Peak oil is here, it will break economies

KamamuraKamamura Members, Reinforced - Gold Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Posts: 669 Advanced user
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/dec/23/british-petroleum-geologist-peak-oil-break-economy-recession

Note how sober geologist paint quite a different picture than economists, who often cannot even grasp the basics of the problem.
Each day, hundreds of enthusiastic new players rush to join the ranks of the TSF to protect the universe, our beloved and the values of our society from the alien menace.

Glory to the TSF! Glory to Arstotzka ! Glory to the mods!

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! AustraliaMembers, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Posts: 2,130 mod
    america in particular is going to go broke.
    Send me a private message if you need me to kill someone "help" with anything.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin.

Youtube Channel for Sydney Music
  • KamamuraKamamura Members, Reinforced - Gold Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Posts: 669 Advanced user
    It's true that American per-capita oil consumption is quite high, but on the other hand, it's a huge and rich land with relatively low population density that is not so devastated by centuries of agricultural production as Europe and Asia is. I think despite the drop in living standards, America will do quite well in the end, unlike us poor sods here in Europe, and especially those densely populated areas in Asia.
    Each day, hundreds of enthusiastic new players rush to join the ranks of the TSF to protect the universe, our beloved and the values of our society from the alien menace.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert TexasMembers, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Posts: 2,829 admin
    People complain about high oil prices, then turn right around and do everything in their power to make it difficult for oil companies to produce. Just look at all the anti-fracking BS that's circulating, all because some jackass decided he'd put gas in his tap, light it on fire, film it, and sue an oil company.
  • KamamuraKamamura Members, Reinforced - Gold Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Posts: 669 Advanced user
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    People complain about high oil prices, then turn right around and do everything in their power to make it difficult for oil companies to produce. Just look at all the anti-fracking BS that's circulating, all because some jackass decided he'd put gas in his tap, light it on fire, film it, and sue an oil company.

Anti-fracking initiatives are absolutely correct and worthy of support, because fracking provides only a short term alleviation of the problem at a terrible environmental costs.

Shale gas rig productivity declines sharply after the initial production surge, so to sustain rates, you must drill new and new holes. It's logical - you break shale formations, the gas gets out, and that's it. It's not a huge presurized reservoir like oil deposits where you can draw from decades.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2013/04/03/shale-oil-and-natural-gas-whose-bubble-is-really-about-to-burst/
    http://srsroccoreport.com/must-read-the-bursting-of-the-shale-gas-bubble/must-read-the-bursting-of-the-shale-gas-bubble/

Just because IEA for political reasons renamed a lot of things that previously were not oil to oil does not mean they are oil.

Shale gas is not oil.
    Tar sands are not oil.
    Liquified gases are not oil.

• CCTEECCTEE Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Posts: 772 Advanced user
    " grim future of 'recession' driven 'resource wars' "

WTF 'future', that's nothing new lol.
    grrrr im beast
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! AustraliaMembers, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Posts: 2,130 mod
    When all the oil goes, will we able to go to war? Or will e use up all our already limited supplies on going to war? It's going to be silly.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin.

I suppose the battle for the last barrel could be quite spectacular.

You should play a game called oil rush. :)

I did play it, I was impressed by the engine, though the game itself was rather simplistic.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Posts: 4,269 Advanced user
    This thread gives me an idea for a game....

Actually it gives me many ideas for games....
    Games:Subnautica Fan Game Mods: GorgeCraft & CTF & Proving Grounds Website: andysoulrider.uk
    Twitter: @AndySoulRider Twitch: Twitch.tv/SoulRider YouTube: Youtube.com/user/IamSoulRider/videos

Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Knowledge is gained through listening, Understanding is gained through discussion.