Buffing railguns from 95% useless to 90% useless

2»

Comments

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Agreed that railguns are not worth the res right now. At first glance I think if it were buffed enough to work for pub play it would be OP for comp play, but personally I would like to see that because exos never appear in comp play anyway, since the jetpack provides so much mobility as well as a pretty devastating offense. I think if the gun were simply changed to have a cooldown instead of a charge up it would would be much more viable. Or at the least get rid of the stupid auto-discharge... how stupid is it to give the exo pilot that 1 second window of full charge to land a hit? It should charge up and stay at full charge until fired and there should be NO delay with a dual, it should simply be a 2nd railgun.
    Its so annoying to get wiped out by 3 decent skulks because I missed 1 shot.. and the quick follow up shots arent enough to kill them you need to charge for so long that they have time to bite through 2 exos worth of armor.
    The problem I see from that would be one-shotting a lerk and potentially a fade. To that I would say just reduce the railguns damage a little so that its not possible to oneshot a fade.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    joederp wrote: »
    I think if the gun were simply changed to have a cooldown instead of a charge up it would would be much more viable. Or at the least get rid of the stupid auto-discharge... how stupid is it to give the exo pilot that 1 second window of full charge to land a hit?
    The auto-discharge seems necessary so it requires some foresight to use; i.e. a skill ceiling, and also makes it so aliens can hear their impending death and take evasive maneuveurs to avoid getting esploded.

It's kind of stupid though, in that most railgun exos will be charging/auto discharging their guns constantly, even with nothing around- just for that ability to potentially oneshot something that peeks round a corner. It looks silly!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    joederp wrote: »
    Agreed that railguns are not worth the res right now. At first glance I think if it were buffed enough to work for pub play it would be OP for comp play, but personally I would like to see that because exos never appear in comp play anyway, since the jetpack provides so much mobility as well as a pretty devastating offense. I think if the gun were simply changed to have a cooldown instead of a charge up it would would be much more viable. Or at the least get rid of the stupid auto-discharge... how stupid is it to give the exo pilot that 1 second window of full charge to land a hit? It should charge up and stay at full charge until fired and there should be NO delay with a dual, it should simply be a 2nd railgun.
    Its so annoying to get wiped out by 3 decent skulks because I missed 1 shot.. and the quick follow up shots arent enough to kill them you need to charge for so long that they have time to bite through 2 exos worth of armor.
    The problem I see from that would be one-shotting a lerk and potentially a fade. To that I would say just reduce the railguns damage a little so that its not possible to oneshot a fade.

Didn't realise the auto discharge thing til recently (never go exo). The auto discharge is so broken. I can't hit anything on full charge, because I need to time the shots exactly. The aliens can hear the discharge shot and rush in when I can't shoot them with enough damage. If the charge can be held for 3-5 seconds it would be better (or doesn't discharge until button released). To make this work for dual rail, just make it so if you charge your 2nd rail, at 50% it will auto discharge the other rail, so at any one time, you can have 150% of max damage for a rail gun (1 full charge and 1 half charge). If you charge both at once, then they go to 75% each (and discharge after 3-5 secs).