Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So what do I do my name doesn't show up?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cyber-Kun

I use non-standard characters and it is causing bugs.
  • VA_ChrisVA_Chris Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183263Members
    hmm, there seems to be something off with the profiles. My stats seem consistent but the picture and the profile link go to another player
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    CyberKun wrote: »
    So what do I do my name doesn't show up?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cyber-Kun

I use non-standard characters and it is causing bugs.

Search with your ingame steam id or go through each page manually.

EDIT: Also yeah, @VA_Chris is right that it links the wrong profile. Same issue for me, I'm guessing bugs like this are why the page isn't officially released yet.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    This "skillsystem" is the 1st step in an direction many community member want.

But:
    There seem some great issues with the system in the current state.

Lets say we have 2 server, one filled with high skilled clanplayers a 2nd filled with free-weekend rookies.
    It seems the system is generating a score from kd/r, playtime and win/loss.
    The players on the servers get equal scores, kd/r and win/loss cause they play agains there skill-level.

In the end a free-weekend rookie can have the same score like the top clanplayers.

And it looks like that you get "skill-points" by killing bots on an practice server.
    Start your practice-server, build turrets everywhere, go to bed and wake up as a super skilled nr1 player.

A good skillsystem would track accuracy,compare players skillwise and the result should flow into the skill-level.
    http://ns2stats.com/ranking/index

• ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    dePARA wrote: »
    A good skillsystem would track accuracy,compare players skillwise and the result should flow into the skill-level.
    http://ns2stats.com/ranking/index

Wise words. :)

• AyanomooseAyanomoose Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185153Members
    btw. If you play on modded servers, your stats wont be send to the server.
    Most of the "better" servers using mods like shine, maps or ns2stats.

If you want cool stats you must play on the UWE official servers from now :D
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I was getting updated from playing on a server with Shine.
    Really? I have heard that the ranking system is checking the server for mods and didnt send the stats if it found one.
    This would make sense, cause modded servers can manipulate the stats.
    Like in Battlefield, where the ranking system is active only on official EA servers.
    It doesn't send stats from passworded servers. It may/may not send from servers that have their "game" type modified, but if it is sent, it's stored separately for some other ladder that's not showing yet.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    the skill system isnt work out at all ...
    its seems they put in 2 minutes of thoughts and just released something.

playing as commander wont give me a good k/d ratio.
    playing gorge as support wont give me a good k/d ratio either. Does that mean the player is less good then someone owning rookies?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It tracks a multitude of things, I don't know if K/D ratio is the most important. In any case, it's still a work in progress, and some things that define good players you simply can not track. But for now, it's better than nothing. Last time I checked, it seemed the servers which tend to attract a lot of veteran players are clearly ranked higher in skill level than the average server, so that's something at least.
    edited September 2013
    It does record whether you're commander or not, I don't know if these games are dropped or somehow you get skill off them.

Skill seems to be calculated by total score / hours played as far as I can tell (go check, seems about right).

EDIT: With how the assist system works for points now I think it's fairly accurate assuming not comm or rookie stomp.

EDIT2: It's not score / hours, see my post below.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I do not understand these rankings. Level?

Skill is points per minute, right? They need an algorithm that takes into account other things...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm pretty sure they're working on something ELO geared for commanders (since commander is considered a 1v1 position technically)

And I'm sure the stats page will be reset/reworked at some point soon
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just track accuracy.

/thread
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What was the formula they use again?

I'm on 69 skill rank right now so I'm already a winner :P
    Did some experimenting with someone, who submitted fake games for some fake steam accounts, based on the experiments we determined the following:

If the game was submitted (wasn't game mode modded etc)

Commander games are dumped (or stored for later)

Kill = 18 per 1
    Assist = 8 per 10
    Death = Skill gained by kills is divided by deaths (obviously 0 is the same as 1 like kd)
    Score = 6 per 10 divided by number of hours (eg. 30 minutes, 0.5 hours, would give 12 skill)
    Loss = Subtract 1/3 of total score

Skill for game = Total of above

Player skill = Average skill across games played
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    jewbear wrote: »
    Just track accuracy.

/thread

only play aliens, bite a marine once per game, become best player.
  • VongimiVongimi Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185241Members
    How come I can't find myself on this list?
    Search through every page or search your steam id (type sv_status in console in game to get it). You need to have played at least one game in a public unmodded server though.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Lol the hacked [ausns2.org] 'account' is still up there? XD
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Do any of these skill ranking systems explain how they rank players?
    Is only basic data used? Any unique/intelligent heuristics?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Do any of these skill ranking systems explain how they rank players?
    Is only basic data used? Any unique/intelligent heuristics?

I don't think it's ready yet, they will probably explain when it's done
    I doubt they will, for exploit reasons.
    lol at subtracting a third for a loss. Suppose you carry your team such that the only reason they even had a chance is because of you and yet the other team just had 8 decent players whereas you have 1 very good one and 7 bad players. Bad... I've seen some incredibly good players have much lower ranks than players who are at best okay. I suppose it is a work in progress...
    The formula has definitely been changed since I posted it, most notably I sometimes get a skill rating for a game less than my overall and somehow go up anyway, or the opposite.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The formula has definitely been changed since I posted it, most notably I sometimes get a skill rating for a game less than my overall and somehow go up anyway, or the opposite.

To check:

My team lost. I had top score on the aliens, 11 kills, 15 assists and 1 death yet got a rating of 400. So someone who was average at best on their team would get a higher score. Flawed, no?