State of Development: May 2013 - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Hugh
    If you have the time to type it, we probably have the time to read it. (I sure will make the time).
    Also news posts may get new or old players back in the game if they read changes they like.

I like the greyscale picture better then the concept but I guess a lot of that is due to performance. I guess it would sink if you shoved more plants into the area?
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Chubs wrote: »
    With the amount of updates and work you continue to do on this game, I feel like I should be paying a monthly fee!

Buy a new copy of NS2 every couple of months to give away to someone :p

• ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    @Hugh
    If you have the time to type it, we probably have the time to read it. (I sure will make the time).
    Ditto -
    Most often Hugh your the life line of information for us, so the more you want to ramble the more it helps us understand whats behind the door. I think we all gather that a day of work is a day of work and not every day is "amazing" - but knowing what's floating around in the office is interesting.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I agree with the above posters whole heartedly.

As a retail manager I find that keeping my crew up to date on the mundane day to day stuff very valuable.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    By new weapons they means the granades and gorge webs, tried the webs yesterday on the ZM server that has 44 players, but you need 3 hives for it :P think there is more useful things to research by that time than little webs :) but the more you guys add the better, marines should get a faster shooting and reloading smg with 45 clip size but more running speed.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    ezekel wrote: »
    I'm just praying for performance improvements before this year is over ^:)^
    There will definitely be noticeable performance improvements before this year is over, and hopefully a good deal sooner then that.
    @Hugh
    I like the greyscale picture better then the concept but I guess a lot of that is due to performance. I guess it would sink if you shoved more plants into the area?
    That concept was actually an older version of it, it was updated to have more plants, and also some of the architecture was redesigned. Also, the in game screenshots are also lacking in plants/grass/trees at the moment because that stuff is still being modeled. We are hoping to be able to pull off some really full, lush looking areas of foliage but we will have to keep an eye on the performance side of things, of course.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    PLAAAAANTS.

Mendasp, take notes.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    rantology wrote: »
    PLAAAAANTS.

just missing the zombies
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    PLAAAAANTS.

Mendasp, take notes.

*cough* atrium *cough*
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Fern gully looks great. Map looks to be very out of the norm.

I have to ask though is ns2_discovery ever going to be made or was it canned? I saw the art in the book and was extremely excited for it. A lab with aliens and marines is classic.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Discovery is after Biodome, or if the Devs are ninja's, with Biodome
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Asraniel wrote: »
    So much feedback on so little code ;-) thats why open source is so powerful:-)
    I dream about the potential of this..

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    PLAAAAANTS.

Mendasp, take notes.
    LOOK AT ATRIUM IN 249.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    Unknown Worlds does more for NS2 every month than most multimillion dollar companies do for their already released games in their entire lifetime.

most game developers don't play their own game, it's just a job; not a passion

Yes they do. It's very very rare you come across someone who makes games for a living and does not play their own game.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This update was good, it got right down to the information that fans care about. April's SotG felt like more of a PR piece with all the stats and summarizing every single thing that happened during the month. Anyone who's interested enough to read these is probably already aware of the older news posts.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Keep the monthly updates coming Hugh. Good stuff.
  • bewildered_skulkbewildered_skulk Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185450Members
    I'm Shaw its Fantastic for the few people who have extremely powerful gaming computers but i really think someone should make some big performance improvements so that the rest of us can actually play. I've got 8GB ram, Intel core i3, Intel HD graphics and it still keeps freezing!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Even if this game was optimised, there is no way in hell you'd be able to play it on 60fps with an i3 and onboard graphics.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    I I've got 8GB ram, Intel core i3, Intel HD graphics and it still keeps freezing!
    hey @bewildered_skulk :
    Minimum requirements are a dedicated graphics card (just like for almost any other game) not Intel HD graphics, sorry :-\
    Good news is, cards are cheap, i just picked up an Amd 7770 for 84 bucks today!
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    PLAAAAANTS.

As a marine, I am trained to kill anything that looks like it might be alive. Plants definitely qualify.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I tried ns2 on my laptop with hd3000. I got about 20fps with minimum fps of 5 at 800x600. Not playable.
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    PLAAAAANTS.

As a marine, I am trained to kill anything that looks like it might be alive. Plants definitely qualify.
    "God has a hard on for Marines, because we kill *everything* we see. " - FMJ

Seconded.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    james888 wrote: »
    I tried ns2 on my laptop with hd3000. I got about 20fps with minimum fps of 5 at 800x600. Not playable.

I don't think that laptop would run many games to be honest
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    btw still reading but, I love the color style of biodome.. gives me that halo kind of feel, idk I like the color style

Literally every time I Map Test I comment on this fact. I gotta stop though cuz people are now laughing at me and/or think i'm nuts haha.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm looking forward to another content update =)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm Shaw its Fantastic for the few people who have extremely powerful gaming computers but i really think someone should make some big performance improvements so that the rest of us can actually play. I've got 8GB ram, Intel core i3, Intel HD graphics and it still keeps freezing!

The problem is on your end. This game has its performance issues, but expecting to run it well on an i3 without a dedicated graphics card is a mistake
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    @Hugh : These posts are great! I think it is definitely worth the time to have one each month. I don't get to play as often as I'd like due to a busy schedule, but it's nice to see the info about development goals and milestones so I know what is happening to some extent. This post along with the on-demand State of the Game: Balance Edition have me very excited about the future of NS2. I can't wait to jump into a game next chance I get.

Thanks Hugh and the rest of UWE for your dedication and indie vigor!
  • KelrathKelrath Join Date: 2013-06-03 Member: 185459Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Love the update of course! Always great to hear what's going on. But I noticed no mention of the organized play system. Is that something still in the works? I would venture to say it's one of the three most important developments going on for the game right now (along with performance and bt).
  • TrustMeImADentistTrustMeImADentist Join Date: 2013-04-27 Member: 185014Members
    Half of the week I only have access to Mac computers, and thus I am reading about this new amazing performance update of LuaJIT, instead of playing it. I promise that I have two accounts that would buy NS2 if you ported it to Macs.

PUUUHHHLLEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEEEE 0:)
  • RevyRevy Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63928Members
    "it is your input now that determines what NS2 will look like in future."

Yet we still have only small rounds I am the only one running the game for 32 man sometimes 34 man and I have people waiting a good hour or two to join the server, along with that the donations I have gained I could buy a couple more servers. People really want to play larger games...UWE needs to to start listening to people and build the game up more and not for this dying "pro" group on NS2