Most stable server application ever.

Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Servers: 4x
Uptime (BOX): 9 days
Ns2 server crashes since: 71 and counting

Comments

• xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Is there some way to report all those crashes or does it do that automatically? I'm sure it would help the devs.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    What mods are you running. With just DAK I normally will only see a crash like once a week.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    No mods on my box and I get one crash per week too... two in a heavy week. I have an application that reboots the Ns2 server in less than a minute if it does crash. Servers back up approx 40 seconds after crash.

I only run one server on the box at a time though... maybe that is the key.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    It likely is crashing due to out of memory, I have seen empty server instances using 1.2GB of ram after being on for a few days...
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    i used to set the nsl servers on auto restart every 6 hours and even with that they sometimes crashed :(
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    What kind of script would you make on Linux to check if the server crashed?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Things I suspect are happening:

1) Mods on server causing crashes (likely)

2) Not enough memory allocated per server

Things to try:

Disable mods for a while, try vanilla.

Memory issues are being worked on by Dushan & max as we type.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zaggy wrote: »
    What kind of script would you make on Linux to check if the server crashed?

To see crashes:
    dmesg | grep server_linux32

And to count them
    dmesg | grep server_linux32 | wc -l

If you want to check whether it's down or up, you check either pids, or whether it has network reponsiveness.