"One time" optimization

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
For me, the "one time" optimization runs every single time I start the game. Is this the case for anyone else?

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    No, I had it just once.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Are you referring to the popup dialog, or the process of compiling/loading/precaching shaders when you join a game?
  • HazMattHazMatt Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186391Members
    I had it once after every game update.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IF it does pop up, just hit skip, it'll do it on the next map load you do and shouldn't bother you.

What would be nice though devs is if you fix the loading times :|
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The window came only once for me. But while connecting to a server the console spams "compiling xxxxxxxx.shader" every time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, I get that too...
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    OK, yeah compiling shaders and load times in general could be faster. We're always on the look out for ways to improve that.
    Any idea why when I have the game on a ramdrive I still take 5 minutes to load in?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SteveRock wrote: »
    OK, yeah compiling shaders and load times in general could be faster. We're always on the look out for ways to improve that.
    @SteveRock have you been able to track down what happened to loading between b250 and b254 somewhere? I was away during some of this time, but the loading process has suddenly taken a MASSIVE hit. I don't have the tools to track down where this delay is creeping in, but I suspect some sort of bug in loading as it literally takes many times longer to get fully loaded into game (with textures loaded as well) than it did 2 weeks ago.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I noticed that every shader is being recompiled always. This started happening on b254. Might explain why loading times are so slow now.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I also noticed that the navigation mesh seems to be generated anew with every map load. Is that something that can't be cached either or where it's simply better to make that on-the-fly every time instead of loading it?
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Loading seems significantly faster for me so I'm confused. I'm running on a crappy old SATA HDD, I will get one of those newfangled SSDs eventually though! :p
  • ARMYguyARMYguy Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187280Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I was going to say, load times on my regular WD black edition SATA 3 platter is def faster now than previously.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I compile shaders every game now, not just the first time on a map ><
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hmm optimisations for HDD loading at the expense of SSD loading? Curious...! It's several-fold slower for me now (still one of the first in game with my old i7 860 @ 3.8, 5870@stock, 512GB Plextor M5 Pro SSD).
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me, the loading time is about the same as pre-252, might be a tad slower but nothing dramatic.

What *is* a bit annoying is that quite frequently, I get a black screen for several seconds after the loading has finished. Then it switches to the RR as if nothing had happened. Not sure if this related to the loading process, or a renderer issue, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Specs: i5-2500K, Radeon HD 6850, Samsung 840 SSD, using DirectX 11.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MrFangs wrote: »
    For me, the loading time is about the same as pre-252, might be a tad slower but nothing dramatic.

What *is* a bit annoying is that quite frequently, I get a black screen for several seconds after the loading has finished. Then it switches to the RR as if nothing had happened. Not sure if this related to the loading process, or a renderer issue, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Same here. Together with freezes from 1 - 3 seconds occasionally during games. Otherwise I have 70-90 FPS.
    I tried DX9 and DX11 with and without texture streaming. Doesn't fixed it.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The freeze is because the game is recompiling the basic GUI shaders. It cannot display stuff until those are ready.
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    The freeze is because the game is recompiling the basic GUI shaders. It cannot display stuff until those are ready.

During the game? I thought it would only do this once at map load.
    _Necro_ wrote: »

During the game? I thought it would only do this once at map load.

I meant the black screen freeze right after loading. Freezes during the game don't happen to me, and neither does extremely low FPS, input lag, etc. that people are complaining about all over the place.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members

Same.
  • SychoSycho Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186642Members
    zeep wrote: »

Same.

Also here. Same cpu and Gpu.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2013
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Are you referring to the popup dialog, or the process of compiling/loading/precaching shaders when you join a game?

I was referring to the popup, which I presume will still slow the first map you load even if you hit skip. (All maps after the first load very fast though, much faster than pre 252).

Also is it just me or has collision really, really, really improved this patch? Cause if so well done! It is about damn time!
    CrushaK wrote: »
    I also noticed that the navigation mesh seems to be generated anew with every map load. Is that something that can't be cached either or where it's simply better to make that on-the-fly every time instead of loading it?

Well presumably every map has a different nav mesh.
    We do cache off the nav mesh, that usually saves about 2-5s of load. What makes you think it's being re-calculated each time?

The rendering engine has changed a lot, and one oversight is that it's saying "compiling shaders" in the console even when it's not. Although it may be acting slow for other reasons. These issues are being investigated.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I checked the console, and the "black freeze" happens after the "compiling shader" messages. There is no new console output after the freeze ends.
  • NaRcONaRcO Madrid Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44219Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Same here!! Annoying, never happen before
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I'm always getting a blackscreen on load. Every 1st time load, the game loads successfully however it hangs at the blackscreen and I can't do anything. I have to reconnect in console, load again, then get another black screen which lasts about 5 seconds then I'm in the RR. This is extremely frustrating.

Options:
    DXD11
    Lowest graphic settings

Specs:
    Core i7 3770k 3.4GHz
    Radeon HD 7870 OC
    SSD

I'll also add that while navigating the main menu I experience alot of chopiness and freezes.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, I'm freezing up with a black screen right before getting in to the ready room, too. Then I'm lagged out at 999 for up to 30 seconds. This wasn't happening before.
  • avateravater Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187733Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    got this black screen and a windows error notification after a few rounds and i got those little framerate hick ups :/
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited September 2013
    Stepping through phasegates also shows an empty room for about 1 second now.