Mouse advice - Logitech G400s

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
Hello, I apologize on intruding here, since I am not a competitive player, but I thought some of you might provide an expert advice on gaming mice.

I am a long time happy user of MX518, but since started playing NS2 a lot, I noticed that the mouse moves wierdly sometimes, like someone is "correcting" my aim. Googling a bit, I have learned it's that dreadful angle snapping feature, and since in case of mx518 it's in the firmware of the mouse, it cannot be switched off.

In an attempt to upgrade, I bought the G400s as an obvious upgrade (same shape which I like a lot), and I have mixed feelings about it after unboxing. Great aim, it seems tighter than mx518 after setting polling to 1000Hz (though it might be placebo), weight is okay, but the problem is the middle button, it's a bit too resistant, tough to press, and the wheel has a kind of cheap feel to it, the click of the wheel being somewhat mushy and not discrete.

On the other hand, I have read that the mouse have an advantage of being optical, that laser mouses have lower sensitivity, G500 has input lag and so on... so, what is your advice?

Should I keep it (I can still return it free of charge), or is there a better option in the same price range?

Thank you for any advice on the matter.

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Never used either g400 series, but to be honest everyone I've talked to says g400 > g400s

laser mice just have tracking issues

g500 has some heavy positive acceleration

If your mousepad is ONE color (like all black) try out the zowie EC1 evo (big hands) or the zowie ec2 evo (small hands) afaik this mouse also has 1-2% positive acceleration, but some people say against it I had a colored mousepad which is apparently what gave it issues (which I don't believe) but you can feel free to test that. Pos accel shouldn't hurt at all in a game like ns2, it'd hurt you more in a game like counter-strike where you need to snap and 1 click a head

Or if you don't care about comfort (or use claw grip) you can pick up the deathadder 3.5g (or the 2013 edition which afaik interpolates a lot of dpi settings, but like defaults such as 400 aren't?) - not sure if that's correct, then this mouse has the *best* sensor on the market as of right now.. pretty silly that there's so many mice companies and none of them can make a better shape with the DA sensor
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I don't use the claw grip, I use a light finger grip with minimal wrist movements when playing, but I have fairly big hands, so the old mx518 shape suits me.

Unfortunately, g400 is no longer available here, olny g400s. Heard a lot of bad things about Razer hardware in general - overpriced trendy crap, etc.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    g400 and g400s are the same, the later one without the faulty cable.
    You prolly won't find anything better in term of tracking and fyi the zowie am fk ec1evo ec2evo, logitech g400 g400s, razer DA, roccat savu koneoptical, steelseries kanav2 all use the good avago 3090 optical sensor or derivatives from it.

The natural dpi steps (not interpolated) of the g400 are 800 and 1600 afaik.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    herakl3s wrote: »
    g400 and g400s are the same, the later one without the faulty cable.
    You prolly won't find anything better in term of tracking and fyi the zowie am fk ec1evo ec2evo, logitech g400 g400s, razer DA, roccat savu koneoptical, steelseries kanav2 all use the good avago 3090 optical sensor or derivatives from it.

The natural dpi steps (not interpolated) of the g400 are 800 and 1600 afaik.

Thank you kindly. I have already played a few rounds with it, and the middle mouse button and wheel do not seem such a great issue. The tracking is superb, and the feeling that someone is softly pushing my shotgun when tracking a fast moving skulk is gone - I guess the angle snapping was really the issue. So I will probably keep the mouse.
    yes you can turn off angle snapping in setpoint
    ezekel wrote: »

Even for MX 518? Did not find that option anywhere.

• herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't disable the prediction on it (mx518), it's in the chips firmware and it's not toggable.
    You can still be good with prediction though, anyway welcome to the g400 lover's club :>
    herakl3s wrote: »
    You can't disable the prediction on it (mx518), it's in the chips firmware and it's not toggable.
    You can still be good with prediction though, anyway welcome to the g400 lover's club :>

Well, I "love" everything except the wheel. That feels pretty terrible, mx518 was way better. The 1000Hz polling is a recognizable improvement, though.

• LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    Opinions on the logitech G500 mouse ? (All black mouse pad with manufacture-claim of being designed for laser mice)
    Ive read acouple of mouse threads on this site recently and it seems like everything BUT the G500 is being mentioned.
    LORFCASTER wrote: »
    Opinions on the logitech G500 mouse ? (All black mouse pad with manufacture-claim of being designed for laser mice)
    Ive read acouple of mouse threads on this site recently and it seems like everything BUT the G500 is being mentioned.

No personal experience, but from what I read, laser sensor, acceleration and a ceramic capacitor that emits a high-pitched noise.
    I would personally avoid the g500 and go for the g400s wich is in nearly everyway a better mouse for fps gaming and has somewhat the same shape.
    Lasers tend to be very surface picky because of their precision, for exemple dirty cloth mousepads making them skip etc...
    "Optical" is the way to go it seems, the most important feature of a mouse anyway is it's shape, if you go hardcore mode and play 4, 5 hours of fps in a go you need a mouse that suits your grip.
    Don't buy anything that costs more than 60$ish.
  • SeriousSimFRSeriousSimFR Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187504Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I'm using the G500 here on a wooden desk, really happy with it on any fps game, to be honest I had more issues with my celeritas than with this mouse.

