What happened (panic)?

Comments

• KasperKasper Join Date: 2013-12-14 Member: 190062Members, Super Administrators, Vanilla
    edited December 2013
    Seems like the forum software got updated and somehow the forum layout broke.

Any chance to get the old overview back? @comprox

Also sticky posts are not at the top anymore.

The old overview is now used as an optional "Hub" option and is what you see at http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories/sub. It should be brought back to the NS2 forums as well soon.
    So currently, the agree/awesome/etc badges beneath the posts are fucked up, and when I scroll to the right, It always switches back to the left. Oh, and when I scroll all down, it randomly snaps up, too. The answer-form seems also to be broken somehow.

The Reactions have been fixed in the next build. What's this scrolling issue you mention? There's nothing in the code that affects scrolling so you've got me wondering.
    Also that the width of posts is not fixed annoys me, just look at this thread.

The width was never actually fixed: It was full-width with a 100px gutter on each side. I changed that a to be percentage based so there's now a 10% gutter on each side instead. Hope this clears things up!
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I thought that was only part of the job requirements for sailors :>

Mechanics, sailors, and programmers alike! Swearing is to be expected when dealing with either :)
  • KasperKasper Join Date: 2013-12-14 Member: 190062Members, Super Administrators, Vanilla
    Blimey, the upper pagination is trying to crawl out of the page! That's a paddlin'
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also it appears the image-resizer is broken so large images cause the forum pages to stretch out pretty bad. (As seen on the 1st page.)
    Also it appears the image-resizer is broken so large images cause the forum pages to stretch out pretty bad. (As seen on the 1st page.)

I'll back up the JS image resizer with some CSS in that case. It's working just fine on my end though.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion is where it's at!

Also why is the live version being poked and prodded with sticks :-O
    edited December 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Also why is the live version being poked and prodded with sticks :-O

Real men, uhm, developers don't use staging setups for software releases! In all honesty, things started moving a little too fast for comfort yesterday (my own fault) so a bunch of really annoying bugs crept their way into the forums. We had to patch them up right away, but will be moving back to doing intermediate releases on a staging site once everything's fixed up.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    skOMJT5.png

Here's how it looks like on my end. (Using Firefox)

Posting that caused the page to stretch here too.
    edited December 2013
    I see the issue now, working on a fix. Firefox doesn't like mixing tables and large images :P

EDIT: Found a fix. Both Firefox's and Opera's table specs are really, really old-school.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Old school is best school.
    Ah, it works now. Thanks!
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Old school is best school.

Under normal circumstances I'd totally agree with you, but in this case "old-school" means "outdated and annoying". Opera luckily went the WebKit way in recent versions, but Firefox is still stuck with Gecko's rather dated specs. It's awesome in some ways and really cumbersome in others - no "best of both worlds" I'm afraid! The whole browser vs. browser thing is a nasty topic though, so I'll stick to patching the inconsistencies in between.
    Ah, it works now. Thanks!

You're most certainly welcome and thanks heaps for the making me aware of the issue in the first place!
    Also, fixes for the comment editing and profile menu dropdowns are rolling out soon
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kasper wrote: »
    So currently, the agree/awesome/etc badges beneath the posts are fucked up, and when I scroll to the right, It always switches back to the left. Oh, and when I scroll all down, it randomly snaps up, too. The answer-form seems also to be broken somehow.

The Reactions have been fixed in the next build. What's this scrolling issue you mention? There's nothing in the code that affects scrolling so you've got me wondering.

Doesn't occur any longer as they page doesn't stretch anymore from big pictures.
    Btw, the "Leave a comment" text and the page buttons at the right don't line up with the background.

I have to admit, I'm using Opera 12. Shame on me.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So eta on this being fixed?
    jDGao2m.png

What needs fixing? The darker backgrounds indicate discussions that you've already read and/or an announcement.
    Btw, the "Leave a comment" text and the page buttons at the right don't line up with the background.

I can verify that this isn't an issue in Opera 16, the latest stable version. Have you got a screenshot?

