Please increase the number of hours before rookie status is removed.

current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Does anyone else think that rookie status should be increased from 3 hours to something closer to 15 hours? Personally I feel it would help sale weekends where most people will be white after a few hours of play and in fact they are still very much rookies. More often than not rookies are treated differently and at the same time you expect white players to behave a certain way.

Who agrees the time should be increased? What number do you think appropriate?

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    I agree, but I'd rather see levels of rookies by hours. People seem to like being rewarded anyway and that's one way to do it without affecting anything else

edit: I think at least 10 though
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    yeah I'd agree 10 hours.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    (Edit) I'd say around 10 hours. But I think labeling new players alone accomplishes very little.

"Newbie" servers should be enjoyable environments for real newbie players to learn and practice, and not just the same as "normal" servers with labels (but can be joined by any player, so newbies can receive coaching).

I would even suggest that special rules be to be enforced on "newbie" servers, to reduce the maximum power of players can gain with skills ("skill ceiling"), to ensure that experienced player won't join with the intention to bully newbies. Such special rules would need to be communicated to players, so they understand that they're playing on "easy" difficulty.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    current1y wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that rookie status should be increased from 3 hours to something closer to 15 hours? Personally I feel it would help sale weekends where most people will be white after a few hours of play and in fact they are still very much rookies. More often than not rookies are treated differently and at the same time you expect white players to behave a certain way.

Who agrees the time should be increased? What number do you think appropriate?

But currently, what if they played nothing but gorge for 300 hours because they couldn't get past 15fps?
    :P
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Then they become legend.
    indianagorge.png
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    About 10h sounds about right. Or make it 30h as suggested above, but make the saturation of green used in the colour of their name directly proportional to time played over that 0-30h period :) That way if someone is at 25h, they have a hint of green, and people will know they're not a complete rookie.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    <3 hours is a beginner. <15 hours is a rookie.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited July 2013
    3 hours is definitely silly and having the option to turn rookie stutus on and off at any time in settings is silly as well.

I'd say rookie should not be generic time based system , but rather it based on how many hours a player spends in each role in the teams, so a minimum of 5 hours per role, alien / marine commander, standard marine, skulk etc

If you want to make sure someone isn't actually still a rookie and is well versed in all the game has to offer, this is the only way.

I think this would encourage people to give aliens a go as a lot of newbies just stick with marines for their first couple of days playing the game as they are use to soldiers from other games.

Seen a lot of rookies / people wait it out for marine slots in the waiting room unbalancing the game for people who have selected a team.

This is why mods like Shine admin and the recent addition of vote for force random ready room is so important to have.

7 months ago, games were a nightmare as afkers would just sit in the waiting room, so would people refusing to go on the alien team, it was a real mess, lol
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree rookie time needs to be longer.

In addition, I think we should extend the concept, for e.g.:

Green: <5 hours
    Yellow: >5 hours, <10 hours. Player has never achieved more than 50 score per minute.
    Normal: 10 hours of gameplay. Player has achieved 50 score per minute at least 3 consecutive times.

Basically SPM, or some other indicator, that is linked to player performance and not just time.