Spark 2.0

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
First and foremost, A 6th thread!!!!

The reason I put this in this forums is because it is in the secret twitter handle so shall place it in the secret forums. Anyways...
BZDd5XuCAAASTqe.jpg

Frostbite 4 + Crysis 3 + Unity 3d = Spark 2.0

I don't know the technical stuff at all. I know frostbite and crisis engines look awesome. Unity is pretty very multiplatform and low requirements. So may I ask what are the goals of spark 2.0? What generally are you wishing to reproduce from frostbite and crisis?

So I am wild guessing Max and Dushan are working on improving the spark engine for whatever comes after Subnautica. Frostbite 4 and crisis 3 engines to me are some of the best out there so to bring spark onto their level sounds impressive. In the hands of the best indie team anything is possible.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I believe that's just a joke. Those are regarded as some of the best game engines out there, cryengine and (IMO to a lesser extent) frostbite for graphics, and unity for platform agnostic-ness... (may be wrong about that one).

Spark is great, but it's a looonngg way off of being THAT good.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I believe that's just a joke. Those are regarded as some of the best game engines out there, cryengine and (IMO to a lesser extent) frostbite for graphics, and unity for platform agnostic-ness... (may be wrong about that one).

That's why I made this thread. If it is a joke I completely fell for it. Looking at the rest of the picture which I did not before I see it might be a joke. Jokes on me.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

That's why I made this thread. If it is a joke I completely fell for it. Looking at the rest of the picture which I did not before I see it might be a joke. Jokes on me.

Haha yea. I just found a tweet in there that mentions this game will be made with unity 3d, not spark, but that spark development will continue for *other* products...
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WHAT!? YOU MEAN MY 24/7 FACEBOOK INTEGRATION IS A LIE!?!?!?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I only hope for a better editor. Once the editor is quite good. The rest follow so fast that it just feels like a breeze.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Click disagree if you are a copper nanotube
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I want to see that left mouse button. Sounds like some serious shit.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Well Cryengine usually is about as optimized as spark soooo could make sense. loool
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am pretty sure that they have said they are going to be using unity. Especially as it has been made free to Indie developers who are working on games for Xbox One.
    edited November 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    Well Cryengine usually is about as optimized as spark soooo could make sense. loool

But but... GRAPHICS!!!! (But seriously... have you guys SEEN Crysis 3 at max settings??? SO GORGEOUS!)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    Cryengine is an incredibly optimized and scaling engine. There are other graphics options than just "very high."

Crysis 3 runs at like 30fps 720p on integrated @ low settings whilst still looking better than almost every other game.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you're not going with spark bc of platform compatibiliy? Any official statement? Would have loved to see spark pushed further.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    As you can tell from the white board above, Spark & NS2 are still in development.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yes, Spark is still being improved and worked on. But for Subnautica, we are using Unity for a variety of reasons, including platform compatibility.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    As has been pointed out by other users, the white board is a silly troll post. SN development is, as @SteveRock says, using Unity3D.

The use of Unity3D for SN will have no effect on continued development of Spark, and that development continues.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Dammit. I had high hopes about blowing up the sniping sharks with C4 I throw out of my helicopter while communicating via VOIP with my squad, and then post it on facebook and instagramm with my left mouse button.

Does that mean I won't get to see Beethoven kill the Beatles with a sword?

Not going to buy this.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Can you tell everyone's been playing a lot of battlefield lately?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I am discouraged by lack of direct Twitter interface planned for Spark 2.0.

How am I supposed to tell everyone where I'm at and who I'm going to blow up with my Helicopter made out of C4!?!?!?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Benson wrote: »
    I am discouraged by lack of direct Twitter interface planned for Spark 2.0.

How am I supposed to tell everyone where I'm at and who I'm going to blow up with my Helicopter made out of C4!?!?!?
    Fear not. I think there are plans to remove text and voice chat and replace them with tweeting. It's the new Multi-Platform Communication system. Shiny eh?

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Yes, Spark is still being improved and worked on. But for Subnautica, we are using Unity for a variety of reasons, including platform compatibility.

Does this mean it's going to be on Mobile too?
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    I'm really happy you guys are using Unity. I think Natural Selection 2 was hard for everybody, trying to optimise a custom built engine and design a game at the same time. Unity is very robust and you guys can fully focus on the game this time around. Exciting stuff! good luck!
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    Ok, so Subnautica is using Unity3D. Fair enough. But will all of UWE's resources tied up either in Subnautica or NS2, I'm not really sure what to think of this tweet from about a month ago:
    Unknown Worlds @UWEDev
    @SethCorners @NS2 Yes, Spark is being actively worked on and is central to our future plans

Maybe those future plans have changed in the last few weeks? Or there is something else in the pipeline?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Solaris wrote: »
    Ok, so Subnautica is using Unity3D. Fair enough. But will all of UWE's resources tied up either in Subnautica or NS2, I'm not really sure what to think of this tweet from about a month ago:
    Unknown Worlds @UWEDev
    @SethCorners @NS2 Yes, Spark is being actively worked on and is central to our future plans

Maybe those future plans have changed in the last few weeks? Or there is something else in the pipeline?
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Delphic wrote: »
    Can you confirm you're still planning to use the Spark Engine?

The environs seems quite different to NS2 is all, and I know I saw Unity3D in that YouTube somewhere... probably just prototyping...

Subnautica is running on Unity 4. Spark is still in active development by Max, Dushan and Brian.

From what I understand, UWE has split into two teams, one works on Subnautica, the other continues work on the spark engine/NS2 Balance/maps
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Guess there's probably going to be less opportunity for the community to help out with coding fixes / tweaks during development it's going on Unity3D... Shame because I can actually do C#.

Unity3D is a great choice I think, and the logical choice (and I'm sure they've got the skills to do any necessary performance dependent work in C++ and link it up, and C# is probably faster than LUA, velly nice).

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited December 2013
    Delphic wrote: »
    Guess there's probably going to be less opportunity for the community to help out with coding fixes / tweaks during development it's going on Unity3D... Shame because I can actually do C#.

Unity3D is a great choice I think, and the logical choice (and I'm sure they've got the skills to do any necessary performance dependent work in C++ and link it up, and C# is probably faster than LUA, velly nice).

Hmm good point. when we start thinking about modding, we'll try to make our game code available. No time to worry about this now though. But feel free to pass on ideas if you see other unity games doing interesting stuff, like KSP.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Unity is used for that new game rust, however the network library it's using seems to be exploitable!