Server horror

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    ye there is million of 16 18 20 22 28 and even 32 servers out there, but this post is about how 1 server, yes ONE server hosted by tom is leeching all of your so called the epic 6v6´s?
    it can only hold 40 people so do you really expect your smaller server experience being improoved by this server being down? "they leech the players from the smaller sized servers"

more can join in on the fun, more can engage together and use the buddy system to take down single or multiple targets, on a server this of this size you are never safe! that is what i love about it, you have so much to do and there is never a dull moment when the commander rely on you run by yourself and build 4 powernodes and 4 rts but pause and run back half map to defend something and run half the map back to just keep mouse1 pressed in for 6 minutes traight...SHIT GOES DOWN and you better be prepared whither you are in their base or even your own!

I am in no way telling you that you can't play on 40 man servers, that you can't enjoy them, or you can't have them. I'm glad you've found NS2 fun, and are likely to get your friends to buy the game and increase our population. That's great!

But dude, you have literally NO CLUE how the game works in 6v6, based on this ridiculous post.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    ah, according to him "wanting to play the upcoming biodome map" in this post forums.unknownworlds.com/profile/reactions/182840/RadimaX?reaction=abuse
    was conidered abusive comment...i just returned the favor
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I am in no way telling you that you can't play on 40 man servers, that you can't enjoy them, or you can't have them. I'm glad you've found NS2 fun, and are likely to get your friends to buy the game and increase our population. That's great!

But dude, you have literally NO CLUE how the game works in 6v6, based on this ridiculous post.

your right i have never played 6v6 or even wanted to join a server with max players of 12 players, i dont want to play anoything below 22-24 players, more is happening and more stuff is going on around the map and there is always things to do. you can find 6 people on your team fun, i can find 18 people on my team fun. thats why its good that there is atleast a ha handfull or even less servers that can support larger groups of players so every one gets to join in on the fun.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

your right i have never played 6v6 or even wanted to join a server with max players of 12 players, i dont want to play anoything below 22-24 players, more is happening and more stuff is going on around the map and there is always things to do. you can find 6 people on your team fun, i can find 18 people on my team fun. thats why its good that there is atleast a ha handfull or even less servers that can support larger groups of players so every one gets to join in on the fun.

So let me get this right, you've no idea how it plays because you've never played it, but you don't want to play it to at least find out whether the reason you think you don't want to play it is actually valid?

Here's a tip: Try something before you argue against it. I guarantee you that all the players in this thread who say they dislike 20, 22, 24+ playercount servers have tried them. I know I have. That gives us a basis for our opinions. In my case, that opinion is that 24p is a boring ridiculous spamfest. But you know what? I have played enough 20-24p games to arrive at that conclusion, and I went in very open minded. Large servers can, however, be great for practising life-forms or warming up before a proper game. In that vid that ScardyBob posted (oh God, people really played that?!), you could see DAAMZ from the legendary snails doing rather well(TM) as fade. I would be interested to hear his opinions of that game: to me it looked like a great way to hone the movement and aiming skills, just like combat mod is, as a warm up in a game that doesn't matter against opponents who don't seem to care.

If you've never played in a comp game or public 6 v 6 ENSL gather, for example, then you're missing out on something, and it's sad because you have no clue what it is you're missing out on. NO CLUE. It's not a case of nothing going on in the map, waiting around, no combat: a good 6v6 game of NS2 is intense, fast-paced (NB not the same thing as spamfest), combat-filled and highly strategic.
    i played in the 40 man server 20 seconds after it started, i usually dont enjoy myself until the 3 minute mark when there is 25 people or 5 minutes when its 40 persons in the server.
    so ive been in 6 player environments but there is nothing serious going on then, just people messnig around and everyone dont strive to play gathers every night with random opponents super competativly. i rather jump in or out of public games whenever i have time or feel like it, thats why im glad there is finally a reliably 40 man server up
  • Tom_BmxTom_Bmx Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185331Members
    edited June 2013

So let me get this right, you've no idea how it plays because you've never played it, but you don't want to play it to at least find out whether the reason you think you don't want to play it is actually valid?

