. I don't see Subnautica having any problems with competition from other underwater games or suffer from any negative comparison. We know the visual flair UWE is capable of producing and how amazing they are at designing for atmosphere. The graphical quality of the uniquely crafted world is absolutely going to lend its self to exploration and I don't think can be compared to the minimalist style of ABZU or an underwater architect simulator.

Honestly Subnautica is going to be sexy, really sexy - a space you want to explore because you genuinely want to see what you can discover.

I hope getting coop in at release is reconsidered, being able to 'delve into the depths' with your friends should be the focus of the game! Leave the minecraft elements at the door.
  • OrangeFr3akOrangeFr3ak Singapore Join Date: 2014-08-14 Member: 197962Members
    I really want to preorder this, since I like scuba diving games and they are hard to come by!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    UncleCrunch, I understand that you don't have a lot of information about Subnautica to go on yet, because we haven't released much in the way of detailed information. But you are far too concerned with us being too similar to Farsky. The world is very different, the creatures and environmental experiences, as well as how you interact with them, will be very very different.

There are so many gameplay differences that we already have and will have, that will become clearer as we release more information, but this constant comparing the two games because of the underwater setting and some crafting and survival elements, is a bit like comparing the Alien games to Natural Selection, because they are both in space and both feature shooting aliens. Similar themes do not = the same gameplay experiences, and certainly does not = a "ripoff"

Concerned ? ... You are more or less quite close (but not quite there), to what i would eventually not be ... generally speaking. :)

I'm just saying it's better to be prepared in case of. In USA there are a lot of low suits that end up in a weird way. "Marlboro man" etc...

This made me think about the Murphy's law. If it can happen... it will.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Am I the only one who, after 2 pages, is still utterly confused every time he reads the topic tittle.
    Change the ! to a ? at least for F sake. :P
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    BREAKING NEWS: SUBNAUTICA DROPPED!(?) AGAIN!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/251890/

Lmao... what's there to DO there? I love that it points out that it has multiplayer. "Team up!" ...yea and do WHAT exactly? XD
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I must admit graphically it does seem very similar to SN, but it is based on real world diving. I expect SN to be much more interesting.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I'm just winding up @flayra and the UWE team. I know SN will be much better/different than the rest. It's very interesting that this genre of game seems to be common all of a sudden though!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @tallhotblonde‌ - It is not really a surprise, when you realise the world just works in cycles. It goes from liberal to conservative and back again with every generation. Loose clothed hippies, were followed by tight clothed rockers/metalheads, were followed by loose clothed indie/rap (depending on location) stars, followed by the tight clothed last decade of pop and rock.

Everything goes in cycles, we had futuristic shooters, Quake/UT, then Historical shooters COD 1&2, DOD, then modern shooters, and now with titanfall and the new cod we are going back to futuristic shooters.

By the same token, games tend to cycle from Land & Air based games, to Sea & Space games, and back again. Sea & Space crop up when we are in a liberal phase, which is just what we are moving into now, clothes are getting looser, music is starting to come from new avenues again, rather than the iron grip of industry execs, this too is a pattern - 60s, corporate music, 70's any hippie could be a star, 80's was corporate. 90's any bedroom producer could get a hit, 00's corporate control again, now the 10's, new music is coming from the people again, soundcloud etc..

Everything is cyclic, and when you recognise that, it becomes very easy to predict what type of music, films and games should be made. Now is the time of Sea and Space :)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've bought and played FarSky. It's an impressive effort from a 1 man team. Although it shares the underwater space, the games are very, very different. :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @tallhotblonde‌ - It is not really a surprise, when you realise the world just works in cycles. It goes from liberal to conservative and back again with every generation. Loose clothed hippies, were followed by tight clothed rockers/metalheads, were followed by loose clothed indie/rap (depending on location) stars, followed by the tight clothed last decade of pop and rock.

Everything goes in cycles, we had futuristic shooters, Quake/UT, then Historical shooters COD 1&2, DOD, then modern shooters, and now with titanfall and the new cod we are going back to futuristic shooters.

By the same token, games tend to cycle from Land & Air based games, to Sea & Space games, and back again. Sea & Space crop up when we are in a liberal phase, which is just what we are moving into now, clothes are getting looser, music is starting to come from new avenues again, rather than the iron grip of industry execs, this too is a pattern - 60s, corporate music, 70's any hippie could be a star, 80's was corporate. 90's any bedroom producer could get a hit, 00's corporate control again, now the 10's, new music is coming from the people again, soundcloud etc..

Everything is cyclic, and when you recognise that, it becomes very easy to predict what type of music, films and games should be made. Now is the time of Sea and Space :)

That's actually a pretty interesting observation.

I'm just glad it's time for sea and SPACE again, because there really isn't enough new sci-fi out there (movies, games, whatever). (In case you didn't notice, i love SPACE)