32-Bit Crashes - What's going on!? - Natural Selection 2

1235»

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I remember back during beta the website had a nice progress tracker that kept track of build progress. Whatever happened to that?
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    tuxator wrote: »
    why would I use a 64bit operating system? You got a bunch of driver problems, especially in Windows 7 64bit (have to deal with that on a nearly daily basis, because customers think '64bit == better'). Also the game itself is only a 32bit program anyway, so it can't even use all of your shiny 16 GB overpriced memory.

The problem here is that a game uses such an amount of RAM without needing it. Seriously, take a look at openworld games or MMORPGs, you got a huge amount of models and items there and those games rarely take in more than 1.5 GB.

Ram is cheap and there are no driver problems.

I need to be nicer to other members of this forum.
  • zwozwo Join Date: 2003-05-05 Member: 16074Members
    I also use a 32 bit system with XP atm. Since the patch the game crashes everytime after 15 up to 45 minutes. I am a little bit angry about the game at the moment. Can´t play an afternoon without any crashes like a few month ago. Please get a patch asap to fix that. I want to get a new 64 bit system end of the year, but I have no understanding to buy a new PC right now because of a faulty patch or some new options. I would turn off the new models if I could, but there is no option.

I´ll hope there is a new patch soon... [-O<
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    tuxator wrote: »
    why would I use a 64bit operating system? You got a bunch of driver problems, especially in Windows 7 64bit (have to deal with that on a nearly daily basis, because customers think '64bit == better'). Also the game itself is only a 32bit program anyway, so it can't even use all of your shiny 16 GB overpriced memory.

The problem here is that a game uses such an amount of RAM without needing it. Seriously, take a look at openworld games or MMORPGs, you got a huge amount of models and items there and those games rarely take in more than 1.5 GB.

uhm, yeah...how about you read and at least try to understand what I wrote?

I'm not even speaking about the 64bit situation on Linux...

Also who are you to judge who should and should not be allowed on the internet? Maybe you should try and learn to understand what an opinion is. Also on 64bit systems you've to fight with the exact same problems when it comes to NS2. The game is not a 64bit process, which means it can't even use your shiny 16GB of RAM.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This post makes me remember my study time. Internal, external, first-fit, buddy-system and so on comes to mind. Never knew it has some impact nowadays too. xD
    I'm really interested on the algorithm you're using now and what you wan't to do to fix this issue (technical aspect).