Here's a tip: Try something before you argue against it. I guarantee you that all the players in this thread who say they dislike 20, 22, 24+ playercount servers have tried them. I know I have. That gives us a basis for our opinions. In my case, that opinion is that 24p is a boring ridiculous spamfest. But you know what? I have played enough 20-24p games to arrive at that conclusion, and I went in very open minded. Large servers can, however, be great for practising life-forms or warming up before a proper game. In that vid that ScardyBob posted (oh God, people really played that?!), you could see DAAMZ from the legendary snails doing rather well(TM) as fade. I would be interested to hear his opinions of that game: to me it looked like a great way to hone the movement and aiming skills, just like combat mod is, as a warm up in a game that doesn't matter against opponents who don't seem to care.

If you've never played in a comp game or public 6 v 6 ENSL gather, for example, then you're missing out on something, and it's sad because you have no clue what it is you're missing out on. NO CLUE. It's not a case of nothing going on in the map, waiting around, no combat: a good 6v6 game of NS2 is intense, fast-paced (NB not the same thing as spamfest), combat-filled and highly strategic.

But this is pub play where talking about, a pub 6v6 game is quite boring.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    i played in the 40 man server 20 seconds after it started, i usually dont enjoy myself until the 3 minute mark when there is 25 people or 5 minutes when its 40 persons in the server.
    so ive been in 6 player environments but there is nothing serious going on then, just people messnig around and everyone dont strive to play gathers every night with random opponents super competativly. i rather jump in or out of public games whenever i have time or feel like it, thats why im glad there is finally a reliably 40 man server up
    Then your team was doing it wrong. With less team members the game can be more intense than the 40 man server, yet maintain good performance.

6v6 can be too intense for me and I prefer 8v8.

• MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Scatter wrote: »
    Next minute new players complaining about performance thanks to high player servers giving them the wrong idea. Thanks server host.

How is this spam?

Yep, don't cry about unfair tags since me telling bicsum/dePara to stop trolling server operators was flagged as abuse by someone. You expect small mindedness on game forums and it's usually delivered without fail.

edited June 2013

Good, then all of these players can go find their 16 player servers and stop bitching about 20+ servers. Hell, we haven't killed the game yet last time I checked. Perhaps someone will start another 60 man server and we can blame the Kennedy assassination on that as well.

And as far as not knowing how 6v6 works. You're right, I haven't *played* 6v6 but I watched plenty of matches and it looked boring as hell to me. Sorry, but that's just me. I've really tried to not mention my opinion of small servers and have actually tried encouraging people to fill them up as well. Yet if we're going to pull out the "we tried it and don't like it what about you" card, then I can give you my opinion of those servers if you like. I stopped watching competitive matches in fact because I just don't get how that setup appeals to anyone really.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    lol...

This thread has gone on for over 4 pages and the only real point you all got across was that 'some people like large servers and some people like small servers'

What is the point of arguing it further.
    "With less team members the game can be more intense than the 40 man server, yet maintain good performance"

i dont play 40 man server becouse i want the best performance, i play it becosue i want the best gameplay experience and some get that from relying on 4 guys and a commander to build shit for 30 minute, and some get that from 40 guys running and fucking shit up in every single room possible of any map. pls tell me how building extractors by yourself more intense than 40 man server? whats so intense about it?
    Also, for those talking about imbalance on the bigger servers, here's the 24 player take, straight from the horses mouth:

(All) Admin: have the aliens been winning much guys?
    (All) Mekel: so-so
    (All) POPOLITO: its been half an half
    (All) Mekel: fair games all round :)

Popolito had been on my server since before I went to bed, and was on there when I got up, if he was literally on there that whole time, not only would that be hilarious but he'd certainly have a pretty decent sample size to speak of. Shocking that they did such a good job with the BT that they even balanced for higher server pops. Granted, I'm not speaking for larger then 24, but I wouldn't doubt the alien handicap has much to do with people still figuring them out and losing on them more often. When I played (yes I do actually play sometimes dePara) the other night, aliens were having a hell of a time with the new movement. I wouldn't bother jumping on a large server right this moment and screaming about how imbalanced they are. Besides, you guys should all be on your 16 player servers promoting those anyway since they're that important to you.
    joshhh wrote: »
    lol...

