Reinforced can't come quickly enough. The state of balance right now is at best very frustrating.

1235»

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    ask valve

The point is: by editing the server.exe via hex editor, you change the game.
    Thats a hack not a mod.

And 32 and more slot servers and cant exist without this hack.
    Thats why they should not shown in the serverbrowser for reasons discussed here.

This thread is about balance issues and ppl asking why its not allowed to hack the server.exe?
    What is wrong with you? sorry

People dont want a pro mod but want balance for 6v6 and 16v16.
    They complainig about performace but playing on 32 alot servers.
    They want more players but dont want pure rookie servers to prevent rookie stomping and no servers for the skilled players.

I think THIS is the real reason why the game lose players.
    Its impossible to give the players what they want, cause they dont know what they want.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    MisterYoon wrote: »
    Reducing costs of Lerk Fade Onos was just no more than the worst fail.

That is just a placebo effect. While the pres costs of lifeforms were reduced, the rate of pres gain was also reduced by 20%.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    dePARA wrote: »
    "or any software accessed via Steam" is steam? hmm

and yet it still means dick in the EU.

• Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Thank you UWE for turning NS2 into combat mode for fades.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Daveodeth wrote: »

You are right, but it is still a hack and not a mod.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The point is: by editing the server.exe via hex editor, you change the game. Thats a hack not a mod.

You are riding on the fuzzy terminology of "hacking". Modifying an exe is called a hack from a technical standpoint, that's correct. This has, however, nothing at all to to with "hacking" in the sense of cheating. This is what you claimed, and it's completely wrong.

For reference:
    The gamerules dictate what others should do. They dictate the damage of your weapon, they dictate the speed you run and they dictate ammount of players a server can have. There is a definition for breaking these rules: cheating.

By the way, I'm all for separate pro vs. pub rulesets. I would also be fine with high player count servers marked with a big "unofficial gameplay" warning or whatever. Just stop that "cheating" argument, it's silly.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Daveodeth wrote: »

You are right, but it is still a hack and not a mod.

your argument is weak... argue that 20-man should be the limit is fine, but no matter how many times you say that >20-man is "HAXXOR!11one" won't make it sound any less stupid.

it doesn't change the game for you or me, because we don't play on 24-man servers... and if we did then we have no right to complain. i accidentally joined a combat server before, oh noooooes - ban combat mod!

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    He has a point, if we call it a hack or not.

Those 32 slot servers which have a changed server executable can NOT run 32 slots. I see preformance dip in the server browser plenty of times. It dips hard, and deep.
    The rare times i was forced to join even 24 slots I saw it crash its rates in game.

And then people complain about lag, and hitreg and all the other stuff because the server simply is not up to the job. Yes, they may run on good rates most of the time, but people remember the bad a lot better.

And ns2 IS unbalanced on high numbers. If it should be balanced is a debate on itself, but we are feeding folk a unbalanced, low performance experience and then wonder why everyone complains about performance and balance.
    Especially as a modified exe means its not really supported balance or performance either!

Yes, I could not care less if some folk play on whatever high a server. Go try 50 slots for all I care. If you enjoy it, have fun.
    But do realise the game is not balanced on it, and its hard to balance for high numbers ever.. Where does it end? Balance for 24? 30? 36? Perhaps balance up to 50?
    Ideally you want a balance which scales infinite and if they can do it, well done. I just doubt such a thing can be done.

You could also see it like this.. dont force the 'low' 18 slots or less playercount servers to mod, let the high player servers mod away. Its already on the unsupported end.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    He has a point, if we call it a hack or not.

Those 32 slot servers which have a changed server executable can NOT run 32 slots. I see preformance dip in the server browser plenty of times. It dips hard, and deep.
    The rare times i was forced to join even 24 slots I saw it crash its rates in game.

And then people complain about lag, and hitreg and all the other stuff because the server simply is not up to the job. Yes, they may run on good rates most of the time, but people remember the bad a lot better.

And ns2 IS unbalanced on high numbers. If it should be balanced is a debate on itself, but we are feeding folk a unbalanced, low performance experience and then wonder why everyone complains about performance and balance.
    Especially as a modified exe means its not really supported balance or performance either!

Yes, I could not care less if some folk play on whatever high a server. Go try 50 slots for all I care. If you enjoy it, have fun.
    But do realise the game is not balanced on it, and its hard to balance for high numbers ever.. Where does it end? Balance for 24? 30? 36? Perhaps balance up to 50?
    Ideally you want a balance which scales infinite and if they can do it, well done. I just doubt such a thing can be done.

You could also see it like this.. dont force the 'low' 18 slots or less playercount servers to mod, let the high player servers mod away. Its already on the unsupported end.

That is what I wanted to say.

I really wouldn't mind high slot servers, if we had a larger player base. Live and let live and stuff, but we are so low on players that you can not fill an 18 slot server at the later evening. At some point you are forced to play on high slot servers or not play at all (see CrushaK).

So many new players joined those 24 slot servers as their first experience. A lagging cluster fak. Most of them were probably so naive to think that they could turn the graphics up, because their pc can run battlefield 3 on ultra settings. Now you have dozens of players with 20 fps in combat who wouldn't hit anyway because of the 4 marines dancing in front of him.

I'm just gonna stop posting now, because this discussion is going in circles as always. Don't know why I even bothered..
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looking forward to see how the linux servers handle