NSL Balance Mod Cup

AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2013 in Competitive Play

The signups for NSL Balance Mod Cup are now open.
With this Cup we want to try to give as much feedback as we can, for the future Balance of NS2.
The Balance Mod is not for fun or a side project of Natural Selection 2, this mod will go live in the near future. So we are given an opportunity here as NS2 community to set the future Balance of NS2.

The feedback we give Sewlek as a community will determine how NS2 will be played in the future.
So we hope that as many Teams take part of this event as possible.

Here you find a link with the balance mod, as well as a full changelog of it.

The discussion and feedback can you find and post here.

Why should my Team take part in this Cup?

Next to the opportunity to take part of future balance of NS2. We want to offer all Teams something in return of playing. With the help of UWE we are proud to announce a random prize for one of the teams taking part in this event and which played all their matches.

UWE will sponsor 6 T-Shirts from their store, which will be given one of the Teams taking part of this Cup. (First and second place are excluded)  So even if your Team is in the last place of this Cup, you are still given the chance of winning something.
This T-Shirts are currently not shipped anywhere outside the EU, so if a Team from a different country will have the luck of winning these, we will make it happen and take the cost for the ship into the EU or anywhere else.

The first and second prize of this event will be announced latest when the signups are closed. But we can assure there will be a prize, the first prize will be money or material prizes.  The second prize NS2 Server hosting.

To join the Cup go on www.ensl.org, go to Agenda -> Click your team name -> Edit(scroll down) -> Contests -> Join NSL Balance Mod Cup Signups.

For all the Casters in NS2.

Our goal for this event is to stream as many games as we can. So if you want to take part in this event, for all the dates or just one day. Please contact me. We need as many Casters or this event as we can get. If you got any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

UPDATE
All week 1 matches can be rescheduled, if the enemy team agrees on a date to play it within the start of the second week of the cup. If the enemy teams disagrees on anytime to play this matches, the team wins which got 6 players online on the fixed time.

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Those dates sadden me greatly.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    This is awesome. Can't wait for this. I'll contact you personally, but regardless, count me in for casting.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    This is gonna be awesome, thanks so much for putting this together Aioros. Hopefully Helix will be able to get involved, if we can't/when we get eliminated I would also potentially be interested in casting... I'll definitely contact you when things become a bit more clear.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    IMO i would not do cash/material prizes for a tournament like this, mainly because of the mod and the nature of how it might be played (I wouldn't be surprised to see tweaks potentially during the tournament even).  If the mod is going to be super finalized and locked down for the tournament then I suppose its alright, its a tough call.  I may be missing some of the other key details regarding this however, so I could be out in left field (again).

I think t-shirts for winners would be cool, IDK how others feel tho.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    This mod updates on the fly, I don't recommend making this for cash. However it'd be a great help to have people play the mod in a 6v6 environment so sewlek can watch!

• GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    afaik aioros contacted sewlek and therell be no updates for the mod during the tournament. (unless its a fix for a bug)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    there will be a prize for the first place; we r still not sure if its material or money in the end.
    since sewlek promised us to give us a stable mod for the cup, i think prizes are a nice motivation for some teams to practise and take part in this cup.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    Dont listen to the cry babies who dont want to have prizes Aioros.

Its always fun to have something to play for even though its something small. Since when has ns2 been completley balanced anyway?
    edited May 2013
    I can ring for a team if anyone needs since I'm not on a team, I consider myself at the level of fatality during his painkiller and unreal era

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezekel
    edited May 2013
    Skuggan wrote: »
    Dont listen to the cry babies who dont want to have prizes Aioros.

Its always fun to have something to play for even though its something small. Since when has ns2 been completley balanced anyway?

