Testing the Waters: the Oculus Rift

ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
Some pretext: This is entirely unsupported by Unknown Worlds. Software used could possibly damage your computer or get you banned from by VAC. I also swear a lot.

I had been drinking. Drinking always gets the ideas flowing, and I had one too many shots in a pub following our match vs. Mimic (gg guys). Running on a miniscule three hours of sleep and several long hours of work, I managed to convince myself that some friends would like to see me stream the game using the Oculus Rift. I had run a demo briefly a few weeks back, and that really put the awe in nausea. It was great, although a little difficult to aim.

I streamed it. First it was a couple friends, and within thirty I had 35 people watching for nearly two hours. Not a hint of nausea, no headache. Wonderful. I played like crap, but received questions, comments, and a few requests to link it on the forums. It was saved, but not the quality I wanted. I needed to have a second take.

Tonight I traveled to Tram, Refinery, and Summit on Gib's Gorge Hut donning the unwieldy mask. This is that take.
NOTE: I swear like a sailor, so if your boss doesn't like it, why the hell are you on the NS2 forums at work?!

The first five minutes are me troubleshooting, so, feel free to skip that. Streaming with the Rift can have some weird bugs.

Some things to consider:
The Rift has a maximum resolution of 1280x800, with a low pixel density. It looks really clear, though.
There is no noticeable performance hit from using it on my "all-low with AA" settings.
The software I utilized is called Tri-Def Ignition and it using a generic game profile.
Unfortunately, I can't exit out of Steam Overlay if it ever becomes opened, and sometimes the vision zooms in for short periods.
Headtracking works, and works astoundingly well.
I say "dude" a lot when I'm drinking.
Viewmodels do not work well, and anything beyond the middle 50% area of the screen is not technically not visible to me, that includes health, ammo, map, kills, etc.
The game would work a lot better with the rift if the crosshair was not locked to the center of the screen (like TF2 on the Rift), or aiming in Red Orchestra.

You still have yours, right UWE? Try it out. It's a blast.

Comments

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Was a weird thing to wake up to, Decoy spamming prolly everyone on steam to check it out. I dare you to play scrims with it. :D
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    I'm honestly tempted to try it out during one. It would definitely be faster than a pub, but honestly, I think I need to work on my aim with it first. Probably my aim in general. That said, I was not expecting anybody to really advertise the stream. I typically only stream Half-Life mods, NS2 pubs, and Early Access games.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    edited December 2013
    I played NS2 with Oculus Rift, too a week or 2 back. I use Vorpx and I just launched NS2 without any tweaking and it looked great. It was a nice surprise, since I didn't have any intention of playing NS2 with Oculus, but I forgot the Vorpx software on!
    Since my head turning mimicked mouse movements I felt like I could track jumping marines okayish. I just looked at the direction where the marine disappeared and there he was again.
    I was worried that I would feel ill if I played lerk with oculus, but it turned out to be great fun. Too bad that I couldn't see my hp/armor or energy. There's a button that let's you see whole screen, but you can't really use that in the middle of a fight. Still, I somehow managed to stay alive and even get some kills. Flying is the way it's meant to be played!
    I stopped using oculus after one 30 minute match since moving view both with mouse and by turning head messed with my brain a bit. I didn't feel nauseous. Just a little bit...weird. It took maybe 10-15 mins until I felt normal again.
    I should try VR NS2 again, soon...
    PS: VR Onos is huuuuuuge. And so is gorge, if you play a skulk :o
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    lawl. Funny you happen to capture the pulse grenade mayhem.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did the screen look relatively normal to you? In the stream it looked weird for obvious reason. Have you tried playing with different FOV's?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    In the server he said he couldn't see the deaths so I assume what we see FOV wise is what he saw.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Ots wrote: »
    Was a weird thing to wake up to, Decoy spamming prolly everyone on steam to check it out. I dare you to play scrims with it. :D
    Decoy Plz.
    Anyawy,
    HOLY AHASASBSAOJ NASONG OCCULUS RIFT ERMAGHERD!
    well, this begs the question, eta proper oculus support?!
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Oh wow I didn't realise NS2 was supported or I would have tried it ages ago!! BRB hunting dinos in VR...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I can't wait for the consumer version of the oculus rift, I'd use it for nearly everything.

It must get disorienting playing as a lerk though.
    MattTheLerk.jpg
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, the consumer version is going to be a fair bit nicer, there was a 1080p version demonstrated not too long ago for instance. I assume they've only further dropped the latency, so motion sickness is unlikely to be a real problem for the few that complained about that with the old dev kits.

Edit: @IeptBarakat: A true work of art.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    Did the screen look relatively normal to you? In the stream it looked weird for obvious reason. Have you tried playing with different FOV's?

The screen is not fisheye for person wearing the device. It's focused through a lens to create the illusion of having a complete field of view, unfortunately, the HUD gets pushed to the corners, which are beyond my peripheral vision.
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    eta proper oculus support?!

I'm curious on this as well. Even with third-party drivers, it works very well. Polish a little bit, release some support, and it will stir up the starved Oculus community as well as the press: more customers and more money.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Actually, Oculus lerking isn't disorienting at all. Only problem is smaller fov. There's no Vorpx support for NS2, but it worked anyway :P
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's kinda cool. I'll be sticking with a single monitor for gaming forever though I think. Because that's how games are MEANT to be played :P
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    james888 wrote: »

The stream looks fine if you mash your nose to your pc screen.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    *jumps up and down* Oculus rift oculus rift oculus rift...!

I've been rooting for it since day 1 and if they pull it off right it's gonna hit the gaming scene like a MEGATON OF SUPER MEGA HEAVY BRICKS!

Oooooooooooh, how BORED I am watching a square freakin' window. It's ABOUT TIME for this.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It might become interesting when the panels are 4K 120hz at least, but it's a cool proof of concept for sure.
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    I will be getting a consumer version of the oculus rift when it comes out. It would be neat if NS2 added proper oculus support before then. :-D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    It might become interesting when the panels are 4K 120hz at least, but it's a cool proof of concept for sure.
    4k 120hz! I doubt we need them to be 4k for the pixels to not be visible, or as apple says it a retina display. 4k@120hz on two eyes would make even next gen gpu's cry for their momma. That is years to come.

• tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm surprised vorpx magically supports NS2, considering no one has been able to make vireio work with it as far as I can tell...
    That is years to come.
    Only a few years, though! It's gonna be good!!!