This thread has gone on for over 4 pages and the only real point you all got across was that 'some people like large servers and some people like small servers'

Because people are still making asinine comments about how larger servers are killing the game. Do I need more reason then that? People that have been around these forums know I'll rise to the occasion anytime anyone starts mis-representing their own opinions as fact when it comes to large servers.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    As some "serveradmins" didnt know what "tickrate" and "balance" are for, please close this thread. Cause its going to nowhere.
    Im sure another "admin" is "helping" the community soon with an "bigger is better 60 slot server".
    edited June 2013
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/273681/199.192.205.186:27015

Is that tickrate?

And is "half and half" balanced?

And one can only hope there's more people out there willing to open up any kind of servers rather then trolling the ones who have on the forums.

And you are right, the thread won't go anywhere as long as there are still people like you who'd rather put down what they don't like or want rather then just simply accept the fact that sometimes people prefer other things, and that doesn't make it a BAD THING.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @Mavick

Do you host a 32 slot servers?
    No
    Did you hack the server.exe for making this possible?
    No
    Did your server has Performance issues?
    No

This server has performance issues:
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/280329/86.166.135.101:27015
    And this server is the topic of this thread.

So, please stay on topic. Every1 know you had an awesome server.
    dePARA wrote: »
    @Mavick

Do you host a 32 slot servers?
    No
    Did you hack the server.exe for making this possible?
    No
    Did your server has Performance issues?
    No

This server has performance issues:
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/280329/86.166.135.101:27015
    And this server is the topic of this thread.

So, please stay on topic. Every1 know you had an awesome server.

Actually the topic was about a 40 player server if you're trying to play topic police. And that topic was broadened a long time ago and not just by me, so I'll discuss as I please.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    servers like that are the reason for half the "bad performance" threads.
    if you want action and chaos a 20-24slot server delivers. without tikrates like that...

players that like playing on high slot servers arent to blame, its server admins offering more slots than their hardware can handle.
    edited June 2013
    i was impressed the avarage ticrate was 30 all the way up to 40 players just like it should be!
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/280329/86.166.135.101:27016/?date=06/25/13

the game holds huge potential, and you should not have to pick either playersize or performance, we could have them BOTH
    if the the so called lag or basicly high ping americans are getting on a united kingdom server on the other side of the world is the only credible argument you have against large servers then i cant wait for tom to get his hand on some piece of game code so he can optemize everyones gameplay experience and support playercount up to the hundreds!
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2013
    if the the so called lag or basicly high ping americans are getting on a united kingdom server on the other side of the world is the only credible argument you have against large servers then i cant wait for tom to get his hand on some piece of game code so he can optemize everyones gameplay experience and support playercount up to the hundreds!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/htc-one/69494d1369540413t-ending-menu-key-argument-good-hopefully-this_is_madness-11728.jpg
    jk, it would be great if it worked with the engine. :)
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    We stacked the aliens :-) They *can* win! (server was stable and lag free)
    1024x576.resizedimage
    1024x576.resizedimage
    i dont play 40 man server becouse i want the best performance, i play it becosue i want the best gameplay experience and some get that from relying on 4 guys and a commander to build shit for 30 minute, and some get that from 40 guys running and fucking shit up in every single room possible of any map. pls tell me how building extractors by yourself more intense than 40 man server? whats so intense about it?

READ MY POST ffs. If you haven't played 6 v 6, please stop posting complete nonsense about it. You fear these things, but they don't exist. YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT 6 v 6 PLAY SO JUST STOP IT.

@Mavick: don't hate me for my opinions of large servers, that's just not the game I enjoy. I'm not trying to tell you that you can't enjoy it, I'm defending the position of smaller servers against the onslaught of complete and utter garbage being written about them by people who have never even played on them.

The argument stands that *at least some* people join larger servers only because they are populated and therefore appear high on their server list, and also that larger servers are far more resistant to emptying due to a few players leaving.
    Some undoubtedly join larger servers because that's what they want to play, and that's absolutely fine.

However, there is a valid point that if no-one populates a smaller server, then fewer people who might have preferred to play on that won't actually join it, thereby reducing the likelihood of another person who prefers that size joining, too. In that way, larger servers suck more of the gaming population out of commission for joining 16-18 slot servers.

