[SOLVED] So where is the linux server?

Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in Server Discussion
With the linux build being out, the question arises where is the linux server? Tool won't install it, because of the wrong platform. I also hope it doesn't require X11 ...

edit: added [SOLVED] to thread title

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Woo b253! http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131680/253-is-out-reinforced-has-arrived-discuss-civily

No clue how to install though.

Steam>app_update 4940 validate
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4940' (Invalid platform)

Steam>app_update 4920 validate
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4920' (No subscription)

Even though 4940 should work according to http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q= Natural+Selection+2+Dedicated+Server&type=-1
  • grinsekatzegrinsekatze Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187165Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    You need to own the game on Steam (thus log in with your Steam account), I really hope they'll change that. Bit of an annoyance...
    That being said, the Linux server seems to be working, I have 16 people playing right now. I installed the client app (4920), the dedicated server (4940) doesn't have the Linux binaries yet.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    You need to own the game on Steam (thus log in with your Steam account), I really hope they'll change that. Bit of an annoyance...
    That being said, the Linux server seems to be working, I have 16 people playing right now. I installed the client app (4920), the dedicated server (4940) doesn't have the Linux binaries yet.

What? I need to use a Steam account which bought NS2 client to install Linux NS2 Server?
    That isn't needed with Windows version.

• grinsekatzegrinsekatze Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187165Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm sure they're going to add the Linux binaries to the dedicated server app at some point. As of right now, if you want to host a Linux server you will need a client installation.

There seems to be now way interact with the server. The '-console' options doesn't seem to do anything on Linux and the webserver just gives me an empty page...
    I'm sure they're going to add the Linux binaries to the dedicated server app at some point. As of right now, if you want to host a Linux server you will need a client installation.

There seems to be now way interact with the server. The '-console' options doesn't seem to do anything on Linux and the webserver just gives me an empty page...

How do you mean a Linux client installation, as in, creating a listen server from within the Linux client?
    No, although that might work, too.
    Currently, the only way to get your hands on the dedicated server binary for Linux (server_linux32) is to install the client (4920), the dedicated server (4940) ist still Windows-only. So either you install the game on your Linux box (if you are a Linux user) and copy the files over to your server, or you use steamcmd on your server, log in with your Steam credentials and install it directly from there (that's what I did).
    Thanks, will try that when I'm back home.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    To get it to run on ubuntu 64x:
    apt-get install libspeex1:i386 libspeexdsp1:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386

Edit: Besides that, webadmin does seem to work for me. It doesn't require X11 to be running, thank god :D

Issues:
    - Though any option in quotes using - will not be read correctly like -webdomain "my-domain.de" won't work :|
    - Under the given config path, it doesn't seem to create any configs.
    - Can only be run from the same directory where the executeable is
  • TarsusTarsus Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187114Members
    On my side (with Debian) when i launch the linux server i got :
    ./server_linux32: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /root/Steam/NS2/ns2/libSpark_Physics.so)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I adjusted a setting in the Steam configuration. Can you try downloading 4940 again?
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmm, yea...a bit derpy, that you need a Steam Account, which owns NS2, to be able to download AppID 4940 (NS2 Dedicated). Meh..then I have to log in with my Steam Account for a short moment :/

But besides that: Awesome, that Linux Builds now are available. I will keep running a NS2 Dedicated for sure :D
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Update Edit:

I can download AppID 4940 without issues on my Debian 6 Dedicated using my Steam Account Credentials. Seems like, that Max fixed it.

EDIT:

And there go my dreams. Libspeex somehow is not being found, where it is installed, according to apt-get. Also, GLIBC 2.15 is required and this GLIBC version is not available for Debian 6.0.7 :/
    Same here: working, but I still need my Steam credentials. Anonymous login results in: 'ERROR! Failed to install app '4940' (No subscription)'

About interacting with the server: am I just doing it wrong or is there currently no way to interact with the server short of connecting with a client? Neither does '-console' provide me with an interactive command line nor does the built-in webserver work. The latter one just gives me an empty page, it doesn't even ask for username/password.
    Would be interesting to know, on which specific Linux Distro the Server has been compiled on. Debian? Ubuntu?

This is the 2nd (or 3rd?) time, that my current Debian 6 install can't run something, since GLIBC is outdated and that it seems to be more wise to switch to Ubuntu instead.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Updated my issue list. Edit: More.

Issues:
    - Though any option in quotes using - will not be read correctly like -webdomain "my-domain.de" won't work :|
    - Under the given config path, it doesn't seem to create any configs.
    - Can only be run from the same directory where the executeable is

- This appeared after playing two matches with a full server (~16-20 people tram, veil, then swap to bio):
    -- Getting "Error: Exceeded maximum number of snapshots" after running the server for a while and playing a bit on it (after 2 maps)
    -- Memory leaks. Memory usage vent from ~1GB to 1.4GB after 2 maps, not going down.
    -- That wierd lag we've seen in the builds. Server starts lagging bad, but still uses same cpu, or even just 30% cpu

- Server has almost no threading at all. Once CPU caps at ~102%, tickrate drops. At most best results I've seen is ~114% CPU for threading
    - Backspace doesn't work in server console, puts ^? in there ( using bash shell / screen)
    - APPID 4940 works now, but only if you login with any account that actually owns NS2. NS2 servers should be freely available, as it doesn't contain the whole game
    - Commands in server console will not work at all
    - Sending commands as described here http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Web_API will not work, resulting in this error:
    http://pastebin.com/2HK7b9y3
    - Executing commands on the client will also show the output in the server console (I don't think it should. I.e. it should show that someone is executing a command, but it should not show the output for the client - like status prints twice, once in server console and once in client console).

