Peak oil is here, it will break economies

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/dec/23/british-petroleum-geologist-peak-oil-break-economy-recession

Note how sober geologist paint quite a different picture than economists, who often cannot even grasp the basics of the problem.

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    america in particular is going to go broke.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It's true that American per-capita oil consumption is quite high, but on the other hand, it's a huge and rich land with relatively low population density that is not so devastated by centuries of agricultural production as Europe and Asia is. I think despite the drop in living standards, America will do quite well in the end, unlike us poor sods here in Europe, and especially those densely populated areas in Asia.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    People complain about high oil prices, then turn right around and do everything in their power to make it difficult for oil companies to produce. Just look at all the anti-fracking BS that's circulating, all because some jackass decided he'd put gas in his tap, light it on fire, film it, and sue an oil company.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    People complain about high oil prices, then turn right around and do everything in their power to make it difficult for oil companies to produce. Just look at all the anti-fracking BS that's circulating, all because some jackass decided he'd put gas in his tap, light it on fire, film it, and sue an oil company.

Anti-fracking initiatives are absolutely correct and worthy of support, because fracking provides only a short term alleviation of the problem at a terrible environmental costs.

Shale gas rig productivity declines sharply after the initial production surge, so to sustain rates, you must drill new and new holes. It's logical - you break shale formations, the gas gets out, and that's it. It's not a huge presurized reservoir like oil deposits where you can draw from decades.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2013/04/03/shale-oil-and-natural-gas-whose-bubble-is-really-about-to-burst/
    http://srsroccoreport.com/must-read-the-bursting-of-the-shale-gas-bubble/must-read-the-bursting-of-the-shale-gas-bubble/

Just because IEA for political reasons renamed a lot of things that previously were not oil to oil does not mean they are oil.

Shale gas is not oil.
    Tar sands are not oil.
    Liquified gases are not oil.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    " grim future of 'recession' driven 'resource wars' "

WTF 'future', that's nothing new lol.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    When all the oil goes, will we able to go to war? Or will e use up all our already limited supplies on going to war? It's going to be silly.
    I suppose the battle for the last barrel could be quite spectacular.
    You should play a game called oil rush. :)
    I did play it, I was impressed by the engine, though the game itself was rather simplistic.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This thread gives me an idea for a game....

Actually it gives me many ideas for games....