[Bug Report] Whips sometimes don't deal dmg

Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Not sure whether this is intentional, after the whip change in b263 whips sometimes don't deal ANY damage anymore.

Reproduce:
1) Build/echo whips to an enemy building
2) Sometimes they don't do damage, sometimes they do (fixable by moving/rerooting, can happen again)

If this is an intended change, it's shockingly stup... bad. If you don't like the dmg whips do, they should rather get a dmg nerf or somthing, not something annoying like that, esp when it can cause whips to sit to buildings/nodes forever without dealing any dmg. May be ok vs _moving_ players or so, but it's still a very meh mechanic.

Comments

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This was present in 262 as well (and who knows, maybe even before). It happens way too often now.
    Best example would be, I'm watching a stream and aliens are dominating heavily on Veil. 6 whips placed in topo, 3 on each side of entrance. Marine heading to topo, everyone is excited to see how he is going to die to six whips. And they whack him and deal exactly zero damage and marines just runs through like if it was empty room.

Sometimes I teleport whips to kill RT that no teammate is even trying to attack. I echo it and go back to my khamm business just to find out a minute later that all that time whip was whacking extractor for zero damage.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's been like this for a while (since they went client side, or whatever the change was)

You can also sit and watch whips just not attack at all for extended periods of time, be it vs a marine or structure, it's stupid, annoying and broken (imo). >.>
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    This bug is really annoying. Yesterday I got about 6 arcs in my base, and a whip just stood there watching. The second whip used the melee attack instead of the bile bomb, so i had to move it further away to deal this greater amount of damage.

On the other side, I was able to detonate mines as a skulk and the explosion did 0 damage to me. So maybe that evens it out :D
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get hit by whips 1 out of 5 times :P
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I've also had mines do no damage to me on at least two occasions but I can't reproduce it.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Found out after playing a comm game, if you move a whip and it starts attacking, if you are looking at it. It will deal damage, the second you look away from it/it renders out due to distance, they fail to update and do damage again. If however you move it and watch it it will deal damage. Until you look away again.... Had 1v1 game of ns2 as aliens, which is really damn hard when your countless whips do no damage to a damned thing.

It would seem they get forgotten about when there is no player in-range to render it. If someone walks upto a whip it seems to wake up 50% of the time. But if you're using them to do structure vs structure, just give up because unless you have the time to waste watching your whips do things, nothing at all happens.

This naturally doesn't occur with sentries though :/
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    So you're saying that whips are pretty much like shitty employees. Only does work when someone is watching them.

Lazy bastards.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited March 2014
    I don't know what you're talking about! Whips are incredible structures that always land hits when I use them. In fact, I can probably build an army of whips and kill the Marine team without an Alien ever leaving my base!

EDIT - *Sarcasm*
    Before I get more disagree markers, lol.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I was chased as gorge into !five! cloaked whips. The sg rine was badly wounded, one hit would have saved my gorge's life. I ran past the whips, he ran past the whips and killed me. You know what happened? Every single whip decided it was better to throw bile at a rine without armor then bloody smack him to pieces. One single target and they all failed me o.O

And when you echo a few whips into an enemy base, you have to micromanage them. 2/4 made damage in my case (is it intended that bile does instant damage and not dot vs structures?) and I had to move the other two around the bloody CC until they found a spot from that they could attack - infestation was present.

Whips are somehow not reliable anymore. And I would at least want to have the choice if I mature the whip as comm or not (well, not for like 15res upgrades or sth, just an option to click or make it that those tentacles are not maturing without mist).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I was on the receiving end of whips yesterday...

Merrily shooting the hive *whack*, *reload* *whack*, Keep shooting at the hive *whack* *whack*...

No damage.

Whips are broken atm.

Now... How about we build a whip-army on mineshaft now. Sure alien win!
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Wasn't there a time [bug] when whips only attacked you if you attacked them as well?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was chased as gorge into !five! cloaked whips. The sg rine was badly wounded, one hit would have saved my gorge's life. I ran past the whips, he ran past the whips and killed me. You know what happened? Every single whip decided it was better to throw bile at a rine without armor then bloody smack him to pieces. One single target and they all failed me o.O

And when you echo a few whips into an enemy base, you have to micromanage them. 2/4 made damage in my case (is it intended that bile does instant damage and not dot vs structures?) and I had to move the other two around the bloody CC until they found a spot from that they could attack - infestation was present.

Whips are somehow not reliable anymore. And I would at least want to have the choice if I mature the whip as comm or not (well, not for like 15res upgrades or sth, just an option to click or make it that those tentacles are not maturing without mist).

