After 800 hours in the game

ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
Does anyone else wish to play the old NS1 maps again? Those were the best and I don't see a reason why UWE won't create them for the sake of creating reply value.

This is especially true for NS1 vets. I truly miss NS1 maps to death but I think UWE sees it as a negative thing; to go back to it's old NS1 roots. But when a game brings good memories, it's often a good idea to bring those memories back and to the present. Remember ns_caged? ns_nothing? ns_eclipse? All those EPIC games everyone had and loved? Veil is awesome but we need more. We need a re-haul of every single NS1 classic map there is!

Sure, new maps are good but take a look at the kinds of maps UWE have been creating (no offense). Refinery? Descent?

Maybe I'm the only crazy one wanting old maps again but Veil in NS2 is a success so why can't all the other NS1 classics achieve the same?

I realize we have people who are creating these maps but they aren't official and within the normal map cycle within games and servers. UWE needs to create these epic maps again. Counter Strike always had the same maps from when they first launched to this moment. World of Warcraft still has the same raids, maps, and battlegrounds they did when they first launched. Even Call Of Duty brings back old maps from previous games.

UWE needs to get their shit together and bring back the originals. Please and thanks.

Comments

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I agree. Why won't they just click the "port from X game engine" button in the NS2 map editor is beyond me.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Enjoy :P --> \Steam\SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\Editor.exe
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    If you really understood how this game engine works, you wouldn't be making pointless threads like this. Most NS1 maps will never work in NS2, which is why not many have been ported and/or re-created. I do know of a few that are in the works at least. Do I miss NS1? Sure. However, this is NS2.

Think before you post.
    Please and thanks.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Workin' on it, sir! Or at least, I would be if I wasn't in the hospital, but still... remakes are underway.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    It is possible to port some over to the Spark engine, but they are missing some geo, not textured, etc...
    Eclipse may be coming soon, who knows. Last I knew it was in play testing or something after UWE took over it.
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    ns_eclipse is a favorite of mine (looked fantastic on the goldsrc engine). Many good games there.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Pretty sure eclipse is still a work in progress.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    joshhh wrote: »
    If you really understood how this game engine works, you wouldn't be making pointless threads like this. Most NS1 maps will never work in NS2, which is why not many have been ported and/or re-created. I do know of a few that are in the works at least. Do I miss NS1? Sure. However, this is NS2.

Think before you post.
    Please and thanks.

Oh god another Shinigaml post. Pointless threads are his forte. Thinking and understanding are not an option.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    public static void Main(String args[]) {
        createAwesomeGame();
        portAllTheMaps();
    }

private void createAwesomeGame() {
        gameCreated = true;
    }

private void portAllTheMaps() {
        for (Map m: ns1Maps) {
            m.port();
        }
    }

There you go.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Eclipse will return.....
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    "Eclipse" ...

Don't lie Obraxis.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There is veil covering eclipse right now...................
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Just rename it and save yourself some backlash.
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members

Think before you post.
    Please and thanks.
    PaLaGi wrote: »

Think before you post.
    Please and thanks.

Oh god another Shinigaml post. Pointless threads are his forte. Thinking and understanding are not an option.

You do realize you can tweak and change the original NS1 maps to be compatible for NS2 right? I'm not saying to port over the maps exactly untouched and untethered. Obviously there are limitation to the NS2 engine and it's map editor but you clearly do not understand the point I'm trying to get across in this thread. If Veil can be done, and Eclipse is soon underway (according to sources), then I do not see how the basic blueprints of Tanith, or Nothing can't be done as well. Sure there will be obstacles and challenges ahead but it's nothing to fret over and accept it as impossible, like you seem to be doing.
    Huge time sink for and I do mean HUGE:

- creating the map and perhaps props and textures
    - map testing
    - balance testing
    - redesigning

You can use the original maps as a sort of blueprint, but you cannot use the geometry ported over. So it is basically a complete rebuild based on a layout that might not even work properly in NS2. Mapping isn't exactly plug and play so to speak ;)
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    Well it's a huge time sink for any new map UWE creates. A blueprint of the old maps are enough to create the sense that you're playing the classic maps which would be what most people would be satisfied with.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Given that UWE is leaving most classic map ports to the community, be sure to visit the mapping forums and give feedback to the mappers.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited July 2013
    It takes what 6-12 months to make a map for NS2? .... even porting over a NS1 map would take just as long ... since you almost have to start from scratch anyway. Not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Its much closer to 12 than 6
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    Caged - Currently being remade, we play it alot in PUGS and apart form cyst chain broken in sewer plays quite well.
    Lost - Very good remake, untextured. Will be testing in pugs tonight. We tested the cyst chain and it works everywhere on the map
    Tanith - Map is done, Mendasp has video's of him texturing tanith descent style. Plays well in pug as well
    Eclipse - Taken underwraps by UWE never to be seen again. As I understand it, remedy has disappeared and the map is basically been re-made and is not anything like the original anymore.
    Metal - Original dev that made ns1_metal is doing this map. He had some good progress, but has stopped working on it as I understand due to rl issues
    Origin - No word, someone started it but not much has happened
    Hera - Very amazing rework coming. Very excited for this. Screenshots are godly
    Nancy - Very good rework coming, very excited for this as well. Screenshots are amaaaaaazing

Funnily enough, I enjoy playing these maps with no textures. It's good to be able to see things so clearly and you don't die due to over-stimulation of visual imagery. I'm most excited for lost, caged, tanith, eclipse, metal and origin from a competitive point of view. Nancy & Hera from a pure nostalgia PoV
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Really looking forward to Caged and Eclipse, personally. Though maps take a long time to develop so I'm afraid it won't be for anytime soon :(.
    edited July 2013
    Remember though, you can already play Caged; it's out there, though not yet entirely in its final shape and with a bug here and there.

EDIT: and, obviously, largely untextured. :P
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    would love to see more servers w/ tanith, was my favorite ns1 map and i'd like to see how it plays/looks! Would also love to see more servers intergrating customs in general. Have really enjoyed the times I've played caged.

*ehem* server mods... ;)