Someone played a dirty trick on me. (and key bindings)

McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This was at the start of the round. I started playing marine com. I was doing everything fine, till someone said that I was recycling structures, and everyone started ejecting me. I did not try to go recycle every building on the map. After I was ejected from the com chair, the person who said It typed this in chat: Muahahaaha. Sucker! I couldn't remember what it was.

Have you been a victim of this?

EDIT: This topic is now about prefered key bindings.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Nope but could be because im admin on the server i mostly play on,why are ppl just not smart enough to check if a com recycle things before voting against him? Trolls are going to troll at any time. But going the same way some ppl tried to kick me when the vanilla vote system was just introduced
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I made the mistake of binding voice chat to "v" once. Suffice to say my constant and confused spree of cancelling upgrades and recycling buildings every time I tried to talk was not conducive to victory. It's probably not your issue, but eh, thought I'd share.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    You just got unlucky, too many people on your team with "oh two guys voted they must be right I will vote too" -syndrome.

You can just roll your being trolled on everyone who voted for ejecting. I hope you clarified you didn't recycle anything.

As for the troll, ...who cares.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I made the mistake of binding voice chat to "v" once. Suffice to say my constant and confused spree of cancelling upgrades and recycling buildings every time I tried to talk was not conducive to victory. It's probably not your issue, but eh, thought I'd share.
    I used to hate trying to figure out what key to bind talk to. If you haven't already, I highly recommend buying a nice mouse with side buttons near the thumb. Now I use those for voice communication and it's so convenient.

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Enhance89 wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I used to hate trying to figure out what key to bind talk to. If you haven't already, I highly recommend buying a nice mouse with side buttons near the thumb. Now I use those for voice communication and it's so convenient.

A Logitech G600 is a very good mouse of you want this.
  • JoshuasonJoshuason Join Date: 2013-08-09 Member: 186674Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've had this happen before.. I always hop out before they get enough votes. Or start a New vote of some kind to distract them.
  • JCDentonJCDenton Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183768Members
    How often do you guys alt tab out of the game because you are talking on the mic, and you check the scoreboard?
    It happens to me twice a day
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How often do you guys alt tab out of the game because you are talking on the mic, and you check the scoreboard?

hahaha yea me too. in older builds I couldnt even alt tab back into the game without making it crash xD
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    JCDenton wrote: »

Not NS2 related but I've had a similar issue with Diablo 2. When you hold ALT you check for any loot on the ground whilst TAB is used to bring up the map. Yeah, you can guess what happens. Especially deadly when there's a large mob coming your way and you're stuck looking at the Windows background screen. FML.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Don't forget running and checking the scoreboard, opening the steam-overlay.
    And of course, theres the console as well...
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Pro players don't change the bindings, pro players inscribe not pressing alt+tab or shift+tab into their muscle memory through painful trial and error.

I noticed yesterday how automatic this is. I started questioning why I jump every time I check the scoreboard as a marine, turns out it was because sprinting with shift and checking the scoreboard with tab brings the steam overlay up, but I had no idea I did this before I started thinking about it. I also have my push-to-talk in left Alt, but I haven't accidentally windowsed myself in months. My brain's just wired not to talk and and check the scoreboards at the same time, and I don't have to think about it. It would just feel wrong even without the punishment of minimizing the game.

Some might say that changing the bindings would be more effective, but I like to live on the edge.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Hmm. Most of the time a kick vote pops up out of the blue, we at least ask "Why?"
    And 90% of the time it's some AFK guy.

Also: You can see what the commander buys and recycles because it shows up on your GUI as marine player.

@Therius: An auto-voice option would be nice.
    Pretty often I had to decide wether I pass info to my team or use my fingers to jump and evade the first jump. Especially in Nanogrid on Veil...

If the microphone would activate itself each time I speak, I would have one less anatomically impossible thing to worry about.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Therius wrote: »
    Pro players don't change the bindings, pro players inscribe not pressing alt+tab or shift+tab into their muscle memory through painful trial and error.