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013

I can verify that this isn't an issue in Opera 16, the latest stable version. Have you got a screenshot?

Running Firefox 26.0.

kyiWuh7.png

Also, why is the main page (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/) showing 2 forums deep? It's showing sub forums like Off Topic, but also sub-sub forums like Natural Selection Organized Play.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Comprox wrote: »

Running Firefox 26.0.

kyiWuh7.png

Also, why is the main page (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/) showing 2 forums deep? It's showing sub forums like Off Topic, but also sub-sub forums like Natural Selection Organized Play.

Yeah, exactly this.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    More bugs:

If you click on my name on the left here (to see my profile) it is opening my profile but also opening a 2nd tab with the Reinforcement webpage (http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/). For me, this appears to happen when I am clicking on any profile that has a "Reinforced Badge" on it. Now, I talked to a few other people and it is behaving a bit differently for them. One person reported 0 issues. One reported it only occurred when he clicked on his own profile. And one had it broken like I did.

Also, it would NOT open the 2nd tab, if I right clicked on my name and chose "Open in a new tab". This would only open my profile in a new tab and nothing else.
    edited December 2013
    @Comprox, @F0rdPrefect: I've located the issue and will include a fix in the next build. Thanks for the report!

This is a setting in the dashboard so I'm thinking whoever did the category restructure decided to show 3 levels of categories.

If you click on my name on the left here (to see my profile) it is opening my profile but also opening a 2nd tab with the Reinforcement webpage (http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/). For me, this appears to happen when I am clicking on any profile that has a "Reinforced Badge" on it. Now, I talked to a few other people and it is behaving a bit differently for them. One person reported 0 issues. One reported it only occurred when he clicked on his own profile. And one had it broken like I did.

Also, it would NOT open the 2nd tab, if I right clicked on my name and chose "Open in a new tab". This would only open my profile in a new tab and nothing else.

This is a leftover from v1.0 where if you click on someone with a "Reinforced" badge, it will take you to the info site. I'm not quite sure how the implementation was supposed to work exactly, so I simply left the code in there and didn't touch it. It's all JS, hence the rather unpredictable nature.

What needs fixing? The darker backgrounds indicate discussions that you've already read and/or an announcement.

Um...ok. It just looked so bad I thought it was bugged. Why are stickies the same colour as read threads?

Also the quote disagree agree awesome area still looks odd, but now I'm going to assume this is an intended change. Also I'm experiencing the same thing @Comprox is with FF.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The UWE forums and website are currently undergoing some serious re-wiring. Behind the scenes, Lukas is ripping out the guts of both to reconfigure them to better support some future UWE plans. You can expect the whole situation to be a bit of a poo fight for the next few weeks - Keep posting up problems so we can get on them!
    Good to know it's still being worked on actively.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Ripping out guts might be a bad idea. I'm not a doctor but you need those.
    To be more clear on my post above, there is no clear difference between stickies and normal threads. They DO say "Webbed" (what is "webbed" anyway and how is it different to stickied), but if I'm just looking down the page it's not easy to pick which is the first non stickied thread. Before they were separate colours which made it easy. I believe stickies were light grey but other threads were much darker, or even darker still if read.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    shriike wrote: »
    Ripping out guts might be a bad idea. I'm not a doctor but you need those.

Organs are for pussies
    The current category system makes it hard to see when a new post appeared in certain sections.
    edited December 2013
    Line for test purposes.
    The current category system makes it hard to see when a new post appeared in certain sections.

Just do as I do!
    CZFfjwE.png

Right click, refresh all, ctrl+tab(x5).

EDIT: @Kasper It'd be real nice if there was some consistency between return spaces above and below quotes/spoilers. As you can see in this post I have one return space between each line, yet underneath seems to get a space by default :|
    edited December 2013
    Another small graphic issue on the Subnautica forums.

UZwrONg.png

The blue bar covering it is where the topic title is.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    BTW why can i attach files here but not in the ns2 tech support, is there any reason you locked the feature there?
    It's easier to see the already read threads in the SN forums, with all the blue and stuff. The greyish-brown in NS makes it hard to distinguish, though.