Pistol-Scripting: Can it be deterred?

CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
It's fairly often now I see somebody wielding the pistol as a secondary shotgun, at times it can be difficult to distinguish the individual shots as quite literally I get "popped" to kingdom come.

So getting a little tired of it, here I am.

Is there a way to work around this cheap trick that UWE might be able to get in on? Because I am aware that consistency checks do little for this type of issue.

And if there isn't a way by the aforementioned, should the pistol be changed / altered so that this exploit cannot be taken advantage of?

-CD121 [Concerned Player]

Comments

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    This will be the 6th time we've had this thread and we're getting very etc, it's a valid point, their stop gap of putting a 0.1 fire rate on it doesn't work, UWE have known about it for months and done nothing, foreseeable-y nothing will be done in the future, short term: deal with it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think a more pertinent question would be: how prevalent is pistol scripting?

I get accused of it all the time, and that is very annoying, considering I don't do anything other than click m1 fast with my index finger.

There certainly was a bug mentioned where the 100ms hard cap wasn't working, and it's possible that this is still an issue (in which case I agree and should like to see this fixed asap!).

With that said, 0.5s is sufficient to kill a skulk, which is easy on skulks that pop around corners then don't move while they try to parasite, or continue to pop out in the same place. 0.5s is not very long at all (count it in your head), and for this reason, I think a lot of people misdiagnose their death as pistol scripting, rather than fair play...
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Whilst xao is correct in that it is something that has been raised before I dont agree with his final sentiment.

The problem I see is that we have players from teh comp scene saying "I can click 10 times a second" and the casual gamers who struggle to click 4-5 times a second (consistently).
    I think the pistol does need to be slowed down...it was a joke in NS1 towards the end and will head the same way in NS2.
    I am not totally convinced that 10 shots a second is appropriate...if most people are achieving this by macros (which always allow for more accurate aiming as you only need to click once).

UWE have left mouse wheel un-bindable to reduce the ability of people to bind mwheelup to attack which has reduced/delayed the emergence of the issue.
    The problem with the 0.1 second cap I would suggest is the same as how people got arund teh AWP re-load times back in the old days (aka pistol rolling) and we now have people having macros that switch weapons to reset the limit.

The problem is that to get around the issue...you almost need a seperate attack command for the pistol so you can keep accurate track of when the last pistol shot was made (or a running record of what weapon fired when for the past ~1 sec) that any subsequent shots are validated against to ensure they dont exceed the rate of fire limit intended.
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Their is a mod called PistolFix on the workshop that fix this (0.1 delay working), I added it to my servers.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    hakenspit said:
    The problem I see is that we have players from teh comp scene saying "I can click 10 times a second" and the casual gamers who struggle to click 4-5 times a second (consistently).
    This just in. Pro players click quickly, its the first step to being good.
    Well Cory posted that mousewheel and lastinv is being added to the next patch so whether or not pistol scripting is prevalent you'll find every fuck and their cat quickly rebinds fire to mwheelup or down on that patch and achieve the same thing. Cool to know there's a mod out to block it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No you won't, because as it exists right now you can only bind a function to one key (no console bind x +attack), WITH the options menu only. So unless people want to fire from their wheel ALL the time, that's not happening.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I've seen only one pistol scripter in my 660 + hours, so you most likely don't know how fast does a script actually make you shoot.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Why don't people ever use the search function before starting a new thread?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I've never seen a pistol script being used in my 300~ hours of playtime, including with the very good players

You can fire pretty fast via clicking, and lag compensation may make it seem like all the shots are coming out on you at once
    edited May 2013
    ezekel said:
    I've never seen a pistol script being used in my 300~ hours of playtime, including with the very good players

You can fire pretty fast via clicking, and lag compensation may make it seem like all the shots are coming out on you at once
    Two possibilities
    You aren't able to differentiate
    You have been the luckiest mofo in NS2 to not encounter one

Protip
    It isn't always speed, sometimes its consistency. Its basically impossible to fire 10 shots perfectly spaced apart. Your fingers will freeze up for a few milliseconds here and there.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    edited May 2013
    Pistol scripting is a real problem.
    Pistol scripting would take about 5 minutes to fix.
    Pistol scripting is still non-adressed.

@ezekel I've never seen an atom. Atoms therefore don't exist.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    ezay said:

Wrong, the only fix is terrible.
    edited May 2013
    ezay said:

What's the solution?

inb4 you think that the main issue with pistol scripting is the speed at which players fire, rather than the fact that they fire without having to push or click anything.
    ezay said:

"adressed" isn't a word, also after that statement I can conclude you're a -snip-
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    The pistol lets you fire a bullet every 0.1s, this means you are in theory able to empty a full magazine in 1second. (10 bullets)

Now search for a click speed test in google.
    Sadly all of those tests are relative long(~20s), so chances are the results are a bit lower than they should be. (at least my finger gets tired after 10s of click spam)
    Anyway, in average i manage about 7-8 clicks per second, which would mean i need around 1.3-1.4s to empty 10 bullets

This means i'm ~0.3-0.4s slower than a script. (and im not even that fast, compared to some other ppl)

Can most ppl really tell the difference?

I feel like this scripter problem is greatly exaggerated, at least i dont feel like there are actually many scripters around. (only encountered a single real one(playing ns2 regularly since engine test), and the only reason i could be sure is because he admitted it :P)

But sure, if there is a good way to deal with scripting without gimping the pistol - im all for it.