Actually I think that's a moot point. The 16 slot Warrior Nation server has been full every single night and throughout most days too. This is partly due to the admins, who are very decent and friendly guys, and the community there has really taken off in the last few weeks. Another example would be the HBZ servers, which can usually be relied on for a good game. dePara knows what he's talking about.

Whatever the server size: there ARE people out there who are willing to sit in a server to populate it (which happens quickly at any server size), and for them I think we should all be thankful.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    lol...

This.
    But other factors do need to be considered.

Especially given the influx of new players.
    I just finished a 24 player server where the tickrate held at under 6 the majority of the game.

I said "If the server owner is in here you need to seriously lower your playercount, your server is dying."
    He said "Why? i dont notice anything?" ....

... so i had to verbally explain to the 10 rookies on my team that the "crappy networking" wasn't the game, but because someone opened up a listen server with a 24 playercount.
    :facepalm:

High playercounts need to be carefully decided upon based on your available server hardware - please - for the sake of the community and player retention.
    The argument of finding it "fun" is endlessly subjective and pointless to debate over.

Edit: Keep this thread friendly, non aggressive, and cease the post flagging.
    I have a hard time believing dePara knows much that matters with the way he represents himself on the forums and the way he stalks all of my threads with ignorant comments. But as to the rest of what you're saying, believe me, I don't hate anyone for their opinions, not in the least. I only hate it when people present their opinions as fact. The reason I called you out on the "don't knock it til you try it" is because I did have an interest in the smaller playercount as I considered all options to make my server the best all around I could, so I watched some of the gameplay without actually taking part. I'm sure that goes more both ways then you would expect in terms of people from bigger servers playing on smaller ones. And to be frank man, most of the comments about smaller counts were to do with not as much going on, and when you think about it, it's mathematically impossible for *as much* to be going on in a smaller server vs a bigger one.
  • kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
    what are you kids crying about? 40 man server is funner than a 16 man server any day.

People who love the 12,16,20,24 server get so defensive when people voice their opinion on why its boring. Then you guys go to a complete bitch fest of whats better. Servers with more people will always attract people.. Can't you idiots get that through your thick skull?
    You clearly didn't read hardly any of the thread or have any idea of what's been discussed. Nothing pisses me off more on forums then people coming in running their mouths in that manner.
    edited June 2013
    Well Ive played just about every type of mod and server combination possible, whilst I don't call myself particularly skilled I am by far a n00b or retarded player. I even ran an NS2 server in the early days (and stopped due to the silly requirements to run one - the same box ran a TF2 vanilla, DODs and prophunt server all with good tick rates yet couldn't run NS2 to my satisfaction on 16 player!)

6v6 is bad for pubs IMHO. Pre 250 aliens had an advantage in that it only took a couple of people on marines to not know what they were doing and they were hamstrung very early on. Post 250 aliens have the same issue now. 8v8 had a bit more slack and was generally playable. 12v12 was a good game on pubs. If aliens lost they lost whereas the only failing was marine endings - they could be turtled for quite some time as 11 A3W3 marines still packed a punch. Still, a concerted 4 gorge 4 onos push on power sorted that out quickly (with some added lerk gas).

I play for fun, I help people where I can, learn new things when I can and try just about everything to see what it is like. However, I have ZERO interest in comp play though. One thing I don't do though is railroad my opinion on people. I cannot see why people are slagging off new ideas such as this 40 player server when what this game needs is more, sure it isn't perfect but slagging off isn't the way. As a new player 6v6 would put me off FAR more than a 20v20. I have played on HBZ and it is a very unforgiving place for people who might not know EVERY single "should do that". I play on YOCLAN too (not a 6v6 and is that a bad server?). I play combat, ive had a go with MvM once (I play on mavicks server too, many times in fact). All are good in their own way.

If all that was available was 6v6 then this game would go way of the dodo rapidly.
    Couldnt see any of the servers tonight so i played pn mavicks instead. Good load of games on there.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    *snip * Removed inflammatory and name-calling post. - Ironhorse
  • ICha0sIICha0sI Join Date: 2002-06-13 Member: 763Members
    I used to play the 24 man servers when I was new, I didn't really know better about the balance though. It's much more fun IMO to play the 14-16 player servers