Rework the power node system lighting

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
This game has such a great lighting engine, it should be shown off more:

1) When the power goes out, the room will stay pitch black until power is repaired. If there is alien fauna, it will subtly light the room.

2) Add another function to the 'power surge' ability (since it rarely gets used anyways). It would enable you to add emergency power to an unlit room for a price. The commander just clicks on the broken power node with power surge to enable emergency lighting forever in that room until the power is restored and its cycle is reset. The current power surge cinematic would play while the room is powering up with the emergency lighting.

It adds a lot of atmosphere to the game, and would be an interesting gameplay mechanic. Still waiting for the alien structures/infestation to actually transform a room with bioluminescence, but that's probably a ways off.

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    scans already light up the room, so i did not make any change to powersurge. you can see a basic implementation (including cyst glow) here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130391092
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    This is actually a mechanic I've been aggressively promoting especially given the recent changes to alien vision. You may or may not have access to the internal playtest forums as a forum mod, but check it out if you do. =]
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    I did read that thread earlier and thought it was interesting. I briefly played around on balance mod with this in sandbox mode, and it is AWESOME! New alien vision is actually useful now. You have a palpable sense of relief when the lights kick back on.

Would like to see emergency lighting still play a role somehow, if the implementation was like above, the transition from full lighting to emergency would have to be instantaneous since there's probably only maybe 5 seconds before it goes to 0%. Could be a superior effect to the current implementation, as most of the time marines clear the skulk from the power before it dies, but everybody understands they need to get the power repaired now b/c of emergency lighting.

If that doesn't work well, then maybe the power pack used for turrets also enables emergency power in the room if power surge is a no go? Anyways something to think about, I will make a video tomorrow night demonstrating the change when I have more time.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    It's really cool on the balance mod although the light seems to only illuminate terrain if you're far away from the glowing cysts. As soon as you get close to them the area around the cyst is dark again. The overall impression seemed to be that the rooms were a little bit too dark, but that could just be because the cyst light wasn't working correctly.

All in all it's a very awesome change that I'd love to see make it to the live build. The game looks so amazing when it actually uses the dynamic lightning engine to the fullest like this.

And, y'know, there's a cheesy tie-in with the whole "shadow" skulk thing in Reinforced. :))
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe he power pack can power flood lights too that are droppable for three res :D
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love this please make it so!! :x
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Awesome. Now make it switch to red emergency lighting as soon as the Power Node goes into "alarm state" and we have the perfect atmosphere!
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    With the new alien vision it would be cool if the alien start hive already had power destroyed in the room it's in
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I personally think it'd be really cool to leave a room blacked out when the power node is down, I have my flashlight on all the time anyway

would make taking out the power in certain choke points more of a thing to do instead of skipping it (or so I think)
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you'd have to balance this by making the power node easier/faster to repair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    It was destined to be! I really, really like it. Some rooms, in biodome for example, turn a little too dark considering they have windows, but that could surely change.

The general idea definitely needs to supported.
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    aeroripper wrote: »
    This game has such a great lighting engine, it should be shown off more:

1) When the power goes out, the room will stay pitch black until power is repaired. If there is alien fauna, it will subtly light the room.

+1 :)
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What was the reason to implement it the way it is done now?
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I love this idea and it is something I have wanted for a while, it really brings some tension to the game while fighting aliens in the dark
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Sewlek, which lua file did you go about editing to change this? I know it used to be PowerPoint_Client.lua but doesn't seem to work anymore (change emergency lighting to black). Thinking of making a mod to play around with this.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    No, making it permanently pitch-black is OP for aliens especially (but not limited to) if aliens set up base in the room that lost power, giving them permanent darkness and a HUGE defensive advantage in that area.

The point of the temporary darkness is for this only, to give a short offensive advantage (defensive if marines are just entering the room) in order to strike confusion, allowing them to quickly kill the marines. (or in the case of the short defensive advantage, sneak attack the intruding marines)
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Awesome. Thanks Sewlek!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Love it. Just need to fix that "bug" where the light source starts to blend to darkness the closer you get to it.

While it may be giving aliens a bit of an advantage, it finally makes one of the engine's major features stand out and gameplay relevant: full dynamic lighting.

It also adds even more awareness to what territory may be considered "contested".
    Full light/no infestation = marine territory.
    Darkness/no infestation OR full light/with infestation = contested by both sides.
    Darkness/with infestation = alien territory.

Things like alien vision and flashlights become meaningful, scans and Exo headlights can support the infantry to see in the darkness. Besides that marines can probably still see the red dots on their minimap and go all like "aliens nearby".
    And if that's still not enough, you can still consider to add throwable flares as fourth grenade type to temporarily light up rooms in red light with sparks and maybe some minor fire damage (similar to a Welder) for anything that touches the flare directly.

make-it-so.jpg
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    sigh, do people here really forget 2 years of beta testing and what changes were made throughout?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2013
    This looks awesome, Ive always wanted the power lighting system to actually mean something.

Watching that video, marines are sure gonna need flares!
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @1dominator1 Totally agree, having (free?) flares for the commander and marines should be a good solution.

The game win +1000 in charisma and immersion but as Marines it clearly will be far far more difficult to fight skilled skulks/fades/leark in a totally dark room. However I think the idea should be not thrown in the trash, what about making it a khammander feature ? If you cyst the node or make a shift in the room you can activate the capacity to disable all lights during 10-15sc vs 5 res, cool defense mechanic), or on the opposite, make the marines commander able to reactivate the lights in the room during 30sc vs 3/5 res ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    oh phantom is going to a whole 'nother level now.. sweet.
    What i *always* envisioned for NS2.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I think having pitch black rooms would be a great idea. Power nodes seem unfulfilled. The emergency red lighting just looks strange.

If the darkness is too powerful for Aliens, perhaps a prudent solution would be to give the Marines a purchasable Nightvision option. 3-5 res or so to use it.
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Wisp Well, I think it will be like actual babblers or the old flamethrower: nobody use it because it´s too situationnal to be useful.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I am for pitch black rooms.