NS2WC SEMI FINALS

2»

Comments

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yup. I've enjoyed the games so far and the casting too but it has felt like routine ENSL matching casting, not a world cup. It seems like the money put in has only been for the benefit for 4 teams and a small crowd who'll get to watch it in person. Over $32000 was raise yet and yet it feels like they've just relied on getting the occasional front page on Twitch for promo and this forum (where they are preaching to the converted). It's a massive opportunity wasted. I'm not sure I blame the casters for this though as it is UWE's game to promote. The community does something amazing like this and they could have got press releases out there, got some magazine/website coverage and generally made a noise about both the World Championships and how a small but dedicated community has backed their game in such a great way. Now the only heads that will turn is a lesser percentage of the player-base and a handful of players that stumble on to it from Twitch.

Not good.

What is worse is that NS2 matches on Twitch are now days apart. This time last year, I could load Twitch on pretty much any night and watch a match. Even if there wasn't a match on that night, so many had been played I could watch a previous one I missed. Sad times. :(
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This is temp down time for comp ns2 since we are in-between events. But don't worry, season 4 is starting late Feb iirc and the Custom Cup will start sooner... so you will have lots of matches to watch then.
    :D
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

Yep. If you compare it to any sport this is like the post season where a few select teams are preparing to play every weekend. The live event should be a good show, after that the custom cup should be entertaining to watch. The action won't REALLY pick up till season 4 begins though. Where every team of every division has to play every week.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yup. I've enjoyed the games so far and the casting too but it has felt like routine ENSL matching casting, not a world cup. It seems like the money put in has only been for the benefit for 4 teams and a small crowd who'll get to watch it in person. Over $32000 was raise yet and yet it feels like they've just relied on getting the occasional front page on Twitch for promo and this forum (where they are preaching to the converted). It's a massive opportunity wasted. I'm not sure I blame the casters for this though as it is UWE's game to promote. The community does something amazing like this and they could have got press releases out there, got some magazine/website coverage and generally made a noise about both the World Championships and how a small but dedicated community has backed their game in such a great way. Now the only heads that will turn is a lesser percentage of the player-base and a handful of players that stumble on to it from Twitch.

Not good.

What is worse is that NS2 matches on Twitch are now days apart. This time last year, I could load Twitch on pretty much any night and watch a match. Even if there wasn't a match on that night, so many had been played I could watch a previous one I missed. Sad times. :(

Is this something new? The PR department of UWE has always been something lacking, sadly, imo.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2WC Horizon Finals Match | Mimic vs. Singularity | 2/3/14 | 6pm PST/3am CET | REDDOG.TV |
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

Not good.

lolz. They are flying 4 teams to germany. UWE is buying their plane tickets (and lodging too IIRC).
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members

Not good.

lolz. They are flying 4 teams to germany. UWE is buying their plane tickets (and lodging too IIRC).

The only thing UWE paid for is the studio, thats it.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Not good.

I'm sorry that the games leading up to the finals havent been what you were hoping for. I can tell you that we got great love from PC Gamer both in the US and France and have published articles about the event and our community, also yes Twitch graciously got us some front page promotion and will for the Final on Monday Night as well. The live event is only 3 weeks away and you can expect more promotion to start coming out and we have some great content already in the works for the broadcast, so stay tuned!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Why does the event not appear under e-sports articles on the PCGamer site? I have tried UK and US version but get no results.

http://www.pcgamer.com/category/esports-2/
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "NS2 is not an e-Sport. The NS2WC is not about professional players. This is an ameteur competition in the truest and most noble sense: Players from all over the world demonstrating their skill and finesse in one of the most demanding, deep and exciting games in the world. The reaction times, accuracy, teamwork, leadership, tactics and strategy that NS2 players display do not just justify an event: They demand it."

READ! :D x
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »

Not good.

@Super_Sars: not according to their own NS2 WC post: "To make this event happen, Wasabi and co must raise $30,000 – The estimated cost to fly twenty four players across the world."

