The other UWE booth game at PAX

ComproxComprox *chortle*Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited April 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

"There are 2 games being set up at our #paxeast booth. @subnautica and... Can anyone guess the other? It's not @ns2... "

So, anyone seen it yet? :D

edit - Just so everyone is clear at this point. This is what it is: Combat is being released standalone on Steam, using the Spark engine, by Faultline games.

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2014
    Combat. Hopefully it performs well.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The worlds worst kept secret....:D
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The worlds worst kept secret....:D

Which is what tends to happen when there is a blog post and a million tweets and a million hypes and multiple people hinting at it in threads...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

But Combat is not "is not ns2" ?
    edited April 2014
    xen32 wrote: »

But Combat is not "is not ns2" ?

Combat is being released standalone on Steam, using the Spark engine, by Faultline games.

Because it is a separate entity on the store I guess that was reason enough to call it 'not NS2'
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is the game from Faultline. Not sure if it is spark though according to what I have read on their website!
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    It is the game from Faultline. Not sure if it is spark though according to what I have read on their website!
    what website?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    elodea wrote: »
    what website?

http://faultlinegames.com/

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    current1y wrote: »
    gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle
    yea, they arn't on page 1 results = does not exist for me.

*thanks for link
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    current1y wrote: »

Come one @current1y‌, you can do better than those hints!
    Here is the link he needed. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=faultlinegames

All joking aside, it is not on page 1 for me either. I do find their twitter though.

I also wouldn't mind if other mods went standalone Cough factions cough.
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if it is spark though according to what I have read on their website!

Uh, quote for that?

Pretty sure its Spark.

Edit 1:
    Press Release.

Edit 2:
    Screenshot:
    7gEmdQo9IhWxrBUickSp21RRTQG-1wtufU-7E8VoMa5Y8lSrKzocv4qOekZ55inOHCU5pONAqpIGGOKreJ71bimX_f7QUdNuj1ghZDSr6_TS2SwYnQRA35DR0J0sXA
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Awesome!
    So now we get a dudes-who-can-aim-and-use-lifeforms-yet-still-dont-know-what-to-do- Tsunami of greens next sale i guess?
    Can we still call those folks noob?

Oh btw: combat standalone and f2p i suppose?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because it's obvious to google search with no space between faultline and games right? RIGHT?!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    They should let us NS2ers get into combat now. :D

Yay for more NS Beta!
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    Bring back the HMG's!...... please
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    We've been playtesting Combat for quite some time. The Combat Devs @ Faultline have done amazing work! It's really fun to play and they have been listening to feedback from both an old skool perspective and the needs of today's gamers. It's running on the same engine as NS2, but they are doing their own thing, and it's awesome.

Can't wait for you all to see it! :D
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are the faultline game servers in ns2 serverbrowser the pax boothpc's ?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited April 2014
    Glad that you guys are excited for this, we have been working our butts off for the past two months to get this ready for PAX and we definitely have a couple of surprises in store for you! more to come on that at a later date.

We realize that our website needs more work and make it easier to find but honestly with all the work that had to be done to get NS2: Combat in good shape for PAX, not much attention was put towards the website or the social media aspect of things, and it is something we are learning to become better at.
    Our website is http://www.faultlinegames.com where we post updates and blog about different aspects of game development.
    And for updates and other shenanigans follow us on twitter https://twitter.com/faultlinegames
    Can't wait to reveal more to you guys!
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will Faultline Games also tweak/tune Spark itself, so NS2 will benefit from it?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    They have a complete copy of the engine to run their game on. Nothing they change will affect NS2.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    joshhh wrote: »
    They have a complete copy of the engine to run their game on. Nothing they change will affect NS2.

@MrFangs Exactly what Joshhhy said. I mean, if they manage to find the cause of some weird bug, we'd be able to fix it in NS2 as well, but that's about the extent of it.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    One reason Combat are released as a separate game is so changes in NS2 don't break combat.

An NS2 mod is very vulnerable to changes in the NS2 code... which I think all modders are aware of.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's a mountain of questions I could ask about the standalone version, like regarding how it could benefit or splinter the existing playerbase, but I wish your team luck.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm curious how and if this will work out. What will hinder us from playing the regular and broken combat as ns2 mod? Will NS2:Combat cost money? If yes, how much? Will a game which is basically a "smaller" version of a pretty niche indie game successful? (And on what maps are we going to play?)

Anyway, good luck!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There's a mountain of questions I could ask about the standalone version, like regarding how it could benefit or splinter the existing playerbase, but I wish your team luck.

