New Docking

Comments

• RaynreValenceRaynreValence Join Date: 2013-06-24 Member: 185687Members
    edited June 2013
    Howser wrote: »
    RjbpGQu.jpg

I can get behind this map. Consequently, if the developers have their hearts set on a four techpoint map, I would suggest that they work on balancing out the opposite side of the map, like so.
    (Please excuse to crappy quality mockup)
    Tfrr7lH.jpg
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    RjbpGQu.jpg

I can get behind this map. Consequently, if the developers have their hearts set on a four techpoint map, I would suggest that they work on balancing out the opposite side of the map, like so.
    Tfrr7lH.jpg

i could get behind the first, except locker is still too op. the second would need some work, the issue being you've left the issue of cafe and bar being kinda outta the way, and instead tacked on the issue of the area between gen and docking being out of the way too. but having a certain symmetry makes sense.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Nice, @howser .. i think thats my favorite iteration so far, well done.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Thanks Iron horse. I'd be up for doing a prototype/rough version of this myself. Obviously, I would needs Dux's permission before trying this at its his work, and as a mapper I personally cannot think of anything worse than something butchering my baby. If nothing else It would be an interesting experiment into ns2 level design.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Tfrr7lH.jpg
    Two cafeterias for the extra hungry marines!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2013
    that is a rather LARGE facility though.
    howsers looks like it could be extremely good, someone should whip up a draft and put it on the workshop.
    And maybe flip east wing would be prefferable, to have to go backwards in order to get a res tower, is quite.. odd.
  • SanthoranSanthoran Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184809Members
    Howsers idea seems pretty well, that should make it a map worth playing, currently the 249 docking just isnt voted anymore on the pubs i play. Not got 1 docking game in the last 3 days- that says everything about 249 docking "favor".
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Howser's idea doesn't look bad, but to me it doesn't look like docking either. Something about the point layout, despite still having 5 techs, feels like veil to me.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Santhoran wrote: »
    Howsers idea seems pretty well, that should make it a map worth playing, currently the 249 docking just isnt voted anymore on the pubs i play. Not got 1 docking game in the last 3 days- that says everything about 249 docking "favor".

Played for the first time in a week, and the map cycle (determined by a vote) was Docking -> Tram -> Docking -> Summit -> Mineshaft -> Docking.

We can all be anecdotal here.

• FleshmaulerFleshmauler Join Date: 2013-06-04 Member: 185480Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Hey guys, I only read the first two pages, but I'm feeling that there is a lot of hate for the new docking :/ I've played quite a few matches on it and it is a great map that encourages marines to do something other than camp for once (great for pubs realizing what they should be doing and great for comps to continue to do it).

Every time I play on this map there are usually several conflicts going on at once on this map instead of big stupid exo/arc trains rolling through - creating a pretty fun game imo. Since it has 4 tech points spread rather evenly it fixes the issue most pubbies have with viel (takes a long time to get to one side of the map to tech up) and it forces people to engage a tech-point to own a tech-point instead of the common "Alright we have 3 rts, 2 techs, lets sit in base and wait for arcs/exo/aliens to roflstomp"

In all honestly whenever I go on this map as marine I went to stability or maintenance and ended the game. If I died I got someone to come with me the next time and then we ended the game together - its too hard to do that now since northern side of the map favors aliens in terms of pillars, but is so easy for marines to access; creating a constant bloodbath.

There are only 2 issues with the map as I see it-

#1) From a game play view Landing Pad is pointless and just makes cafe and bar hard to hold as marines - it would be nice to have it and/or cafe made smaller.

#2) The only thing wrong with the change to the map is that it doesn't feel like we're "docking" anything. From the concept art it looks something like a small airport - but now it has a lot of that feeling lost for the sake of gameplay. It's not a bad compromise, but a lot of the rooms just feel like "alright we're going to want the marines to get to the rt quick, but we're going to put these, these, these and those there to give aliens a bit of advantage in this conflict."

