Rank questions...

2»

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I appreciate the devotion to this topic. But people should not forget that we are talking about a ranking system for a game here. Some security-measures are needed, but we don't need to go fully retard and make it fort onox.

If you are so dedicated to "cheat" yourself up to the top score, the coming skill-balance system will always place all the newbs in your team. In order to weigh out the high skill of yourself, it needs to place all the other people with moderate skill on the opposite team of yours.

Cheating the hive system will lead you to a bunch of shitty matches. Maybe you will never be able to have fun on servers that constantly use the "balance teams by skill" feature.

I think the current "security system" is good enought. In fact only "trusted" server seems to be added to hive. Therefore AceDude unlocks every server by himself. So if you trust in his skills you also can trust into the vanilla skills system!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just wondering if this will be an opt-in system? I absolutely don't want to stop people who do want to see their stats from seeing their stats, but please consider by default not showing stats to players unless they specifically opt in to see them.

And by this I do not mean 'just don't visit the webpage.'

There may be people who don't understand why I ask for this, and to those people I just say: if there's an opt in system it makes no difference to you one way or the other. But I know that I am not alone in the world in NOT wanting my stats to be available. This is not because I care what other people think of me, it's because I know from experience that I alter the way I play if I know that I can access my stats somewhere. I know several other people who feel the same way about game stats, so while I'm sure I am in a minority, please realise that it does make a difference to some of us out there (while an opt-in system makes very little difference to those players who DO want to see their stats, as it's a one-time click to accept thing).

There is a way to opt out of NS2stats, which I have done (thanks to the guys there for helping me with this), though as this system is still being developed, I really wanted to get in early and ask if 'opt-in' could be implemented instead, as this is by far the most preferable method for those of us who don't want to see our own stats.

No problem with the stats being collected and used for the game - absolutely no problem. I just don't want to be able to find out the details of those stats on a webpage by default, if that's possible!

Roo
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    AceDude wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm comparing the server IP stored in the JSON data with the actual sender's IP. If it's different - it's an automatical, permanent ban for sender + I will take action to find such person.

This is something that can happen legitimately. For example, let's consider a machine with two active IP addresses:

eth0 10.9.9.1
    eth0:1 10.9.9.2

If I have a NS2 server running on 10.9.9.2 and you have some code that's sending packets (without explicitly binding to the 10.9.9.2 interface), all the packets would appear to be coming from the 10.9.9.1 IP (because this is the server's "main ip")

I'm not sure if you've accounted for this, but if you haven't you're going to flag every server with multiple IPs (basically every GSP + anyone renting an actual server).
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    fort onox

Somebody better start mapping, this awesome name needs an awesome map!

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Better NS2 already allows you to enable stats reporting with mods installed. :)

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2147143/#Comment_2147143