I hate that about whips, after they mature, they don't do damage, as in they only bile (as far as I can tell). By the same token, I don't usually use whips that much as alien comm except in early game for area deny.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Just because it's in NS2 doesn't mean it has to work correctly. I thought everyone would have learned that right away.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members

I hate that about whips, after they mature, they don't do damage, as in they only bile (as far as I can tell). By the same token, I don't usually use whips that much as alien comm except in early game for area deny.

They do both. But the bombard range is longer than the whipping range. If it's outside regular whipping range it will do a bombard attack but anything within will be a regular whip attack. In this situation, the whip would have registered a marine in bombard range before it got to whipping range, thus starting the bombard attack. And the marine was able to escape getting regular whipped because of the cooldown between attacks. It should be changed to not do the bombard attack if the enemy it would bombard has no armour. That way it can lay in wait for the marine to get in whipping range before trying to damage him/her.
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about making it a toggle between range and melee whips?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    It should be changed to not do the bombard attack if the enemy it would bombard has no armour. That way it can lay in wait for the marine to get in whipping range before trying to damage him/her.
    If I can't tell by looking if a marine has armour, why should a whip?

Runki wrote: »
    How about making it a toggle between range and melee whips?
    That's more like it.

But really, range-dependant attacks arent that much of an issue, its the not-dealing-damage bug as mentioned above that makes them unweildy.

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited May 2014
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    It should be changed to not do the bombard attack if the enemy it would bombard has no armour. That way it can lay in wait for the marine to get in whipping range before trying to damage him/her.
    If I can't tell by looking if a marine has armour, why should a whip?

Because including a bombard functionality onto a fully mature whip suggests that the whip is supposed to be better once it reaches 100%, not worse. Whilst bombard has it's own situational utility which can sometimes be good to have, if an unarmoured or a barely armoured marine can abuse the cooldown between a bombard and a whip slap by triggering the bombard, then running past, then I think it still becomes worse.

The inclusion of nutrient mist as a means to mature structures for a tres cost implies that structures are supposed to get better as they mature. And they do, they get more hp. But if part of the game design is to add extra utility that only unlocks at 100%, it would stand to reason that such utility would make the structure better as a whole. If this included utility serves a secondary function to the structures primary more useful function (in this case, the whip slap), and that secondary function gets in the way of the structure executing it's primary function, then unless steps are taken to mitigate this issue (like the one I suggested), then said fully mature structure will remain worse than a 99% mature structure. Thus this secondary utility that full maturity provides should be removed, included in non-mature whips, reworked the way I suggested, or at least given an on-off switch. Perhaps even the ability for the commander to choose to upgrade the whips to bombard whips once they've reached full maturity (at no cost). Leaving it as it is makes less sense than intelligent whips with infra-red armour detecting vision.

If it's a choice between gameplay and immersion, I'll choose gameplay (although I guess it doesn't have to be a choice if you go with the other alternatives). Besides, the only alien unit that needs to know if you have armour is the gorge. And if I have aura then I'll know whether to spit or bilebomb, so it's not that far removed from what we've already got. Commander can also tell if an enemy has armour if they click on them. So who cares if whips can if it solves a gameplay issue.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Whip bug introduced 23 builds ago and UWE goes:
    Guys whips deal 0 damage 75% of the time...Oh ok, then lets make the cost 10 becouse they suck

- problem solved until build 300 or after subnautica is released.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Guys whips deal 0 damage 75% of the time...Oh ok, then lets make the cost 10 becouse they suck

If it is released.

Anybody can reproduce this bug buy using bot on local server.
    cheats 1
    addbot 3 1
    addbot 3 2

and play khammander.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    The whip bug is fixed on CompMod, I believe the problem was the whips were doing a LOS check to the marine and the attack was being blocked by the marine's weapon.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    RadimaX wrote: »

It has been introduced in the last build. (And if not that, in a recent build.) And we currently have no reason to assume that it won't be fixed in the next build.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Golden wrote: »
    The whip bug is fixed on CompMod, I believe the problem was the whips were doing a LOS check to the marine and the attack was being blocked by the marine's weapon.
    Well if a whip was about to hit me, I'd probably hold up something in self-defense.
    Makes game more realistic, keep it.
    Or tie it to rifle butting so if your timing is amazing you can beat the whip's attack back.

^ Terrible idea balance-wise but wouldnt that be fun? :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »
    Well if a whip was about to hit me, I'd probably hold up something in self-defense.
    Makes game more realistic, keep it.
    Or tie it to rifle butting so if your timing is amazing you can beat the whip's attack back.

^ Terrible idea balance-wise but wouldnt that be fun? :P

I think of the whip like a tongue, which are surprisingly strong, but bigger therefor far stronger. Enough to break your puny gun in two like a martial arts master. They also spew bile acid when mature. If we are being real about it, that is.
    YES MEATMACHINE, YES, IT WOULD BE FUN WOULDNT IT