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    The server never did have multi threading... hopefully now with linux released the devs can work on adding multi threading to Windows and linux servers and we can really deal a big blow to server side lag :D
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    The server never did have multi threading... hopefully now with linux released the devs can work on adding multi threading to Windows and linux servers and we can really deal a big blow to server side lag :D

It seems do some very minor threading. I think the egg placement code is threaded, not sure about anything else.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I was referring to the actual engine and lua jit compiler. I do suppose it is possible for individual methods within the game to have some degree of threading. However, I do not believe we are really getting a big tick boost from threaded egg placement right now lol.

Also I heard there is an issue that you need to actually own NS2 in order to install the linux server (for the steamcmd account). Not sure if that has been fixed yet or not.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am using an account with NO NS2 Client access and successfully downloaded 4940 on ubuntu x64
    Whosat wrote: »
    I am using an account with NO NS2 Client access and successfully downloaded 4940 on ubuntu x64

Same, time to bring my server back :D
  • gH0sTygH0sTy Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    So here's how I was able to start the server on Debian Wheezy.
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

Fix for the following error:
    ./server_linux32: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /***/***/***/ns2ram1/libSpark_Physics.so)

Download libc6_2.15-0ubuntu10.4_i386.deb and extract it with somehing like 7-zip.
    Now navigate to libc6_2.15-0ubuntu10.4_i386\data\lib\i386-linux-gnu and locate the file libm-2.15.so.
    Upload it to your NS2 Server installation folder (where server_linux32 is and all the other dll's and so's are) and rename it to libm.so.6.
    I've attched the renamed file for the lazy ones.

Was anyone able to use the -config_path and -file params?
    My server ignored it and I couldn't find anything in the logs.
    gH0sTy wrote: »
    So here's how I was able to start the server on Debian Wheezy.

Fix for the following error:
    ./server_linux32: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /***/***/***/ns2ram1/libSpark_Physics.so)

Download libc6_2.15-0ubuntu10.4_i386.deb and extract it with somehing like 7-zip.
    Now navigate to libc6_2.15-0ubuntu10.4_i386\data\lib\i386-linux-gnu and locate the file libm-2.15.so.
    Upload it to your NS2 Server installation folder (where server_linux32 is and all the other dll's and so's are) and rename it to libm.so.6.
    I've attched the renamed file for the lazy ones.

Was anyone able to use the -config_path and -file params?
    My server ignored it and I couldn't find anything in the logs.

Same here regarding -config_path.
    Any way to disable "rookie friendly" by commandline?
  • gH0sTygH0sTy Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    -config_path works, make sure you escape the quotation mark with a backslash, this affects all options that require quotation marks
    Example:
    -config_path \"/home/blah/NS2Server/config\" -name \"Mah Server\" -modstorage \"/home/blah/NS2Server/Workshop\" -logdir \"/home/blah/NS2Server\" -mods \"706d242 5fd7a38 5f9ccf1 7b986f5 46f035a\" -webadmin -webdomain 123.45.678.90 -webport 8888 -webusers \"/home/blah/NS2Server/.htpasswd\" -map ns2_biodome -ip 123.45.678.90 -port 27015 -limit 18

However the -file option is obviously not implemented in the linux server but there's a -hotload options, wonder what it is for.
    edited August 2013
    Cheers!
    added solved to thread title
    edited August 2013
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Cheers!
    added solved to thread title

Server still has a bunch of bugs and issues. Also major ones like the memory leak. I've had the server running the entire night and now it's at 2GB memory.
    Might do a wiki page specifically related to server issues, what do you think?
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow you linux guys never cease to amaze me. Props for all the commitment. It would probably be a good idea if someone could writeup a little 'howto linux server' for a sticky or the wiki.
  • AirfireAirfire Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6390Members
    If i wan't to run ./server_linux32 i get this
    ./server_linux32: error while loading shared libraries: libspeex.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

...so i did this

...but get that :-O
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package libspeex1:i386
    E: Unable to locate package libspeexdsp1:i386
    E: Unable to locate package libgtk2.0-1:i386
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgtk2.0-1'

I'm running a Debian Whezzy 64bit server
    Copying libspeex.so.1 by hand is also not a good idea.
    ./server_linux32: error while loading shared libraries: /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/ns2_ds/libspeex.so.1: file too short

Put the issues up here: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Dedicated_Server_Issues
    Argosh wrote: »
    It would probably be a good idea if someone could writeup a little 'howto linux server' for a sticky or the wiki.

http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Dedicated_Server#Linux_Setup
  • TarsusTarsus Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187114Members
    edited August 2013
    Anyone else got this ? : could not open maps/ns2_summit.level-server.tile_cache_grid for write ( i'm on debian ) :
    Build 254
    Linux
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
    Connected to Steam servers
    VAC Enabled
    Loading config://ServerConfig.json
    Loading config://ServerAdmin.json
    Loading config://BannedPlayers.json
    Loading config://MapCycle.json
    Loading config://ConsistencyConfig.json
    Loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
    Cooked mesh with 27359 faces, 19963 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 37638 faces, 26410 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 6665 faces, 5486 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 3442 faces, 2087 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 4 faces, 4 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 4 faces, 4 vertices
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/root/Steam/NS2/ns2/ns2/models/marine/Dropship/dropShip.model'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_summit.level
    Error: Could not open maps/ns2_summit.level-server.tile_cache_grid for write
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'

• AirfireAirfire Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6390Members
    Tarsus, which Debian you use?

Wheezy?
    32 or 64bit?
    Desktop or headless?
This discussion has been closed.