"One time" optimization

2»

Comments

• GattyGatty Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173236Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My NS2 wants to optimize every single time I start the game. And sometimes it also wants to do it after I disconnect from a server. If I chose 'Optimize' then it goes through a map loading exercise. If I hit skip it leaves me alone, but I'm not sure what it does in the background.

I probably ran the 'one-time' optimization about 20 times by now, maybe more.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    countbasie wrote: »
    Stepping through phasegates also shows an empty room for about 1 second now.

This is because PGs were made to predicted rendering, so you no longer "pause" as you go through them, while getting munched on.. you can zip through and instantly move.. unfortunately in some cases the world loads too slowly and everything can pop in.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Dogbite wrote: »
    Yep, I'm freezing up with a black screen right before getting in to the ready room, too. Then I'm lagged out at 999 for up to 30 seconds. This wasn't happening before.

quoted because this is exactly what happens to me.
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »
    I compile shaders every game now, not just the first time on a map ><

same
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    MrFangs wrote: »
    For me, the loading time is about the same as pre-252, might be a tad slower but nothing dramatic.

What *is* a bit annoying is that quite frequently, I get a black screen for several seconds after the loading has finished. Then it switches to the RR as if nothing had happened. Not sure if this related to the loading process, or a renderer issue, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Specs: i5-2500K, Radeon HD 6850, Samsung 840 SSD, using DirectX 11.

Same here. Together with freezes from 1 - 3 seconds occasionally during games. Otherwise I have 70-90 FPS.
    I tried DX9 and DX11 with and without texture streaming. Doesn't fixed it.

Those freezes occur for me when sounds are played for the first time.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    To those who Get this problem, i used to get it aswell. i believe i found out how to solve it (i'm not sure)
    Try dissabling ALL YOUR MODS, it's possible you have a few active mods that either don't work with the current build, or you arent subscribed to. it could be i conveniently stopped having the problem as i went through my mods list, but it could also be the core of the problem.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Locklear wrote: »
    I compile shaders every game now, not just the first time on a map ><
    Does it say that on the loading map screenshot with the percentage? Or in the console?.. because.. you shouldn't believe the console right now.
    If so start a thread in tech support please, i have some commands for you to try :)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    What is the deal with dx9/11? do we get improvements from 11? or does it introduce more rendering effects and thus actually lower performance?