It's not that we*I* don't want prizes, it's that people who've had more experience in BT will have an advantage, I've seen only a select few team members consistently playing the mod; not really related to the balance aspect; you can always catch me on BT trying to teach everyone everything even if I completely fail at explaining it though :D sewlek is best at explaining everything.. well because he pretty much made most of it

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    It's not like those team can't practice on it starting straight away...
    wiry wrote: »
    It's not like those team can't practice on it starting straight away...

It's like a team having played a new map for two months, then the league adding it to their rotation and it's the first map that has to be played.. The team playing it for two months will know it inside and out and have an advantage.. so people who've been playing the mod for a long time will have an advantage

Anyway, was just sharing an opinion. I think it's awesome that this is being done, and want to participate in it if anyone is willing to ring me :)
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Seeing as the season just ended I don't think there have been any teams playing it that active.
    Hi everyone, I've made tutorials for the new movement for both beginners and advanced, so I hope they help you out and I recommend giving them a watch: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130369/video-tutorial-balance-testing-skulk-fade-movement-beginner-to-advanced
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    My concern wasn't about balance or people being more experienced with the changes, it was more with regards to bugs... However if sewlek is onboard with bringing a relatively bug free mod by that point, then I think it should be fine.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    My concern wasn't about balance or people being more experienced with the changes, it was more with regards to bugs... However if sewlek is onboard with bringing a relatively bug free mod by that point, then I think it should be fine.
    Andi has been diligent about fixing bugs/balance/other issues with the Balance Mod. The biggest problem is people not reporting them.

There had been some crazy bugs, many of which you wouldnt always discover until specific situations - IE at one point beaconing on a powersurged obs that died would still beacon everyone - you wouldnt notice that expect for a very specific situation, and that single event could be gamechanging.. But seeing how far off this tourney is I dont think it will be a big issue by that point.
    There had been some crazy bugs, many of which you wouldnt always discover until specific situations - IE at one point beaconing on a powersurged obs that died would still beacon everyone - you wouldnt notice that expect for a very specific situation, and that single event could be gamechanging.. But seeing how far off this tourney is I dont think it will be a big issue by that point.

You can set macs to follow an alien and they will follow them regardless of range, and can essentially see where they went without a scan :P (also when they follow you they talk to you as an alien lol, "how may I help you?")
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No software is without those issues and its not like NS2 hasn't had its fair share of rare but game-breaking bugs. The bigger issue is that when they occur, that person doesn't report them or assumes its already 'well-known'.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    we already got 14 Teams signed up for this cup.

update for the cup timings:

we add a new rule for the week 1 games.
    Since its fathers day and some teams asked me to be more flexible with the timings, we gonna add a new rule for the cup.

All week 1 matches can be rescheduled, if the enemy team agrees on a date to play it within the start of the second week of the cup.
    If the enemy teams disagrees on anytime to play this matches, the team wins which got 6 players online on the fixed time.

Since the NS2 competitive community is quit nice about these thinks, i dont think we will have any issues with that new rule for the cup.
    Lets hope we can get more teams into taking part in this cup.
  • vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I don't really see why NS2 cup organizers are so afraid getting matches played during the week. (especially qualifiers) Reschedules are anyway played mostly then and people have time then.
    the issue are australien and US teams.
    Since they got a diffrent timezones.

The rule is know in and teams are able to reschedule matches now.
    edited June 2013

dont forget that first week games are completely flexable to reschedule.
    from the 12 of june till probly 18 of june u can play all your week 1 matches.

If u havnt signed up yet ! go ahead ;)

we got 20 teams already and we hope for MORE !!!
    will ring for any team if necessary, just contact me on steam, high in communication/teamwork/skill and experience in BT; also looking to have a good time trying out the mod in some organized matches
    gonna close the signups soon :>
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    We're in a group with 3 american teams and 1 australian. Why do you hate us Aioros :(
    Mendasp wrote: »
    We're in a group with 3 american teams and 1 australian. Why do you hate us Aioros :(

you need to place more plants mendasp :P
    xDxD
    edited June 2013
    double post :/
    thought this only happens on our page ^^