I think Combat will strengthen this community, not divide it. All those new players who rage because they get owned in every fight can now practice without consequence to dying. Once they get better at using the lifeforms and fighting, they can go back into NS games and feel more confident.

Of course, there are players who will only play one version or the other, but having a "training ground" game like Combat will enable more new players to actually enjoy regular NS games, and stick around for longer. Also, those who don't like NS games, but do like Combat will keep playing and spreading the word about the NS franchise, meaning more people who might play NS over combat.

From personal experience, I most likely would not have played NS1 so much if combat didnt exist. It helped me get better, and was very fun when I just wanted to kill stuff.

This will do nothing but benefit the game and the community.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    And will our mountain of cosmetic dlc and badges be accessible between the two? If I can't show my black armor and emblems I don't know how I'll make it. :P
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I'm curious how and if this will work out. What will hinder us from playing the regular and broken combat as ns2 mod? Will NS2:Combat cost money? If yes, how much? Will a game which is basically a "smaller" version of a pretty niche indie game successful? (And on what maps are we going to play?)

Anyway, good luck!

I don't believe that there are any active plans to nuke Combat mod, but I could be wrong. However, the devs also aren't going to waste their time fixing a free mod when they can make their own game.

The beautiful thing about standalone Combat is that they can (and have!) made new abilities. There's also a number of new maps - some of them are familiar combat maps and some are totally new (and really freaking awesome).

If you guys have ideas for things you think would be awesome for Combat, GO POST THEM IN THEIR FORUMS!
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    7gEmdQo9IhWxrBUickSp21RRTQG-1wtufU-7E8VoMa5Y8lSrKzocv4qOekZ55inOHCU5pONAqpIGGOKreJ71bimX_f7QUdNuj1ghZDSr6_TS2SwYnQRA35DR0J0sXA

Sweet. I wonder how the new upgrade system will work because this screenshot is a bit confusing to me. I understand that there are 20 max upgrade points as opposed to 12 in the mod, and I assume the number in each upgrade icon is the associated cost. Now you get a free upgrade point at game start's level 1?

Upgrades are now grouped by levels 1 to 10, so perhaps these are level restrictions? If so, then it seems to restrict some freedom of choice that we currently have in the mod. For example, you can no longer rush JPs using a mere 4 points. I know that rushing JPs is a terrible idea in the first place since you'd have puny damage output. Why make this no longer an option for those who want to rush JPs anyway, though? If this is meant to solve early game balance vs skulks, well, you can get a lerk with great upgrades using those same 4 points that will decimate early JPers. I assume lifeforms are overhauled as well, so I guess this comparison might be moot.

On the other hand, I find that some of these level restrictions offer more freedom than before since the old weapon/armor level requirements seem to no longer exist. I guess that you can now entirely skip weapon/armor upgrades if you want to play more of a support role for your team. The level restrictions also solve a few balance issues, such as fast 2-point shotguns that wreck early game skulks. Granted, fast shotties in the mod already have the disadvantage of less range of engagement due to the loss of the LMG and getting whittled down by spiking lerks.

The only confusing thing to me is the inclusion of between two to five pips next to some of the upgrades, especially since there are no upgrade points spent in this screenshot. Considering that there are no longer icons for separate weapons/armor levels, perhaps these are indeed current upgrade levels? If so, then weapons/armor 5 should be very interesting and certainly beneficial to aggressive marines who opt to skip some of the more support-oriented upgrades. They would also greatly benefit exos since they're currently a bit too easy to kill in the mod considering that there can only be one type of exo out on the field at a time. The return of dual railgun/miniguns is great as well.

I find the prospect of sentry, armory, and phase gate upgrades exciting. Perhaps all three of these structures can be deployed anywhere in the field? The only ambiguous upgrade seems to be the observatory icon, but I assume that will be the structure as well. If so, then doesn't this make the scan upgrade a bit redundant? I assume the new level 6 upgrade will be similar to Catalyst Pack or perhaps it will offer a flat running speed increase. Maybe the new level 5 upgrade will let teammates weld you quicker or regenerate your armor on its own over time. With the advent of deployable marine structures, will gorges be able to drop a shift, crag, and shade as well? If so, then I wholeheartedly welcome this throwback to NS1.

I'm excited that there will be some new maps, but will old ones like spacejump (lol) be updated? Will there be any new objectives besides killing the opposing team and their hive/CC? Will aliens still be able to get both evolutions/traits from the spur/shell/veil types? This is fun as aliens in the mod, but I think it's a bit too powerful on lifeforms like fades. Lastly, like many others are wondering, will we have to pay for this standalone game or will it be tied to regular sales of NS2 and *wink wink* given free to already existing NS2 players?