Their gofundme page says they are paying to fly the winners: "To bring together twenty-four players and a handful of casters, we need to raise $30,000. Why so much money? Simple arithmetic. Players will be coming from every corner of the Earth. To fly and house a team from Australia, Brazil, or the United States will cost well over $1,000 per player. Not every player will cost that much - Many will be European, but even then the costs will be significant.

Raising $30,000 guarantees that we can fly every player to Köln, no matter what. Should we spend less than $30,000 on travel expenses, we will put every single unspent dollar into the event prize pool."

It even says they will give a trip away to a NS2WC contributor: "One Contributor will win a trip to the LIVE Final" (Which I haven't heard announced...@wasabione, @redDog)

GG.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It even says they will give a trip away to a NS2WC contributor: "One Contributor will win a trip to the LIVE Final" (Which I haven't heard announced...@wasabione, @redDog)

This was announced on a State of the Game episode and the winner is all set with their tickets to go (he is from France). UWE is also covering the costs for Twitch front page promotion for the length of the event.

Not good.

@Super_Sars: not according to their own NS2 WC post: "To make this event happen, Wasabi and co must raise $30,000 – The estimated cost to fly twenty four players across the world."

Their gofundme page says they are paying to fly the winners: "To bring together twenty-four players and a handful of casters, we need to raise $30,000. Why so much money? Simple arithmetic. Players will be coming from every corner of the Earth. To fly and house a team from Australia, Brazil, or the United States will cost well over $1,000 per player. Not every player will cost that much - Many will be European, but even then the costs will be significant.

Raising $30,000 guarantees that we can fly every player to Köln, no matter what. Should we spend less than $30,000 on travel expenses, we will put every single unspent dollar into the event prize pool."

GG.

I don't think you really understand the organization of whats going on. UWE is not running the NS2WC, they are completely separate. They have contributed to some of the costs of the event, cost of the studio and twitch, but thats it. The $30,000 raised was from 339 community contributors and donations from Intel and Nvidia.
    edited February 2014
    @Super_Sars It's all the same $30K that was referenced in my original quote that some guy was complaining about how little the $30K seemed to do.
    @Super_Sars It's all the same $30K that was referenced in my original quote that some guy was complaining about how little the $30K seemed to do.

How little the $30k seemed to do? I don't know what anyone was expecting from that $30k other than paying for the travel expenses of the players going and the left over money going to the prize pool. But that aside, I guess I don't really see what you're arguing back about. You said that UWE was paying for the travel, they aren't.

On the side note that UWE could have done more to help promote it, sure that would been awesome, but they did fail pretty bad at that.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Now the only heads that will turn is a lesser percentage of the player-base and a handful of players that stumble on to it from Twitch.

These handful of players buy copies for their friends so they can play together.
    edited February 2014

How little the $30k seemed to do? I don't know what anyone was expecting from that $30k other than paying for the travel expenses of the players going and the left over money going to the prize pool. But that aside, I guess I don't really see what you're arguing back about. You said that UWE was paying for the travel, they aren't.

On the side note that UWE could have done more to help promote it, sure that would been awesome, but they did fail pretty bad at that.

UWE is paying for travel and lodging that's why they raised 30K, otherwise the fundraising would have been much less. I mentioned that originally because the first guy I quoted was wondering why for 30K there wasn't much advertising.

UWE is paying for travel and lodging that's why they raised 30K, otherwise the fundraising would have been much less. I mentioned that originally because the first guy I quoted was wondering why for 30K there wasn't much advertising.

The NS2WC is not UWE, they are seperate. The NS2WC is run by community members not UWE. I don't see how people can't figure this out.

The first line from this page? "This event was conceived and organized by a group of dedicated fans."

ns2wc.com/?page_id=1797
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer

What do you not understand? The entity that raised $30k is not UWE. UWE paid for twitch front page and studio costs ONLY. All travel and lodging is paid out of the $30k raised by the separate entity.