How in the **PINK UNICORN** is fade played now?

JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
edited June 2013 in New Player Forum
Title says it all.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've edited your title, because we do not accept that language here. Please be more courteous in future, this is a warning.

Fade movement has changed. You get blink right away. Best way to use fade now, it to set off a blink for a split second to gain momentum, then jump and keep jumping to preserve momentum. You will find fades are actually much faster than before.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's easy enough to learn to travel as fade, as Obraxis already explained. What is vastly different however, is combat. It's obviously still new, and I doubt anyone could honestly claim that they've figured out the fade combat. Hopefully combat mod will help that process once it has been adapted for NS 2.1.
  • JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I've edited your title, because we do not accept that language here. Please be more courteous in future, this is a warning.

Fade movement has changed. You get blink right away. Best way to use fade now, it to set off a blink for a split second to gain momentum, then jump and keep jumping to preserve momentum. You will find fades are actually much faster than before.

I'm not arguing the warning or anything, but I've seen people use obscenity all over the forum. If that's the case then it's not obvious.

Either way, thanks for the advice.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    You're just as easy to kill when you stop moving. So like said above, keep jumping for momentum, preferable with your strafe keys. It's a good idea to hold duck in combat, but using duck just to move around the map has it's benefits as well
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    edited June 2013
    Fades now have 'automatic' max movespeed around the map at all times, pretty much. Right click to blink, and before impacting the ground, hold your spacebar. This will "Queue" a bunnyhop that preserves 100% of your momentum, and then when in midair again, release and hold down the spacebar yet again. This will queue the next bunnyhop. Repeat indefinitely to preserve 100% of your movement speed with no penalties, caveats, or requirements. The only way to lose speed is to actually impact map geometry or fail to bunnyhop (and by this, i mean to fail to hit your 2-3 second window to queue your next bunnyhop).

This is the implementation of "Skill Based" movement.

For combat, the skill ceiling has been drastically reduced, but more or less play like an NS1 Fade. Utilize blink heavily, blink --> swipe --> blink , repeat ad infinitum. Pretty much. Use the auto-queued bunny-hopping for mobility when you can, and for map-wide transit.

-Colt
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In combat, you have to be very careful not to overcommit because this time around you will end up without energy to run away if you need to. Also, Colt explained it all, except for a few more tricks with the new shadowstep and the fact that blinking a few more times will get you even more speed. Don't overspend energy, though.
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    Think like a retarded bunny. Blink to start and then never stop hopping.

Why was so wrong with b249 fade? =(
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zali wrote: »

Nothing, it was changed for no reason at all. I've yet to get a reason out of anyone other than "it had to be changed because the rest of the game was changed"

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Mattk50 wrote: »

Nothing, it was changed for no reason at all. I've yet to get a reason out of anyone other than "it had to be changed because the rest of the game was changed"

Lower skill floor
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter

It was stupid skilless spam shift unseeable boringness.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    I liked the old fade movement and was highly skeptical of the changes, but I've come to like the new fade as well. I think the main goal was to lower the skill floor and make it easier for casual and greenies to move around effectively, at which it succeeded imo. The problem is that new people have like zero tooltips or indications in game on how to use the new fade. Hence, these kind of threads still pop up.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Neoken wrote: »
    I liked the old fade movement and was highly skeptical of the changes, but I've come to like the new fade as well. I think the main goal was to lower the skill floor and make it easier for casual and greenies to move around effectively, at which it succeeded imo. The problem is that new people have like zero tooltips or indications in game on how to use the new fade. Hence, these kind of threads still pop up.

The fade movement failed if it was meant to lower the skill floor. good luck sticking to jetpackers the to similar effectiveness, and newbies now die extremely easily due to running out of energy.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Mattk50 wrote: »

Because b249 was op.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    b250 is even more op, then. Much easier to run away, much easier to control in combat, much easier to hit jetpackers even though they were buffed. I really don't understand what's the issue with the new Fade you guys are talking about. It's better and easier than before.