I noticed yesterday how automatic this is. I started questioning why I jump every time I check the scoreboard as a marine, turns out it was because sprinting with shift and checking the scoreboard with tab brings the steam overlay up, but I had no idea I did this before I started thinking about it. I also have my push-to-talk in left Alt, but I haven't accidentally windowsed myself in months. My brain's just wired not to talk and and check the scoreboards at the same time, and I don't have to think about it. It would just feel wrong even without the punishment of minimizing the game.

So you are a pro player, and we are not. Congratulations.
    Some might say that changing the bindings would be more effective, but I like to live on the edge.

Uuuhh, we have badass over here.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

I'm pretty sure pro players would just change the binding. I'm pretty sure everyone just changes the binding.

Mine is the home key. It seemed at home there.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    PgUp.

Every game every now uses shift for sprint and tab for score. Doesn't make any sense to not just rebind Steam overlay. Recently changed ingame talk from alt to v, I learnt the hard way to not check the score and talk at the same time too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    why are ppl just not smart enough to check if a com recycle things before voting against him?
    Mob mentality is always wrong ;)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Ctrl is the best voice comm key.

-fully able to build, move, etc.
    -not on the mouse, doesn't mess with your aim
    -doesn't mess with WASD or any keys above, fully able to combat while talking

(crouch in shift and special movement in that funny key between shift and z.)

PLUS SAYING "I GOT THIS GUYS" WHILE GUNNING DOWN A SKULK IS SOOOOOOO COOOOOL.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Mine is the home key. It seemed at home there.

You so punny sir ;) And Yeah I changed the key for scoreboard to Q...seemed like a good idea at the time and now I'm stuck with it. Cba forcing myself to learn a new key now.

Alt is a really nice voice key if you dont have spare mouse buttons, just a shame about the alt + tab combination being minimize, and also a frequent killer of NS2 lol.

With regards to OP, sounds like you got unlucky with trolls and silly voters. Dont let that stop you commanding though! Its a very rare thing to have someone troll like that in my experience.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Use V to voice chat, it just makes sense, V, Voice, god damnit people, get this.
    V is too busy for superior flashlight control while retaining full WASD capabilities. SIR YES SIR!
    Ctrl is the best voice comm key.

-fully able to build, move, etc.
    -not on the mouse, doesn't mess with your aim
    -doesn't mess with WASD or any keys above, fully able to combat while talking

(crouch in shift and special movement in that funny key between shift and z.)

PLUS SAYING "I GOT THIS GUYS" WHILE GUNNING DOWN A SKULK IS SOOOOOOO COOOOOL.

Hm. I think space may be even better.
    Maybe. I just think jump is horrible in mouse2 or wherever it is you weirdos keep it.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I just use the opposite. Crouch is ctrl and Shift is mumble. IMO, any key that takes any finger off of WASD is not a good key for voip.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Omg...mouse 2 is the best jump key, amazing feedback feel and easy to use in skilled jumping games (eg quake).
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This forum continues to amaze me with its incapability to process sarcasm.

Yes, I'm looking at you @F0rdPrefect
    Well... It's hard to get in written language.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Omg...mouse 2 is the best jump key, amazing feedback feel and easy to use in skilled jumping games (eg quake).

Imma let you finish, but I NEVER got into that myself. Just feel WEIRD. Maybe I'll try it in quake today. I KNOW space is clunky compared to m2, but... Anyhow, I'll try it. ^#(^
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members

I thought that people used the scroll wheel for jumping (a la counterstrike). It might not be a bad idea, since it's not used very much anyways (unless you really hate pressing the number keys above WASD for weapon switching).
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    Also, I love how this post started out with comm eject trolls and now everyone is talking about keybinds
    It's called recycling. Why make a new thread for discussion when this one is in perfect condition?