Yep, I can click VERY FAST but when I do that it requires my entire hand to be off my mouse and just focusing on clicking (I wouldn't even be able to aim) but just for my regular spam click which is pretty solid, so I've never seen anyone empty a clip fast enough that I felt there was some type of cheating going on; and I've only seen 1 waller / 1 aimbotter in my total time so far.. so I don't really see this as an issue maybe you guys are just getting butt-kicked by better players and resort to calling scripts

Anyway adding a delay will do what, slow down a script? but won't prevent it so that's not a solid solution
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    I've played for over 500 hours and have never seen a pistol scripter. While they do exist, they aren't nearly as prevelant as some would have you believe.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Edited:
    Also you don't actually have to "follow" and aim much most of the time, in a lot of situations you just need to keep the crosshair steady and fire away as fast as possible.

When you need tracking as well, Its purely a practice thing.

Edit2: why does nobody update quotes :/

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Koruyo said:
    The pistol lets you fire a bullet every 0.1s, this means you are in theory able to empty a full magazine in 1second. (10 bullets)

Now search for a click speed test in google.
    Sadly all of those tests are relative long(~20s), so chances are the results are a bit lower than they should be. (at least my finger gets tired after 10s of click spam)
    Anyway, in average i manage about 7-8 clicks per second, which would mean i need around 1.3-1.4s to empty 10 bullets

This means i'm ~0.3-0.4s slower than a script. (and im not even that fast, compared to some other ppl)

I found a speed clicking test  that is only 10 seconds long.

The fastest I can do, with my mouse, is 8.3 clicks per second.  I can't reach the 10 clicks per second to max out the pistol speed.

But really , you cannot deter people that are able to script their mouse to spam attack1.   All you can really do is change the pistol to make scripts pointless for the pistol.

• StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    ezekel wrote: »
    Yep, I can click VERY FAST but when I do that it requires my entire hand to be off my mouse and just focusing on clicking (I wouldn't even be able to aim) but just for my regular spam click which is pretty solid, so I've never seen anyone empty a clip fast enough that I felt there was some type of cheating going on; and I've only seen 1 waller / 1 aimbotter in my total time so far.. so I don't really see this as an issue maybe you guys are just getting butt-kicked by better players and resort to calling scripts

Anyway adding a delay will do what, slow down a script? but won't prevent it so that's not a solid solution
    Exactly that. I can click about 12 times per second with the technique you described. You can do coarse aiming if you hold the mouse with your palm.
    Holding the mouse as usual and clicking as fast as I possibly can without disrupting the aiming, it's about 6-7 clicks per second.
    Koruyo said:

This would be true if the limit was working. We already know it isn't though.

Koruyo said:
    Also you don't actually have to "follow" and aim much 90% of the time, you can usually just try to keep the crosshair steady and fire away as fast as possible. (assuming you predicted lifeform movement correctly)
    What am I reading?
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Xao said:
    This will be the 6th time we've had this thread and we're getting very etc, it's a valid point, their stop gap of putting a 0.1 fire rate on it doesn't work, UWE have known about it for months and done nothing, foreseeable-y nothing will be done in the future, short term: deal with it.
    No fair! my thread on conceding needing revamping was overrun with disagrees and spam flags because it was one of a bajillion and this guy gets agrees! I call shenanigans!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Over 10s I get consistently 80-82 clicks. I can notice it's slower after about 5-6seconds than it is at the beginning, and I'm fairly sure I'm able to get very close to the 1 second for 10 shots. At a burst, the 5 shots required to kill a skulk (especially the standing still ones) is easily possible in 0.5-0.6s. BTW all of this is keeping my hand on my mouse in the normal position, not attempting to click differently to get a faster result.

After fixing the bug that lets you empty the clip in 0.4s is squashed, if people still think 100ms cap is unfair, then it might be worth experimenting with longer hard cap times, like 120ms, 150ms kind of region. Personally, I don't think it's worth pandering to this crowd. If I can click that fast (and I suck), then it's reasonable to assume that a lot of other players can click that fast. I am at no more of an advantage or disadvantage compared to the majority of players in this regard. If I get pistol whipped, it's usually entirely my own bad positional play that let it happen in the first place. I never blame anyone else for this, or accuse them of pistol scripting, because I recognise that I could have done the same thing in their position, too.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I've seen one pistol scripter, so yeah, not exactly a huge problem...

But calling skill at clicking speed does not only sound silly, but is even a bit hardware dependent. Just my own experience, but I can easily click almost twice as fast with a small, hard, tactile mouse, than with a "softer bigger" mouse. In addition to that, people who use palm grip have vastly slower clicking speed than people who use claw grip, just because of how your finger works. (With palm grip you use the whole finger to actuate while with claw grip just the tip.) Basing any gameplay on a mechanic like this is a big eeeeehhhhhh in my books. Just my 2 cents.
    Using that 10s test above I got 75 clicking manually, I got 444 using my autohotkey pistol script. Knowing that there's no cap on pistol fire rate in game you tell me who can beat that, catching a lerk gliding away or towards or catching a fade SS down a straight line with a pistol script = ez200+ dmg in half a second.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    UWE should just take a clue from TF2 and make it so that when you hold attack1 the pistol fires at cap speed.
    Res said:
    UWE should just take a clue from TF2 and make it so that when you hold attack1 the pistol fires at cap speed.
    Rapid fire pistolling is a hallmark of natural selection in my opinion.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good god how are people so oblivious to this... The .1 second fire rate cap does not work, and never has.  It even says in the code that is not working currently.

You can fire a shot every client command interval, so 30 shots a second.  That translates to about 300 ms to fire all 10 shots with a script.  I would be quite surprised if anyone can click 30 times per second, even if they have just one finger on the mouse and are click spamming like crazy.

If you adjust the server move rate even higher, the problem becomes instantly noticeable.  Perhaps I will just record a short video showing this so people will realize that this still is a problem.

As for the fix, there are two ways it can be fixed, one which is quite easy (5 minutes is no lie) and the other being a little more involved.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe a mod... lets call it... PistolFix