Should not voting be counted as a no vote

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
This thread describes the controversy pretty well http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133806/vote-kick-should-be-for-team-only
Read my comment for proposed changes. Not exactly those, but something like this. Something to obviously fail the 3:1 5:1 votes but not 10:1 or 8:1 votes for a new map. As this is specifically where the problem is of people going AFK during map vote leaving half the server to vote yes, which fails very often.

Comments

• Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    Votes are nigh impossible in a pub game to pass and are a useless feature when a lack of a vote counts as a nay. It definitely shouldn't be counted.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    You didn't know you can make polls? Click the arrow next to "NEW DISCUSSION"
    6UZ7F3e.png :-B
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    *GASP*
    This must've been from the revamp of the forums.. we used to beg for this feature.
    God help us all..

*Goes off to spam polls*
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nope, it's always been there!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    polls polls polls.
    Should IronHorse make a poll about polls. :-)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid, FYI, on the official servers votes are hard to pass, but on the non-official servers it is actually fairly easy. I have had many incidences where I type a reason for the vote, eg. "person afk" for kickvote or comm left after 2 min "for game reset", and believe it or not people pass this vote. Though like I said, they are generally non-official servers where I am playing with a bunch of regulars.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    No.. no it hasn't.
    *looks at your join date* /:)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I voted for the second option but only under the assumtion that there is a minimal amount of votes. Like 1/3 of the server needs to vote. So that 2-3 people can't vote for something in a moment where for somebody nobody pays attention to voting (1/3 is a random value i feel is about right)
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hm, I activly use the "not vote" to vote "no" in votes mid-game. Because I don't have to stop playing to vote (I have the vote options binded to page up/down, because F1/2 are binded otherwise since before the votesystem.) And there are often stupid Kickvotes (not the afk ones) or reset votes mid-game.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kicking AFK players needs to be easier without the need for an admin or additional plugins. Especially if several are sitting in the ready room, or worse, on your IP, they take up too many of those "no" without "no"-ing votes.
    Zavaro wrote: »
    Kicking AFK players needs to be easier without the need for an admin or additional plugins. Especially if several are sitting in the ready room, or worse, on your IP, they take up too many of those "no" without "no"-ing votes.

there should be a built-in auto afk kick. then there is no need to kick them manually.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    There is a auto afk setting. But some servers deactivate it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    B3rT wrote: »
    Hm, I activly use the "not vote" to vote "no" in votes mid-game. Because I don't have to stop playing to vote (I have the vote options binded to page up/down, because F1/2 are binded otherwise since before the votesystem.) And there are often stupid Kickvotes (not the afk ones) or reset votes mid-game.
    In the ~30s to have to vote you can't press a single key?
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Count not voting as a fraction of a no vote.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    In the ~30s to have to vote you can't press a single key?

Of course I can. (And I do, more often than not) But why should I participate if there is another vote spam? Or ridiculous reset votes. I am happy that i can ignore such votes. And It would nothing change if I couldn't. Because then I would vote "no".

I think that failing afk kick votes are annoying, too. But I don't think changing the voteing system would be a good solution.

An auto afk kick and splitting spectator and player slots would be a much more elegant solution.
    Asraniel wrote: »
    There is a auto afk setting. But some servers deactivate it.
    There is no afk kick on official servers. So i am pretty sure that's a mod.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I accidentally chose the top one before reading the bottom one because you worded it...sub-optimally and because I was lazy. I meant the second one!

Its not a mod. If its deactivated on the official servers, then i dont know why. But what i know is that its not a mod but a standard feature.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Didn't voted because as i have some other issues with the vanilla vote system i disabled it and don't really care. But a "none vote" should be count as "none vote" and shouldn't be counted for totalvotes.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    Also finding myself unable to vote because it's really a yes or no question, my problem with votes is in the fineprint, the details.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2178241/#Comment_2178241
    And as for afk kicks. it's not disabled
    It's Broken, and hasn't been working for a while now.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Only if its teambased, most votekicks are from jealous players on opposite team accusing cheat.
    Asraniel wrote: »

Its not a mod. If its deactivated on the official servers, then i dont know why. But what i know is that its not a mod but a standard feature.

Okay, then this should turned on by default... don't see a reason to turn it off at all. As long as it don't kick in the prematch, i hate when this happens (especially as commander ;))
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Maybe make it dependent on the type of vote? If it's a votekick, I can see the reason for having the non-voters count as no-votes to prevent easy trolling, especially if Amb's proposal (good idea imo) would be followed up on. If it's a mapvote however, it makes more sense to not have non-voters count as no-votes, and thus not have a mapvote fail because some people don't really care either way.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do all the forum members that do not vote here count as a vote for option 1) ?
    /:)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Whoa, long time since I've seen a poll.
    Yes the NS2 vote system needs changing!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    IronHorse wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    No.. no it hasn't.
    *looks at your join date* /:)
    I do believe them polls were polling in the land before time confused.gif Maybe I should start a poll about that...
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    New players tend to not vote unless really paying attention to the game and listening to vets telling them how to. Definitely, like option number 2.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem with option 2 is that it could be abused. If it is changed, I would like to see a var in the server config to use one or the other.