Should not voting be counted as a no vote

Comments

• jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    17 votes No
    67 votes Yes

VOTE FAILED
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    I'm confused, should people visiting this thread (351 views in total atm) who do not vote also count towards a no in this poll :>
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I set the poll up, cleverly, so that if you don't vote it counts as a no vote which is voting "No it should not count as a no vote" :>
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    jostol wrote: »
    17 votes No
    67 votes Yes

VOTE FAILED
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I'm confused, should people visiting this thread (351 views in total atm) who do not vote also count towards a no in this poll :>

This made me chuckle. #ns2Logic #swag
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So it turns out that only mods can make polls.

*does the "i told you so" dance*
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So it turns out that only mods can make polls.

*does the "i told you so" dance*
    You've done it now Mr. Horse of Iron, try and dodge this one >:)

This is why I wub polls, you can do magic in here while the poll takes care of the results!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I'm confused. Is IronHorse going to do a poll dance for us now?

Never know how these new guys might like to celebrate.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    The NS2 community has like 5000 players and only 100 of them have voted in this thread.

POLL FAILED!

This is necessary to stop abuse.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @amb nice exaggeration, but did you read the OP?
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Something to obviously fail the 3:1 5:1 votes but not 10:1 or 8:1 votes for a new map. As this is specifically where the problem is of people going AFK during map vote leaving half the server to vote yes, which fails very often.

So griefing/abuse is still being accounted for. ;)
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    The ratios need to be adjustable/higher if this implemented. Otherwise I can say for sure the votes will stay disabled (except for RRR) on my servers at least, which is the best way to stop the abuse anyway :P Most of the time I don't even see votes being started for legitmate reasons and many people just pressing f1 to anything.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Walsa wrote: »
    The problem with option 2 is that it could be abused. If it is changed, I would like to see a var in the server config to use one or the other.
    Only if people don't care enough to vote. Then that's on them.
  • XipXip Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185863Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    Speaking of in-game votes (so not quite totally off-topic), kick votes should be team only, not all. It's in the opposing team's interest NOT to kick an afk player.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I think that the general voting should be redone entirely.

1st, Vote kick only your own team (or spec/ready room)
    2nd, Map change should take place after the round (should not be the alternative to surrender)
    3rd, Random should shuffle everyone not just the ready room (if the round hast started)

As far as this Poll goes... just take the middle ground, no vote counts as it does now but has 1/2 the weight. or heck take it back a century 3/5's wait can i say that?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    first off, it's in the opposing teams interest go not kick someone afk, yes if you're cynical. if you're equally cynical, it's in the teams interest not to kick someone using an aimbot. sauce for the gander and all. just make it a simple.majority andleave aabstained as no votes. if you can't convince your team to vote to.kick someone afk, well, kicking players shouldn't be trivial. it's robust against trolling too.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also kicking someone in the RR/Spec should prob be available to all not just that "team".
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I voted for the last option because i *think* that is the one saying we should only count votes cast towards the result, however there are so many negatives, a *triple negative?* in the option that my brain got confused and cannot be sure, so if it was the wrong option, the poll will be incorrect :P
    edited January 2014
    The problem with option 2 is that it could be abused. If it is changed, I would like to see a var in the server config to use one or the other.

Have you guys ever participated in any presidential elections? A lot of people don't GAF enough to vote, it's the same every election, and yet a new president is elected every 4 years guaranteed. But according to some of the retarded logic demonstrated in this thread, the only reason new presidents are elected is because the voters abused the voting system. /facepalm

Can you guys imagine if Barrack Obama won like 80% of the votes and they say to him "Sorry Senator Obama, not everyone voted so you can't be our next president, we don't want the system to be abused".

/lmfao
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Amb wrote: »

Have you guys ever participated in any presidential elections? A lot of people don't GAF enough to vote, it's the same every election, and yet a new president is elected every 4 years guaranteed. But according to some of the retarded logic demonstrated in this thread, the only reason new presidents are elected is because the voters abused the voting system. /facepalm

Can you guys imagine if Barrack Obama won like 80% of the votes and they say to him "Sorry Senator Obama, not everyone voted so you can't be our next president, we don't want the system to be abused".

/lmfao

It's not abused if not everyone has voted per se...

I could theoretically abuse the election system, If i physically prevent all people from voting, except my group. This would be a good reason to invalid the whole vote, wouldn't it?

In NS2 I am 90% at the time the first one finished to load a new map. I could start a map vote instantly after (I don't know about kicking people at the loading screen, this could be worse), but every one joining after my vote was initiated will not see the vote. If they don't get counted as "No", this vote will pass most of the time.
    That is one form of abusing the system if not all non-voters are counted as "No".
    (But the more obvious would be the vote spamming, which gets really ridiculous sometimes)

You can't compare a presidential election with the ingame NS2 voting system. You can't hide a presidential election from the population and you can re-initiate a election every week until the result pleases you.

