Rework the power node system lighting

13»

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    On a somewhat related note, was messing around with Infestation casting shadows
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    How do you set that? Would like to run around a map with it.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Infestation casting shadows and dynamic lights from alien structures combined.

Make it happen. Use that amazing dynamic lighting engine that is just not getting it's proper dues.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    lighting should always be off (not "pitch black" but darker for sure!).
    ...i'm tired of rooms magically being lit at the start of the game - i get it, its pretty geometry, gorgeous normal and specular maps and you want us to see it and the players but the atmosphere isn't what it should be with no power and all this magical light frankly is ugly.

i also feel that the emergency lighting is a bit too even/bright.

power nodes are fine - the lighting dynamic however is not consistent and diminishes immersion.

theres my 75 cents.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    xDragon wrote: »
    sigh, do people here really forget 2 years of beta testing and what changes were made throughout?
    @xDragon ...we cant forget what we never knew.
    not everyone was a beta tester and besides...if beta testing got it right the first time then why are there so many fixes, map changes, etc.?
    beta testers are only a sample of all players and frankly the longer they test the more likely they are to conform to development team expectations.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's what I already had running, structure lighting and shadows. It's a simple value in Infestation.lua. SetCastsShadows(true)