"UWE is a European company"

tk-421tk-421 Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Posts: 191
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
...was the consensus reached by a group of new players on our server a few days ago.

Why you ask?

Because "...that guy's voice in the pop-up video boxes has a funny accent".

(seriously, about 8 or 9 players thought Hugh - and UWE - were proper British).
dragonmithSolidSpider

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,781 Advanced user
    edited July 2013
    On a side note... There is no such thing as a British accent, nor shall there ever be one. People just get confused at his upside down English :P

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

tk-421SquishpokePOOPFACEperegrinusSolidSpider
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Members Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Posts: 274 Fully active user
    Even if they were a European company, whats the point?
    DeskLamp
  • tk-421tk-421 Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Posts: 191
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Even if they were a European company, whats the point?

None, really. I live in Europe myself, just thought it was a funny observation?
  • HamletHamlet Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Posts: 373 Advanced user
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Whats the point?
    Lovely anecdote. Got a good chuckle out of me for sure :)

tk-421
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Posts: 3,432 Advanced user
    I hate how people mix up Australian and British accents. They sound NOTHING alike, and I don't want to be associated with them D:
    76561197996992409.png
  • JCDJCD Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Posts: 141
    But most Australians have British roots :P
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below)Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Posts: 1,669 Advanced user
    JCD wrote: »

Hell, they still got the Queen on their money! ;)
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    tk-421
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Posts: 3,432 Advanced user
    Still don't sound alike.
    76561197996992409.png
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Posts: 1,037
    I'll admit that when I first started playing I thought that UWE was an Australian company. Hugh is the most prominent member of the dev team.
    if it keeps on raining the levee's going to break
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below)Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Posts: 1,669 Advanced user
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Still don't sound alike.

You are at stage one. Admit it!
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    NO! I WILL NOT SUBMIT!
    76561197996992409.png
  • JCDJCD Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Posts: 141
    edited July 2013
    Just googled 92% have british roots you can't deny it!

Edit: sorry that was European roots
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,781 Advanced user
    Just googled 92% have british roots you can't deny it!

Edit: sorry that was European roots
    If we go back far enuf, we'd end up in Africa :P

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

Ghosthree3delta78SolidSpider
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Members Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Posts: 368 Advanced user
    confused with uwe boll . european, video game (movies)

:p
    tk-421KwisatzHaderach
  • CrushaKCrushaK Members, NS2 Playtester Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Posts: 1,182 Advanced user
    Someone actually confused my slightly German accent for an Australian one in the game once.
    Suggestions:
    Tech Path of Hive actually upgrades the Hive itself
    Give Gorges telepathic control over their Bait Ball for Overlord-style commanding of Babblers

And please allow to turn rooms into emergency-lit or dark versions if infestations grows over an unbuilt or damaged power node socket.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Members Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Posts: 657
    They thought an Australian accent was British?

They thought England was in Europe?

;-)
  • ellnicellnic Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Posts: 915 Advanced user
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Hell, they still got the Queen on their money! ;)

And the union jack incorporated into their flag
    Brb, committing sudoku.
    76561197996992409.png
    shriikeSide1Bu2Rnz9
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Members Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Posts: 627
    Someone once told me out of the blue that Tetris was made by Russians

I kept it light, but my real feelings at the time where to ask him why he thought that was important
    dragonmithSolidSpider
  • dragonmithdragonmith Members, Reinforced - Diamond Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Posts: 429 Fully active user
    New Zealand is either British, or if the subject thinks they are knowledgeable AU.

BTW: anyone ever play on the New Zealand servers?
    Howser is da BEST!
  • amoralamoral Members Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Posts: 1,331 Advanced user
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    They thought an Australian accent was British?

They thought England was in Europe?

;-)

wot are you on about? risk taught me everythomg I will ever need to know about geography.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Posts: 4,381 Advanced user
    Brb, committing sudoku.
    if you do you will NOT be back. :D
    NS2
    Old/resigned Dutch Translation Lead. Give feedback about the translation, or help improve by clicking: Current NS2 Dutch translation project. Dutch players apply!
    NS2 Server Maintenance Manual
    WorkshopBackup Manual (WSB Server)
    Ingame: DCDarkling
    'DCDs Steam Workshop', for your NS2 X-Hairs and Viewmodel Weapon mods
    Viewmodels are the ones you hold in your hand, not the one shown in the world!

Old NS2 Stuff:
    Marine Commander Guide NS2
    Alien Commander Guide NS2
    NS2 Mentor Program
    Old NS1 stuff:
    'Infested Pack v0.6' for models & props
    Darklings Guide to Commanding Version 1.001
    Brb, committing sudoku.

Wrong one Darkling :P

• BensonBenson Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Posts: 1,296 Advanced user
    In 'Merica, all you other goofy nations sound alike.
    If we are to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are. - Capt. Jean Luc Picard
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Posts: 4,983 mod
    Benson wrote: »
    There are two types of people in the world
    'Murican's
    Non 'Murican's
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Members Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Posts: 657
    BlitzThose wrote: »
    Last time I went to Australia at customs I was asked If I had a criminal record to which I replied "I did not realise that was still a requirement" lets just say that 1 strip search later I realised that was a bad idea...
    That joke was funny the first time I heard it.

... and every time since. :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Posts: 4,381 Advanced user
    Brb, committing sudoku.

Wrong one Darkling :P

/facepalms.

bad BAD memory.
    NS2
    Old/resigned Dutch Translation Lead. Give feedback about the translation, or help improve by clicking: Current NS2 Dutch translation project. Dutch players apply!
    NS2 Server Maintenance Manual
    WorkshopBackup Manual (WSB Server)
    Ingame: DCDarkling
    'DCDs Steam Workshop', for your NS2 X-Hairs and Viewmodel Weapon mods
    Viewmodels are the ones you hold in your hand, not the one shown in the world!

Old NS2 Stuff:
    Marine Commander Guide NS2
    Alien Commander Guide NS2
    NS2 Mentor Program
    Old NS1 stuff:
    'Infested Pack v0.6' for models & props
    Darklings Guide to Commanding Version 1.001
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call?Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Posts: 3,191 Fully active user
    Benson wrote: »

The rest of us are able to distinguish at least some of your US regional accents, meanwhile you lot can't tell the difference between UK, AU, NZ, SA or non natives speaking English, let alone any of the regional accents within these countries/groups. That's pretty shameful IMO!
    For all your gorge busting needs.
    It is very strange how some1 who spend so much time makeing videos to help mans, can fall and take miror image of dark ages bourgeoisie, outdated set of belifs
    How True.