A lot of #2 is seen in courtyard; I honestly didn't recognize it as a courtyard; the boxes there are too big to be shipped into any of the rooms; and the planes that we see in game can't land there - so how and why the hell are those crates there? Well they're there to provide amazing cover for skulks. You want to attack northern side of the map and kill our rts; we'll have 1 skulk parasite you and your friend and run around the crates and structurally redundant pillars until back up comes and then push into bar/cafe and laugh at you walking through landing pad.

Those are my only two complaints and I do hope that the devs didn't take so much flame close to heart; I really didn't like the proposed changes in 450, until I played around 40 hours of BT, now vanilla skulk feels.... bad...

Also this map is godly fun in BT, making me believe that people drawing sketches and ideas of ways to change it are wasting their time when 450 comes out :D

tldr; its a good map, landpad/cafe need minor change, bit of identity crisis in some rooms
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Therius wrote: »
    Santhoran wrote: »

Played for the first time in a week, and the map cycle (determined by a vote) was Docking -> Tram -> Docking -> Summit -> Mineshaft -> Docking.

We can all be anecdotal here.

to be fair, theres at least one big reason why people would vote for a new map besides people liking it. and there's only one real reason people wouldn't vote to play a new map too.

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Threw together a Docking with Landing Pad as starting location just as a concept test with a heavily butchered Launch Control from Descent (I am not a mapper).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156170712

Have pugged and pubbed on it and it was pretty good.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah , Generator is missing that third entrance, i always feel like im running into a wall when there should be a door somewhere. Then I remember there only two south entrances.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Docking is one of my fav maps, however the original seemed more enjoyable to play. there were more options.

Really liked the cafe hive.

Sucks how you always start in generator as alien. You have to rush lockers or u risk losing the game.

East Wing doesnt play as well as before. There use to be that big wall you could use to hide behind from bullets. And then run to the escalator/broken glass to heal. man, awesome map!

Also, in the new docking, at east wing, if you're running from departures. You turn right as a skulk, theres this little corridor that you can hide in, but its a dead end corridor. Should be open to u can escape and bite from behind.

Or if there was a vent that u could pop out from/bile bomb from starting at east wing entrance (marine side),

After you go up the stairs as a marine into east, if there was a vent to the right.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ironman wrote: »
    Sucks how you always start in generator as alien.

Ummmmmmmmm..... pretty sure this isn't correct!?
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    East Wing doesnt play as well as before. There use to be that big wall you could use to hide behind from bullets. And then run to the escalator/broken glass to heal. man, awesome map!

I totally agree. East Wing was always a cataclysm of alien and marine fighting. Now it seems too marine heavy with the open hallways.

Just thinking about all this makes me nostalgic. I personally liked the old Docking better.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nostalgic, about the newer east wing, please, stairs to node tiny room pls.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    *beats zombie thread into submission *
    And stay down!

But yeah I don't want to spoil anything about ca-oops.. That was close.
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    edited August 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not...

IronHorse wrote: »
    But yeah I don't want to spoil anything about ca-oops..
    Never heard of ca-oops. Perhaps you mean cafeteria? ;)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Old docking had rooms that had a purpose. New docking is a huge spiderweb network of corridors and bridges and cramped little spaces and odd turns. Ew.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Renoh wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not...

I could be actually, I don't even know what's going on D:
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Cafe techpoint is making a return. Dun dun duuuuuun!

NOOOOOOO atm that i get used to it ;D . Do also the vents return?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am glad it is. Veil as a 4tp works. On docking it just did not seem to fit.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation

Yay, caf has felt out of place in the current version.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Im glad to hear when something doesnt work out the map team is willing to keep on trying!
  • SychoSycho Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186642Members

So does this mean you're also addressing the part of Docking where Aliens can just skulk rush to Terminal in ten seconds and win the game ever single time?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    The Problem with the Good ol' terminal rush.
    Unfixable
    it's part of the maps core design, without courtyard, there is no 10 second base rush but.. BUT... without courtyard, docking becomes a sillified summit
    ZZZZZ
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anyone have the link the version of docking that has the landing pad spawn for marines and uses the landing pad from last stand? I played it on one of the monash servers awhile back and wanted to try it again in a pug or something.
  • zebroezebroe Join Date: 2013-08-15 Member: 186878Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    aliens can never hold cafe lol