(edit : the logitech driver is a bit crappy though, but it does the job.)
    LORFCASTER wrote: »

If you're looking to play any fps game seriously, I'd avoid the g500; however if you are accustomed to mouse accel (you're probably an ancient quake player then) then that's your choice, but I also think the shape of the mouse is not that great
    Kamamura wrote: »

Even for MX 518? Did not find that option anywhere.

I was referring to setpoint, never used an mx518 so it may just be inside of the sensor
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    I have a g700. Very good mouse but somewhat expensive.
  • ChucullinnChucullinn Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187848Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I have absolutely no problem with the g500 for FPS games, in fact I prefer it to my previous mouse, a razer deathadder.
    Chucullinn wrote: »
    I have absolutely no problem with the g500 for FPS games, in fact I prefer it to my previous mouse, a razer deathadder.

you prefer the shape
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Using a G700, i could understand it being pricey, but its got everything i wanted, fits my hand perfectly, and feels so responsive, precise, and smooth.
  • ChucullinnChucullinn Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187848Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Chucullinn wrote: »

you prefer the shape

I'm left handed, I was using a left handed deathadder before. It fit in my hand perfectly but I just much preferred using a g500 for FPS even if it didn't feel right ergonomically, since I change mouse sensitivity quite a lot during games and having 3 separate DPI levels that I could switch between on the fly was something I needed.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The g400. While having a very pleasing shape and weight is built on the lower quality scale. Can be had for $40? I think I paid for mine. The problem lies in the Achilles heal, the cord where it is supported by the housing. Quickly goes out and you are force to dissect it and swap for a "hopefully" new cord from a $10 Logitech. Luckily this Logitech ?a10? comes with a better mouse wheel. Wrap a little electrical tape ever so neatly around the area where it contacts the cable. This mouse loves having its skates taken off over and over, recovering well each time. If you replace them Logitech will void your warranty. Disassemble this mouse and a Logitech dual optical side by side and tell me this mouse has improved manufacturing/engineering integrity... Ten years and I'm still buying em up like hotcakes.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You're rolling the dice on a G400. My first has it's cord go faulty within a few months and resulted in constant micro connects/disconnects. On my second and its been fine so far.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Logitech mice never really worked for me, they seem to be built for small children hands (i am big man, with big hands (imagine russian accent) )

I love my razor imperator and i recommend it to everyone, it has great ergonomity.
  • UndeadfredUndeadfred Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187809Members
    edited September 2013
    Having the good fortune of being able to try many different mice over the years I'd be happy in recommending a mouse for you. Before any of that though, you need to be able to identify somethings about your mouse habits.

Most important is identifying your grip. Your grip can roughly be broken down into 3 types. Palm, Claw, and Figure tip. It's not unusual to alternate between 2 grips throughout a play session.

The next is to recognize the dpi and sensitivity you play at. The way I quantify it, is by the amount of inches it takes me to do a 360. For me it's 12 inches, making me a low dpi gamer (actually I play high dpi low sens).

You then want to see if you do the majority of your movement with the wrist or arm?

Size of hand?

Now do you like to play on a hard surface or mat?

The preferred weight of your mouse?

Last is the preferred glide (also chooses your pad)?

I'd also like to say the surface you play on is nearly as important as the mouse itself. If you're getting a mouse to become more concomitant then don't skip the pad.

Full disclosure I play claw, low dpi, mat, Largish hands with wide grip, heavy mouse, high glide.

My preferred mouse is the corsair m60.
    ps the sniper button is useless.
    Ad G400 - that one is no longer available, I have G400s that has the part of the cable next to mouse reinforced, so I guess that problem mended with this updated model.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited September 2013
    Bought a g400, scroll wheel broke within a year. Googled, LOTS of scroll wheel problem. Just warning you.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Please forgive the necro - but this question is actually very much related to this topic and seems to fit better here than in a new thread.

I am currently using a Logitech G400 at work, and for gaming at home I use a Logitech G5. My G5 is now getting on a bit and is disconnecting at random (cord issue, but to be fair it's done pretty well and put up with being transported a LOT lately).

The G400 is lovely for tracking, but it is too small. I have big hands and prefer a *large* mouse if I can find one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mouse (preferably with the G400s sensor!) that is bigger than the Logitech G400(s)?

Thanks!

Roo
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The new Logi G502 was really nice when I tried it. It was a bit heavier than my Steelseries Sensei so I returned it. I think it uses some new Logi sensor tech. *shrug*
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    The new Logi G502 was really nice when I tried it. It was a bit heavier than my Steelseries Sensei so I returned it. I think it uses some new Logi sensor tech. *shrug*

Seems to have very similar dimensions to the G400 - I'm really after something more in the 160mm length, 90mm width type of range if there's anything out there that big :(

I remember having an old ball mouse from razer that I used to love. I used it well into the optical mouse era as it was just so much more comfortable than anything else I had tried. Boomslang I think it was called. Loved that mouse!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2014
    They make mice that long? The Sensei I use was 125mm long and it felt large to me for a long time. 120/130 is about the longest ive seen.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Really poor quality USB cable on these. I've had 3 G400s fall to it. Using a G400S now, no problems yet.
    edit: nothing to do with the roobubbas posts woops.

I went from a deathadder to G400, deathadder considerably larger and more comfortable for my bigger hand.