So, what's the current state of the game?

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
Hint: I gave up on it during 239.

Comments

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

It wants your body. Come back.

• ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    In short...

If you always prayed for the game to be something a little closer to NS1, with a higher skill floor and lower skill ceiling, with completely different movement mechanics... come on back and give it a try.

If you were hoping NS2 would stay closer to the original concepts of NS2 and not undergo sweeping mechanics changes, stay away.

-Colt
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Well, after the cluster that was initial release and the following few months, I want to hear what people think of it before trying again.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Game is running pretty smoothly. . . only have seen a few lag bugs and occasional massive drops in FPS for some unknown reason

Community is flooded with new players so the overall skill curve is quite low compared to a month ago
    Since then the game has gotten several sales, major content added, and several blips on various news sites all pulling in fresh players

Tactics-Wise the game is still quite enjoyable
    Many equipment and evolutions that I never touched before are now all quite viable

If you're coming back I'd swing into a combat server first till you get the of shooting and moving around before you just into a serious game
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    250 brought some good changes. Still needs some work but, better overall. Give it a shot.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah some good changes, if you haven't played since 239 you'll get a bit of a shock playing 250, but you'll get used to it.
    FPS is a bit up for most of the case, still needs more work but getting there.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Can't hurt to spend 30 minutes re-downloading. I'll give'er a shot. Thanks
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    239 was the cut off for me as well, then came back for 250 and have been pleasantly addicted all over again. New movements means relearning most lifeforms though. Just a heads up. Wasn't too difficult however.

Most maps have undergone small adjustments as well, so that was kinda nice.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    same as back then with a little bit better performance

teams still suck in most games
    people don't know how to quit when games are over

guess it depends why you gave up. the important issues (finding fun games) are still unresolved imo

there might be slightly more strategic depth possible with the current state of mechanics, but that's probably too early to judge
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Everybody loves the changes.

Everybody else hates the changes.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited July 2013
    The game has changed a fair bit. I think it's far easier now for one side to steam roll the other. A couple of people with a good PC can dominate the whole server in the early game, and allow the steam roll to commence by about 6mins, when the multi-fade rushes begin.

I see a lot more inexperienced players about now since 250 and the Steam sale, but less and less actual green names. Looks like the sale-ers are sticking with it, displacing the older longer-term vets that were about before 250. Game population is plummeting back to pre-sale levels so it does look like the sale provided no net benefit in terms of player count.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Performance is great (on low graphics settings, dunno why), I consistently get above 110fps now on my i5 2500 non k (equivalent to i5 3470 non k) except in very rare circumstances.

Gameplay mechanics are a lot more enjoyable over all, I've still got my gripes with them moving more and more towards competetive focused mechanics but that's just me.

Overall, give the game a try again.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldn't say that. We are not back to pre sale player counts yet. And it is normal that this happens. The last sale lasted 19 days (measured in player counts). This one is at day 13 since the start and overall we have 400 players more than pre sale.

It sure will decline no matter what. It does this even without a sale. But the sale helped to push the player count and we will see in round about 7 days if the patch has a good or bad influence on the player count overall.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Performance is good, recent changes in 250 are mostly good, I like everything except fade movement mechanics. I hated it before too, that lifeform is just broken by design.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. We are not back to pre sale player counts yet. And it is normal that this happens. The last sale lasted 19 days (measured in player counts). This one is at day 13 since the start and overall we have 400 players more than pre sale.

It sure will decline no matter what. It does this even without a sale. But the sale helped to push the player count and we will see in round about 7 days if the patch has a good or bad influence on the player count overall.

There was a GMG sale that lasted until the 8th which could have affected the numbers even when the steam sale ended. Probably not as big as the steam sale but still somewhat kept the numbers up.

un11titled.jpg

Even so it took around 3 months for the player count to drop into the 700s so I expect the same here and by then we will have the content patch out along with the sales and advertising from the tournament and plushies so that it will go back up.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It's all gravy compared to b239.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Even so it took around 3 months for the player count to drop into the 700s so I expect the same here and by then we will have the content patch out along with the sales and advertising from the tournament and plushies so that it will go back up.

But everyone will be playing with their gorge plushies! Natural Selection will die! Killed by Gorge Plushy!

RIPNS2_0.jpg
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Uhhh NS2 isn't even on the top100 steam graph anymore, for some perspective look at how Chivalry is doing. They had their sale right with NS2 2 weeks ago or whenever that was, they were around NS2 on the top100 graph and they went well up the top100 before slowly sliding down and for example today have peaked so far a bit under 3k. NS2 must not have peaked above 1k today, cause the last game on the list is at 900 or so.

But no, the game isn't on it's last legs. Keep thinking that.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members

Same game as before, still boring.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    the game is very different,

imo marines seem to work more closely together relying on welders to fix their armor.

i also like the fact that even dead players now gain res
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, after the cluster that was initial release and the following few months, I want to hear what people think of it before trying again.
    249 brought in luaJIT and massive performance gains along with it. You should give it a whirl if for no other reason that to see how much better it runs now. It's honestly hard to overstate just how much better the performance is compared to where we were just a month or two ago, much less longer than that.

250 has been a bit divisive, but I feel it's on the whole good for the game and, for me, is a lot more fun and fresh than it used to be. Player movement is much better as well.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

It's more like ns1 :DDDDDDDD Bunnyhopping skulks and fades yeaaaa