I personally really don't care if I have to actively vote "No" or if I can do it passively. But there are some issues with it, which you have to address. And keep in mind, not every non-voter will stay a non-voter if it doesn't count as a "no" anymore. So I don't think many more votes will pass with this change.
    (At least not kick votes. There may be more people who don't care about a map vote, though. But I really don't know if it would make such a big difference here, too.)
    The vote not appearing because you loaded in after it was called is a separate issue entirely.
    edited January 2014
    B3rT wrote: »
    In NS2 I am 90% at the time the first one finished to load a new map. I could start a map vote instantly after (I don't know about kicking people at the loading screen, this could be worse), but every one joining after my vote was initiated will not see the vote. If they don't get counted as "No", this vote will pass most of the time.

You can't compare a presidential election with the ingame NS2 voting system. You can't hide a presidential election from the population and you can re-initiate a election every week until the result pleases you.

Then extend the time limit for the 1st vote after a map change so everyone can finish loading their game. OMFG!!!!! Did I solve the problem JUST LIKE THAT? Literally took me 5 seconds to come up with that solution but it probably took you 10 min to write that mini essay of yours.
    Then extend the time limit for the 1st vote after a map change so everyone can finish loading their game. OMFG!!!!! Did I solve the problem JUST LIKE THAT? Literally took me 5 seconds to come up with that solution but it probably took you 10 min to write that mini essay of yours.

Yes 5 seconds for the least important argument, which I only did for your election comparison.
    But the time limit isn't even the problem, the vote does not appear on your screen if you join while the vote is running. (And yes, this should be fixed separately)

And since I am not a native english speaker, I think the whole post took me a little longer then 10 minutes...

my main point though is, that it would not make such a difference as many non-rookies who not vote now, are silent "No" voters, which would vote "No" if they have to. (Rookies may don't see the vote at all, because they are still overwhelmed by the game, another abuse possibility Ironhorse stated in the other thread) It only would get annoying if you have to vote "No" every few minutes because of kick and reset votes.

I get frustrated too, if I have 3 AFKs in my team and don't get them kicked. But I don't think this problem should be fixed via a change in the voting rules, there are much better solutions for this problem. Like switching AFK people to the Ready Room and kicking them if the server is getting full. (no need to kick someone if there are still 4 free slots or so on the server)
    edited January 2014
    my main point though is, that it would not make such a difference as many non-rookies who not vote now, are silent "No" voters, which would vote "No" if they have to.

Don't give me that silent "no" voter bs. If something GAF enough to want to vote no, that thing would have pressed the F2 button during that 30 second stretch.
    my main point though is, that it would not make such a difference as many non-rookies who not vote now, are silent "No" voters, which would vote "No" if they have to.

Don't give me that silent "no" voter bs. If something GAF enough to want to vote no, that thing would have pressed the F2 button during that 30 second stretch.

I often enough don't vote "No" because my not-vote is a "No". So no Bullshit here.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow

/lmfao
    Since when those the USA have direct elections? American voting system whoop-de-do!

I like how @amb keeps persisting that the only reason votes don't occur are because people don't care

Not that they view non voting as a no already, or that they may be rookies who don't even see it.
    I am beginning to think he just wants to be able to change the map whenever he wants to with his vote being the only one casted, regardless of consequences to the rest of the game for everyone else. Why else would he continue to dismiss these points and carry on?

Also do you have to be a douche to everyone who responds to you? Are you really incapable of civil discourse? or do you have to attempt to ridicule and curse at every person
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    I propose the HL AMX Mod way of doing it for votes that has inpact on everyone (like mapchange): A "Yes" vote needs to reach a certain amount. "No" vote does not exist. Fancy would be hat the desired amount can be settable by admins.
    e.g.:
    yes_votes >= round_down( (#players_on_server) / 2 )

And yes thats different how it currently is.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I propose the HL AMX Mod way of doing it for votes that has inpact on everyone (like mapchange): A "Yes" vote needs to reach a certain amount. "No" vote does not exist. Fancy would be hat the desired amount can be settable by admins.
    e.g.:

how is this different to the current system? (besides that yes_votes variable? (which may exist in some form in NS2 too, as all lua code theoretically can be changed by an admin ))
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The vote not appearing because you loaded in after it was called is a separate issue entirely.

but one that must be addressed.

_INTER_ wrote: »
    e.g.:

as I proposed, simple majority. I'd just go with most votes fo next map votes though, majority for map.changes though.